These articles were found on Phone scoop.com

AT&T Prepared to Buy Alltel Assets from Verizon
    Today, 2:19 PM by Eric M. Zeman

According to sources cited by the Wall Street Journal, Verizon Wireless is prepared to divest the remaining Alltel Wireless assets for $2.5 billion. Verizon has to divest the assets as required by the FCC for its purchase of Alltel. AT&T is prepared to pay cash for some 24 different markets. Verizon will still have some assets to divest after the sale to AT&T, and has until early July to do so.

Verizon Wireless Shortens Exclusivity Periods
    Today, 10:27 AM by Eric M. Zeman

Verizon Wireless recently revealed that the company has shortened the time it wants exclusive rights to sell handsets from LG and Samsung. By limiting exclusivity to six months, it gives other carriers, such as rural providers, a better chance to offer newer phones. The Associated Carrier Group, which represents a number of smaller, regional players, has complained that the exclusivity deals are anti-competitive. They called Verizon's move a good one, but complained it doesn't go far enough.
    05-08-09 04:45 PM
    These articles were found on Phone scoop.com

AT&T Prepared to Buy Alltel Assets from Verizon
    Today, 2:19 PM by Eric M. Zeman

According to sources cited by the Wall Street Journal, Verizon Wireless is prepared to divest the remaining Alltel Wireless assets for $2.5 billion. Verizon has to divest the assets as required by the FCC for its purchase of Alltel. AT&T is prepared to pay cash for some 24 different markets. Verizon will still have some assets to divest after the sale to AT&T, and has until early July to do so.

Verizon Wireless Shortens Exclusivity Periods
    Today, 10:27 AM by Eric M. Zeman

Verizon Wireless recently revealed that the company has shortened the time it wants exclusive rights to sell handsets from LG and Samsung. By limiting exclusivity to six months, it gives other carriers, such as rural providers, a better chance to offer newer phones. The Associated Carrier Group, which represents a number of smaller, regional players, has complained that the exclusivity deals are anti-competitive. They called Verizon's move a good one, but complained it doesn't go far enough.
    Will AT&T have to provide all of the Alltel customers with new phones to work on their GSM network?
    05-08-09 11:39 PM
    Will AT&T have to provide all of the Alltel customers with new phones to work on their GSM network?
    AT&T will have to convert the network to GSM first I imagine. It's possible that AT&T may keep some CDMA system running for rural roaming revenue.

Some carriers will offer free basic handsets and discounts on the advanced stuff. Certainly there won't be any free BBs on the list...

Looks like a good deal for both carriers, assuming the FCC signs off. I wonder how long it would take for AT&T to convert all 24 MSAs to GSM.
    05-08-09 11:55 PM
    Ahhh I have a close family member with alltel and he suspected this might happen with at&t. Thanks for the tip I will forward it to him since he's on vaca in Hawaii. Oh and congrats on the G of G status too lastraid truly well deserved my friend...
    05-08-09 11:55 PM
    I believe that they will be divesting the GSM portion of Altell. So this will only be a small portion of the Altell purchase that VZW completed.

Verizon had to buy Altell GSM and all, so this is a way for them to get rid of a portion that could not be used and make some money in the process.
    05-09-09 02:11 AM
    I believe that they will be divesting the GSM portion of Altell. So this will only be a small portion of the Altell purchase that VZW completed.

Verizon had to buy Altell GSM and all, so this is a way for them to get rid of a portion that could not be used and make some money in the process.
    I thought Alltel was all CDMA?
    05-09-09 02:52 AM
    I believe when it means it will divest some of the alltel assets it is referring to its spectrum and cell sites leases not actual customers. For example if by buying altel its was acquired 90% share of the wireless spectrum in that area it must sell off 40% to others to open up the market and keep it competative.
    05-09-09 02:58 AM
    You are right Lex. Alltel is an all CDMA network. It is stated in another article that after this plan goes through, the effected customers will need to switch to AT&T phones to continue service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 03:00 AM
    You are right Lex. Alltel is an all CDMA network. It is stated in another article that after this plan goes through, the effected customers will need to switch to AT&T phones to continue service.

So I am not clear on this post

05-09-09 03:06 AM
    So I am not clear on this post

I think that they just mixed up CDMA with GSM. There is another article that is on yahoo that better explains the entire deal.

05-09-09 03:16 AM
    verizon is being forced by the governemnet to sell some of the spectrum that it acquired in its dealing with altel so that they can't make a monopoly in a market. they are not selling customers/complete markets. no one has to get a att phone (unless they want to go to att).
    Thanks for this.
    05-09-09 03:24 AM
    It service was all CDMA. But remember that Western Wireless became part of Alltel. As such, Alltel had all of Western's GSM properties and maintained many of them as GSM, even though they converted all of Western"s customers to CDMA.

It was a situation similar to VZW's acquisition of Unicel.

What is unclear is how much of the divested properties are old Western GSM ones.

In the end, it doesn't matter much, as the majority of the reported areas are underperforming and many are less than profitable. I can see AT&T maintaining the CDMA areas as such, to gain roaming revenues.

05-09-09 03:33 AM
    however it doesn't really matter in the full aspects as both verizon an at&t are heading to LTE

so over time the gsm vs cdma isn't going to matter anyway..
    05-09-09 03:43 AM
    am sure as well, that areas being sold off that VZW has some type of coverage there already
    05-09-09 08:39 AM
    Oh and congrats on the G of G status too lastraid truly well deserved my friend...

Thank you
    05-09-09 08:44 AM
    I believe when it means it will divest some of the alltel assets it is referring to its spectrum and cell sites leases not actual customers. For example if by buying altel its was acquired 90% share of the wireless spectrum in that area it must sell off 40% to others to open up the market and keep it competative.
    Verizon to Sell Some Alltel Assets to AT&T - WSJ.com

It does affect customers as well. The deal will affect 2.1M subs in 22 states.

Because these are overlap areas, VZW already has customers within the footprint/MSA to be divested.

AT&T will get the spectrum, hard assets, and customers. It will then be up to AT&T how those customers are "handled". AT&T will convert the infrastructure to GSM, convert their customers to GSM hardware, et voila.

Is it possible that AT&T will lose some of those customers through attrition? Yes. Nothing substantial though.
    05-09-09 09:11 AM
    am sure as well, that areas being sold off that VZW has some type of coverage there already
    It includes ALL OF THE DAKOTAS!

Oh wait - that's only affecting 32 people & a bear.

Something to remember - as mentioned by someone above - LTE. In many of these areas, the sale of assets means mostly site properties. These are all within areas VZW already serves & will be converted to LTE.

Two towers, a block apart, is silly.

05-09-09 12:37 PM
    05-09-09 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD