i have a tour form verizon and am going to london for four months and want to use BBM on my phone while abroad. I have no interest in using the phone for calls (i will get a pay as you go while abroad) and dont really need my emails or internet but I understand that i still need a data package to use BBM. my question is do i need to pay the $65 a month for international unlimited data package, or will BBM still work if i keep paying the $30/mo. that i am currently paying for for domestic data service. If anyone can shed any light on this situation it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    01-03-10 01:43 PM
    If you are going over seas you need the 65 package. If not all the data you use while abroad will be considered roaming and your bill will go threw the roof.
    01-03-10 01:56 PM
    i have a tour form verizon and am going to london for four months and want to use BBM on my phone while abroad. I have no interest in using the phone for calls (i will get a pay as you go while abroad) and dont really need my emails or internet but I understand that i still need a data package to use BBM. my question is do i need to pay the $65 a month for international unlimited data package, or will BBM still work if i keep paying the $30/mo. that i am currently paying for for domestic data service. If anyone can shed any light on this situation it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    The global roaming plan for your phone will be prorated. You are only charged for the days you are away Simply call Verizon and tell them which day you would like it to begin and which day you would like it to end. The rest is done automatically With that in effect you will not be charged extra for data email or BBM. It is included in your plan. Text messages are not included. I believe it is 5 cents to receive and 50 cents to send.

Any phone calls you might make are charged according to the country you are in at the time. My daughter emailed and BBM'd me from Bali. No extra charges.
    01-03-10 02:57 PM
    He said hes is going for four months, so it won't be that prorated.. he will have to pay it.
    01-03-10 03:18 PM
    The $65 global BIS is in lieu of the $30 BIS, so over those four months, you'll pay an extra $120 total. Plus, you'll have voice available if you want to use it (or not), but the data is all-you-can-eat with the device, BBM, browsing, and email. Use it while you have it. It works well, and you'll probably be glad you had it.
    01-03-10 07:18 PM
    You would be better off getting your BB to work on an local carrier. Europe is well know for being able to walk in a mobile store and just buying a SIM. With the local SIM (and with a data plan) you can BBM anyone without incurring international rates. Suspend your Verizon service while you are away and you should come out even.
    01-03-10 07:23 PM
    The only carrier in the UK that offers BlackBerry data on Pay as you Go is Orange.

And BBM will not work with a generic data plan.
    01-03-10 07:26 PM

Thanks
    You can get the plan or leave at pay as you go. its 0.02 a KB, its adds up fast. If you plan on using it a lot just get the plan. Because for 20.48 a MB, after 3 MB's you have paid for the plan, except the plan is Unlimited.
    01-03-10 09:07 PM
    I've done both pay-per-use voice/data and the Global Value plan ($5/month and your per minute calling goes from $1.99 to $.99 per minute). For 4 months, data can get pretty steep.

Orange does offer pre-paid BB service. You can get some info from Mr. SIMcard:

Mr. Simcard - Now You're Talking. Prepaid Blackberry, USA.

Scroll down and check the left most column. However, keep a few things in mind:

1) You will need to unlock your phone (it not already unlocked).
    2) You will have a UK phone number.
    3) You will need to release your BB PIN from VZW prior to activating service with Orange. This can take 3-5 days to process. Or you can use this work around . . . Release BlackBerry PIN in 5 minutes BerryManual.com
    4) You will need to reattach your PIN to VZW upon returning to the US.

Seems like a little bit of work. But you can potentially save a lot of money.
    Last edited by esahota; 01-03-10 at 11:58 PM.
    01-03-10 11:55 PM
    Seems like a little bit of work. But you can potentially save a lot of money.
    ...and therein lies the "bottom line". One can pay for the convenience (VZW Global BIS), depending on one's perceived value of their time. Or, they can take a few steps and save some money in the process.

It kind of falls into the mantra: "Better, Faster, Cheaper ... Pick Two"
    01-04-10 07:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD