I thought this would be the best place to ask this question.
    I appreciate any input thats given.
    Heres my situation, please let me know how I should go about this.

Currently I have a blackberry curve for Verizon. Im leaving the USA for business in London and Paris for 5 months. My curve does not have international capabilities. My upgrade isnt for another year. I need to have a blackberry for business and dont want to pay full retail price at Verizon.

1.Which blackberry would work ?

2.If I buy a phone on ebay can I have my number transferred over even if I didnt buy it directly from Verizon ?

3.Can I get an unlocked phone or does that only work with phones using a sim card ? (i like that blackberry bold 9000 in white..would that work?)

Thanks again!
    DD
    07-08-10 04:51 AM
    Tour/Bold works fine on Verizon. You could always just pick up a GSM phone.
    07-08-10 04:54 AM
    You will be better off getting Verizon 96XX or 95XX. That way you can get on Verizon's International Data Plan because it sounds like you will want BlackBerry services while there. The phone would still need to be unlocked but Verizon will do that for you after they activate your new (ebay bought) phone.

A 9000 would work for calls and text, but you would need some sort of contract plan (either here or overseas) to get BlackBerry services on it. If you want email and BBM the the BlackBerry Plan will be required. The 9000 will NOT work on Verizon at all.
    07-08-10 06:17 AM
    ever summer i travel to europe for 3 months to my home country, i have learned through the years that, its just easier to unlock your blackberry and get a sim card from either movistar or vodafone. the prepaid plans are pretty nice, you can pick up a sim card for about 15 euro and its .15euro a minute. and you can get the blackberry plan prepaid aswell. you can buy either a week at a time for about 8 euro, 2 weeks for about 14 euro, and a month for about 22 euro. You get excellent service no matter where you go because movistar and vodafone are found all across europe and the blackberry plans are very resonable and your not tied to a monthly limit, its unlimited.
    07-08-10 01:28 PM
    VZW offer a global loaner program. If you are not traveling over 21 days and have a BB device already, they will loan you either an 8830 or Storm. The cost for this is 9.99 for shipping to and from the company, any calls made, and iof course I would recommend the data plan. This plan also offers regular type phones for those that own regular type of phones, other PDA's, or smart phones
    07-09-10 11:00 AM
    That is good to know. Too bad it won't work for the OP since they will be gone 5 months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 11:06 AM
    here is the best solution for you:

i travel to europe often (just came back from a 4 month journey) and i had the tour over there. any blackberry with gsm capabilities will work in europe, and maybe if you call verizon and explain to them that you are willing to upgrade to a global blackberry they will move your upgrade date (they are great at doing this, give it a shot!)

now once you have your new device, unlock it. verizon's global plan is absolutely horrible for long term travel. i have a sim card i got for only 5 and then i added blackberry data for only 9 a month, and texting for only 2. calls were set at .15cents a minute since i didnt use voice, but all of my incoming calls were free. i have noticed that european phone plans are way less expensive than america, so it is worth it to get a prepaid sim card. there are many companies that may suit your needs abroad.

if you cannot early upgrade, check the forums/ebay for a new device. you can switch your phone number to the new device and get everything up and running properly before you leave. and the best thing about it is now you can use this new device when you get back to the states since its a global phone!

enjoy europe! i love it there and youre going to have a great experience
    07-09-10 12:20 PM
    so did you pick up the SIM card with the blackberry data and text while you were in Europe? or is there a place you can get that here in the states before you head over there?
    07-09-10 01:14 PM
    so did you pick up the SIM card with the blackberry data and text while you were in Europe? or is there a place you can get that here in the states before you head over there?
    Really?....

07-09-10 02:27 PM
    That is good to know. Too bad it won't work for the OP since they will be gone 5 months.

DAng knew I missed something
    07-09-10 02:27 PM
    since they are european carriers, you need to go there and buy the sim card and add all of the features in the store...

its an easy and simple process (for me, atleast)
    07-09-10 02:56 PM
    Really?....

yes really... but thank you for your contribution to this thread.

I'll be in somewhat remote parts of Europe and not sure if I will run into a store along the way, that's why I asked if it's something you can buy here
    07-09-10 03:10 PM
    I thought this would be the best place to ask this question.
    I appreciate any input thats given.
    Heres my situation, please let me know how I should go about this.

Currently I have a blackberry curve for Verizon. Im leaving the USA for business in London and Paris for 5 months. My curve does not have international capabilities. My upgrade isnt for another year. I need to have a blackberry for business and dont want to pay full retail price at Verizon.

1.Which blackberry would work ?

2.If I buy a phone on ebay can I have my number transferred over even if I didnt buy it directly from Verizon ?

3.Can I get an unlocked phone or does that only work with phones using a sim card ? (i like that blackberry bold 9000 in white..would that work?)

Thanks again!
    DD
    Just to be sure (and others can correct) but the Bold 9000 will NOT work on Verizon. It is the new Bold 9650 that will work.

Also, you might want to call Global services - they may still offer a $50 discount when you add a new global phone or activate it.

From what I've read but not really experienced, the PHONE CALL costs of the Verizon plans are still very expensive even at half price compared with local sim use. But the UNlimited data would only cost you about $35/month more - not cheap but not totally terrible, although five months would add up. I only did it for 3 weeks last summer and did not use the phone for more than about 3 or 4 calls.
    07-09-10 03:49 PM
    yes really... but thank you for your contribution to this thread.

I'll be in somewhat remote parts of Europe and not sure if I will run into a store along the way, that's why I asked if it's something you can buy here
    I'm sure you'll find a European Wireless store here too. Is the USA considered remote Europe? Oh and your welcome.

07-09-10 03:56 PM
    I'm sure you'll find a European Wireless store here too. Is the USA considered remote Europe? Oh and your welcome.

you probably also think that the only place to buy a phone is directly from the wireless store too. I'm glad we have your expertise here on crackberry...

anyway, I found a site that sells international SIM cards in the US.
    07-11-10 06:09 PM

anyway, I found a site that sells international SIM cards in the US.
    Good for you. You deserve a treat!

07-11-10 06:31 PM
    I'm heading to the UK and France next week for a while. Last time I was in the UK I got a sim card that included very inexpensive voice/text but no data. Can anyone suggest a carrier I could use for prepaid for travel in the UK and France that includes Blackberry data?

My email is on Verizon BIS. Will I be able to get to emails pushed to my Blackberry from Verizon BIS while on a prepaid data service on another carrier's network? Also, will my Skype client work?

Thanks!
    07-13-10 12:12 PM
    My email is on Verizon BIS. Will I be able to get to emails pushed to my Blackberry from Verizon BIS while on a prepaid data service on another carrier's network? Also, will my Skype client work?

Thanks!
    I can not answer your first question because I wouldn't know what might be out there for voice and data but if you get BB data from another carrier, you will have to have your pin released from the VZW BIS so you can use it with the other carrier's BIS. You can use the VZW SIM for data and another one for voice and just swap SIMs.
    And the Skype app does not work outside of VZW coverage.
    07-13-10 12:42 PM
    I'm heading to the UK and France next week for a while. Last time I was in the UK I got a sim card that included very inexpensive voice/text but no data. Can anyone suggest a carrier I could use for prepaid for travel in the UK and France that includes Blackberry data?

Thanks!
    check here Europe - PrePaidGSM.net Forum for your options for prepaid uk and france data. that website can answer any questions you may have about sim cards in those countries.

you will get your email through another carriers network since you are leaving verizons territory. it will be handled through the new operator. your skype client will not work, since it only works on the verizon network in the usa. (try nimbuzz for a skype client, or IM+)
    07-13-10 12:43 PM
    I can not answer your first question because I wouldn't know what might be out there for voice and data but if you get BB data from another carrier, you will have to have your pin released from the VZW BIS so you can use it with the other carrier's BIS. You can use the VZW SIM for data and another one for voice and just swap SIMs.
    And the Skype app does not work outside of VZW coverage.
    all you need is for your phone to be unlocked. i didnt need to have my pin released or anything of that sort.
    07-13-10 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD