04-28-09 10:00 AM
42 12
tools
    Verizon Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll to the middle of the page to the controversy section. It appears that there has already been a law suit filed against Verizon for GPS locking on November 30th, 2007. I don't want to start on the same rampid discussion of wifi, but I was wondering if anyone knows of this, can add to it, or offer opinion or info on what was filed, what the outcome was, etc.

I can't find anything else except for this section on wiki
    04-24-09 09:51 AM

Scroll to the middle of the page to the controversy section. It appears that there has already been a law suit filed against Verizon for GPS locking on November 30th, 2007. I don't want to start on the same rampid discussion of wifi, but I was wondering if anyone knows of this, can add to it, or offer opinion or info on what was filed, what the outcome was, etc.

So the moderators shut down our last thread so we start another! AWSOME!

good article btw...
    04-24-09 09:55 AM
    Verizon Quietly Disables BlackBerry GPS - Dave's Download (usnews.com)

another... doesn't speak of any lawsuit. But it is on subject.

btw, lets keep this one professional so it won't be closed down. Regardless of opinion, this is still an issue lots of us have to deal with, with Verizon. And since it affects blackberries, it needs a place on here for continued discussion and news...
    04-24-09 09:59 AM
    Like it was mentioned in the old thread (NUMEROUS TIMES) that others have tried and lost. Just let the dang subject DIE! there are better things that need to be talked about and resolve here.

PS hope they shut this one down as well, before it gets out of hand
    04-24-09 10:24 AM
    Like it was mentioned in the old thread (NUMEROUS TIMES) that others have tried and lost. Just let the dang subject DIE! there are better things that need to be talked about and resolve here.

PS hope they shut this one down as well, before it gets out of hand
    Now now LR....let's calm down. No reason to shut it down unless it gets out of hand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 11:49 AM
    Now now LR....let's calm down. No reason to shut it down unless it gets out of hand.

I am calm - It is just this subject is sooooooooooo burned out. Can't kill a dead horse. Know what I mean
    04-24-09 11:52 AM
    Newb question: how would a thread about GPS (or wi-fi) get so out of hand that it would have to be deleted?

04-24-09 12:17 PM
    As I posted in another thread....my gps is unlocked because I can use it with google maps and other apps. Does unlocking the SIM have something to do with it? Im one of the lucky ones I guess and no Im not bragging.
    Last edited by oifvet1967; 04-24-09 at 12:51 PM.
    04-24-09 12:48 PM
    The Storm has a dual-mode GPS chip in it. It will work without network support, unlike other CDMA BlackBerrys.

I have an 8330 on Verizon.
    04-24-09 12:51 PM
    Ah - the negatives of mobile access here kept me from seeing that.

You either have one of the very few dual-mode capable Curves (I have one) or you're working off tower triangulation. When you use Google Maps, how close does it tell you it is accurate to?

Ya I thought that too but then it got down to like 3 meters one time. Average when Im outside is around 10 meters and I dont think there are 3 towers that close.
    04-24-09 01:26 PM

There was about a 25 page thread about this. Im sure you posted 40 times in there too.
    04-24-09 02:56 PM
    3-10 meters, it is working. Anything over 100 meters would be triangulation.

For the naysayers again - why doesn't VZW block his Curve & mine? Oh wait, I know - they hate you & not us.

As I am sure of it, too.

Well said! I wonder why some are blocked and some arent?
    04-24-09 04:40 PM
    Not deleted - just closed from further posting, as they were deemed to be going in circles or getting way off topic.

Here is the most reliable info on the only suit to have had any traction.

That involved early advertising of the 8830 - and it was dropped when VZW agreed to slightly alter an advertising phrase - one they'd already done before the suit was filed.

The altered phrase has been used ever since for all phones, including Curve, Pearl & even Storm.

So the GPS critics are still beating that old horse, hoping to rewrite history.

Oh. Makes sense; I was actually thinking that there were posters calling each other idiots or something :/ lol. Thanks for letting me in the know

04-24-09 05:57 PM
    Ah - the negatives of mobile access here kept me from seeing that.

You either have one of the very few dual-mode capable Curves (I have one) or you're working off tower triangulation. When you use Google Maps, how close does it tell you it is accurate to?

Hmmm. How do you know if you have one of these dual mode Curves???

04-24-09 06:18 PM
    google maps is the best way right now to find out if your gps is working on a curve. If your location is triangulated, it'll place you within a circle anywhere from 100s to 1000s of meters. If its only single digits, you've got GPS...

Point of the topic... the controversy is there. Just as with wifi eimination on all CDMA devices and the new 9630, this locked GPS issue is rediculous and the fact that there is good accurate information on wiki about it and the fact that there are news reporters posting blogs and articles about it means that it has legs... So for those haters, don't act like this is non sense. I assure you, you can petition to have GPS locked down for your devices if and when we get the total unlock. Maybe then I'll understand your dying support for big red from this topic...
    04-25-09 08:53 AM
    Please lock this thread.
    04-25-09 04:08 PM
    you 2 are truly annoying! And despite your whining, you keep posting.

Rediculous!
    04-26-09 02:09 AM

Rediculous!

But whining and complaining about locked GPS over and over again isnt annoying....
    04-26-09 04:21 PM
    But whining and complaining about locked GPS over and over again isnt annoying....
    Don't forget about the constant whining and complaining about "no wi-fi".
    04-26-09 04:30 PM
    Stay on topic and there will be no issues. As mentioned in previous threads this is your 1 and only warning.
    04-26-09 04:48 PM
    If a GPS application such as Garmin or Mapquest works with accuracy ( <100 meters. ).

I am sure if I ripped mine apart or had a RIM S/N key, I could tell that way, but it was far simpler to just put an app & run with it.

I discovered mine when I was out with scouts. I'd installed Garmin with a puck. I didn't know the Garmin software automatically turned my GPS location on at install. Accidentally left the puck in the truck & still got signal. On a five-mile hike even - bluetooth wasn't in play.

No wonder you don't care that the rest of us are locked out!
    04-26-09 04:56 PM
    Well, it is in a way but it also keeps the thread and subject up front so that potential verizon customers actually know about this limitation just in case a customer rep accidentally says the BB's have a gps that works (other than 911).

I mean, I also keep reading the response - "if only people did their research they would have known and would not have anything to complain about!"

Well, this makes doing the research easier - LOCKED GPS up close and personal
    04-26-09 05:01 PM

Rediculous!
    I bet if I looked through the posts, I'd find more whining posts from you .
    04-26-09 08:38 PM
    Well, it is in a way but it also keeps the thread and subject up front so that potential verizon customers actually know about this limitation just in case a customer rep accidentally says the BB's have a gps that works (other than 911).
    Last time I checked, and starting with the pearl on up to the storm now can use GPS. Get your facts straight please. Aso now the 8830 has 4.5 on it, and I will need to research this, but may it can now use BBmaps as well. WOW that actually gives educational to do.

I hope I set precedent here for you
    04-26-09 09:01 PM
    Last time I checked, and starting with the pearl on up to the storm now can use GPS. Get your facts straight please. Aso now the 8830 has 4.5 on it, and I will need to research this, but may it can now use BBmaps as well. WOW that actually gives educational to do.

I hope I set precedent here for you
    I know that there are "security issues" but remember, you can still only use BBMaps and VZW Navigator with the GPS functionality of these phones. You still can not use Google Maps, Loopt, etc. with these BBs, so there is still a bit that is locked down.
    04-26-09 09:32 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD