04-28-09 10:00 AM
42 12
tools
    I know that there are "security issues" but remember, you can still only use BBMaps and VZW Navigator with the GPS functionality of these phones. You still can not use Google Maps, Loopt, etc. with these BBs, so there is still a bit that is locked down.
    My response to the person that said no GPS worked. I realize that other apps do not work. VZW WILL stand fast on their requirement for network and peraonl security. No matter how much people object to it.
    04-26-09 09:39 PM
    you 2 are truly annoying! And despite your whining, you keep posting.

Rediculous!

Rediculous? Is that like muli-diculous or something?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 09:53 PM
    Last time I checked, and starting with the pearl on up to the storm now can use GPS. Get your facts straight please. Aso now the 8830 has 4.5 on it, and I will need to research this, but may it can now use BBmaps as well. WOW that actually gives educational to do.

I hope I set precedent here for you
    Fine. I have no objections to facts. And, yes, finally, Verizon has released 4.5 for the 8830WE but that was just this past week so BBMaps may in fact work. Frankly, I don't know if that has opened the 8830's gps for BBmaps or not. Care to check and post facts.

But ANYBODY reading this for info on what Verizon does or does not offer for other than the Storm - you still can't use gps-logger, gps-ed, google, Blackstar, some of the golf gps programs, the photo-tagging gps programs, the free amazegps voice navigation, garmin if you want a one-time cost, bbtracker, moosetracks and a number of other gps programs designed for the BB's. Those, folks, are the facts, too. And to get the facts even straighter, you can actually use some of these programs if you purchase a separate 3rd party bluetooth gps unit. So far, at least, verizon has not taken away a user's right to give away their privacy if they so choose. And further, my WORLD EDITION will not be able to use a mapping/voice navigation gps program elsewhere in the WORLD because, as far as I know, verizon's offering is only for this side of the ponds.
    Last edited by F2; 04-27-09 at 12:58 AM.
    04-27-09 12:55 AM
    Last time I checked, and starting with the pearl on up to the storm now can use GPS. Get your facts straight please. Aso now the 8830 has 4.5 on it, and I will need to research this, but may it can now use BBmaps as well. WOW that actually gives educational to do.

I hope I set precedent here for you
    lr, an unlocked GPS is very different than a GPS that only works only with BBMaps. So please get your facts straight

And don't use the storm as a model for all verizon blackberries, thank you
    04-27-09 10:55 AM
    [I don't want to start on the same rampid discussion
    Then why did you?
    04-27-09 11:40 AM
    You guys are all killing me.

Anyway, anyone who expects things from a phone should do some research prior to buying it and signing a contract. If you sign a contract without researching it, shame on you!

04-27-09 12:00 PM
    I have just switched to big red and have been following the GPS and wifi ( in the niagara forum ) and I notice that the word security comes up lot especially from the people that somehow support VZ lockdown policy. If having wifi and gps is that much of a security problem then why is VZ the only one that locks/restricts features on their phones. I know the wifi thing may be related to cdma but everyone else gps is unlocked as far as I know. I think its just an excuse to lock gps IMHO.
    I'm sure I'll get cut down by some of the VZ fanboys on here lol. I joined VZ because of superior coverage in the places I work at, so I give big red a big thumbs up with there coverage and evdo speeds :-).
    04-27-09 02:29 PM
    Welcome to the network. Hopefully you expect more from a cell phone company then unlocked GPS.
    04-27-09 02:43 PM
    Yes unlocked GPS is important to me, but I can't complain because my storm works perfect on google maps which I use lot.
    So with the announcement that the storm 2 will have wifi I have hope that VZ is listening to some of the complaints that we are having.

04-27-09 02:58 PM
    Yes unlocked GPS is important to me, but I can't complain because my storm works perfect on google maps which I use lot.
    So with the announcement that the storm 2 will have wifi I have hope that VZ is listening to some of the complaints that we are having.

Yea, Verizon logs onto crackberry and takes the few people whining about "no wifi" into consideration... We have 80 million customers nationwide, obviously wi-fi isnt a deal breaker for the general populus.
    04-27-09 03:11 PM
    Then why would they bother adding it to the next storm? I never thought VZ payed any attention to CB but they obviously do to some other sites where people voice there complaints because there are callbacks.
    You VZ fanboys don't like to back down you? No offense. :-).

04-27-09 03:18 PM
    Ok, the fanboy crack probably wasn't called for. I know that the storm is the only VZ bb with dual mode gps.
    But if what you say is true how come my Alltel curve and my 8900 all work with google maps and other gps apps? Doesn't that mean they have standalone gps?

04-27-09 03:44 PM
    You guys are all killing me.

Anyway, anyone who expects things from a phone should do some research prior to buying it and signing a contract. If you sign a contract without researching it, shame on you!

Right. That's why this new thread, repeating some of the information in the locked-thread is important to those researching phones and carriers.
    04-27-09 08:15 PM
    Then why would they bother adding it to the next storm? I never thought VZ payed any attention to CB but they obviously do to some other sites where people voice there complaints because there are callbacks.
    You VZ fanboys don't like to back down you? No offense. :-).

I wish I understood the strange loyalty. Personally, I think its just a few ppl with extra loud voices in all honesty. But regardless, to be able to say "who cares" when a company cuts or blocks any type of services is beyond me! I always said vz has good CS, good coverage, etc. And just like anything, I pride myself on being able to point out the good, the bad, the right, the wrong in ANY company, topic, discussion, etc. VZ fan boys need to learn to do the same. They are the reason vz is the only company to short hand its customers the way it does! These are the guys that get the finger and end up coming back for more
    04-27-09 09:43 PM
    What I am hoping for with LTE eventually is we can pick our phone, then pick any network based on price, coverage etc. It would be awesome to have Verizons network totally open. I would pay a premium for that! I came from gsm so I am used to everything working on any phone and am still trying to grasp the business model of locking features down. I agree with one of the posters above tho, it must not matter that VZW disables these things because they are still adding big time subs. It matters to tech freaks like me and unfortunately we are the minority. But things are looking up, they unlocked the storms gps, and we are hearing rumors of VZW bbs with wifi.
    04-27-09 10:09 PM
    yea, vz always comes around. It happened years ago when they used to be the only carrier to restrict ringtones to only the ones u purchased on v-cast, I remember when u couldn't even use a picture as a wallpaper without paying for it. Same with bluetooth file sharing being locked down, etc. Thats why they have this reputation. In the end tho, they always come around, too bad their always the last to do so. As if their limited phone selection wasn't bad enough.

tellin ya, if it wasn't for that quality network, I would of been gone! Still debating too lol
    04-28-09 09:12 AM
    yea, vz always comes around. It happened years ago when they used to be the only carrier to restrict ringtones to only the ones u purchased on v-cast, I remember when u couldn't even use a picture as a wallpaper without paying for it. Same with bluetooth file sharing being locked down, etc. Thats why they have this reputation. In the end tho, they always come around, too bad their always the last to do so. As if their limited phone selection wasn't bad enough.

tellin ya, if it wasn't for that quality network, I would of been gone! Still debating too lol
    Stop debating and just leave. If I had to think twice why I'm with a certain company for some kind of service, I wouldn't be with that company. But, that's just me. If Verizon has made me as upset as they seem to have made you, I would disconnect and go to some other carrier, I wouldn't care if I had to pay $300 etf, I would be gone today.
    04-28-09 10:00 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD