07-24-09 05:15 PM
34 12
tools
    the iphone is not the only exclusive. Lets not forget the Bold, the 8900, and the upcoming Onyx in the blackberry world. Don't count AT&T out just yet if they lost iphone. They are still the king of getting Blackberries first despite the laggier network. They are still the king of GSM, sim cards, data/voice together, wifi + 3g and travel which are all very desirable features. I don't think the iphone is as much of a game changer as one thinks.
    07-21-09 06:41 PM
    the iphone is not the only exclusive. Lets not forget the Bold, the 8900, and the upcoming Onyx in the blackberry world..
    I am sure T-Mobile will be surprised that they are selling AT&T exclusives.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 07:29 PM
    the iphone is not the only exclusive. Lets not forget the Bold, the 8900, and the upcoming Onyx in the blackberry world. Don't count AT&T out just yet if they lost iphone. They are still the king of getting Blackberries first despite the laggier network. They are still the king of GSM, sim cards, data/voice together, wifi + 3g and travel which are all very desirable features. I don't think the iphone is as much of a game changer as one thinks.
    I'm not disagreeing with the above statement but gonna post this for consideration.

1st quarter results for ATT was 1.2 million new subscribers with 40% of those were new iphone activations.

1st quarter results for VZ was 1.3 million new subscibers and they don't have anything that generates the excitement like the iphone.

Take away the iphone and ATT needs to worry IMO unless they want to hang out with Sprint

If the above numbers are wrong please correct me, they were taken from various business sites.
    07-21-09 07:31 PM
    After having at&t in the past, I can honestly say that I would love nothing more than to see at&t go bankrupt and watch their execs lose all of their money. Their corporation is filled with liars and cheats more than any company I've ever done business with and I honestly don't understand how they have hoodwinked so many people for so long into keeping their service.

I am happy to see that Verizon is finally listening to its customers with regards to things like unlocking GPS and enabling WiFi. After acquiring Alltel and consequently becoming the largest carrier in the country, I think they now realize they have at&t on the ropes. at&t has, for years, relied on having the "coolest, newest" phones as its best selling point--well, that, and lying about having the fewest dropped calls and fastest 3G network. But, I digress. I think it is safe to say, however, that once Verizon rolls out LTE (and in doing so eliminates another major complaint--no SIM cards), it could seriously spell the beginning of the end for at&t, a company that has relied on poor business practices for far too long.
    Agreed
    07-21-09 08:26 PM
    I'm not disagreeing with the above statement but gonna post this for consideration.

1st quarter results for ATT was 1.2 million new subscribers with 40% of those were new iphone activations.

1st quarter results for VZ was 1.3 million new subscibers and they don't have anything that generates the excitement like the iphone.

Take away the iphone and ATT needs to worry IMO unless they want to hang out with Sprint

If the above numbers are wrong please correct me, they were taken from various business sites.
    You're not far off, considering most of what you find online are estimates - annual reports are a bit more accurate.

As we sit, Wall Street loves Apple & Microsoft; they are either cautious or avoiding RIM. Part of this is profits & forecasts. Another sizeable issue is innovation. While Apple & Microsoft innovate, RIM is playing catchup, using bare-bones business communications devices gussied up to sell to a gullible consumer base. I've seen BlackBerry 5.0 - the same old, same old there with a few flashy features. WinMo 6.5 is poised to make a splash shortly, with a dramatically improved reliability & UI. WinMo 7.0, not too long after, is set to blow the doors off the mobile world. Apple will continue to be Apple & focus on the consumer & GenX/Y/whatever crowd.

Witness what new & upcoming non-BlackBerry phones are capable of - the new Omnia II will be about 10X more potent than anything RIM has in the pipeline, whether Onyx, Storm2, Magnum, etc. If revolutionary for RIM is a touchpad to replace a trackball that replaced a wheel, RIM will not be a contender for long. Where Apple innovates, RIM copies - and does a poor job at it.

Look at what RIM has introduced since this time last year - name me one "innovation" they have put forth. In the same timeframe, look at the competition - there is no comparison.

VZW is doing things more along the lines of Apple & Microsoft. Instead of being overly cautious, like RIM, they are forging ahead. With the advent of LTE, coupled with licensing scores that will net them the entire country, compared with AT&T's apx 80% & reduced bandwidth, we are set to see VZW knock down the competition with mobile, mobile data, stationary wireless telco/broadband & transitional products. Imagine a device that will connect to a home base, offering mobile telephone extensions (hi mom, your granddaughter just picked up the other phone) while switching seamlessly to priate line or extended mobile service. Throw in mobile broadband that will blow away all but the best fiber optic offerings, plus video and you have a lineup that is hard to ignore.

Even for Apple.

AT&T isn't going anywhere, but considering their meager growth has been almost solely on the backs of iPhone & acquisitions and it isn't hard to see where they will have troubles if they lose their iPhone exclusive - or worse, if VZW gets a better iPhone.

AT&T will not perish - but they will be relegated to a distant second place, with Sprint even further back.

A sidenote directed toward the VZW haters out there. The Samsung Omnia/Saga came with cripped GPS functionality, even though VZW had requested full standalone ability at launch. There seems to have been some issues with compatibility between the two GPS modes. Well, just a few days ago, Samsung released a software patch to fix the GPS. It is available through Samsung, although I received a notice about it from VZW.

07-21-09 09:32 PM
    I found this post while trying to get a true answer on who has the best network. All the negative points that have been said about AT&T has been expressed before about all of the carriers. I have had personal experience with Sprint, T-mobile and AT&T. AT&T is the best in my area. I have had many VZM customers say their coverage sucks down here. But this is AT&T strong hold, San Antonio only a few hours away and there lies the company who reunited the baby bells a few years back. AT&T is way more than a wireless company. It is going no where, they have the resources to do what they need to do to keep completive. I'll admit AT&T is high as a Giraffe *****, as is VZM. Sprint is reasonable but lacks the network down here. I just wish all carriers would get equally neat phones. No other carrier has something like the iPhone or the Bold. Onyx is going to AT&T also. Give them one thing, they seem to get the neat phones exclusively. Off to check out VZM website and see what neat phones they have.
    at&t and its customers have been lucky in the past to get exclusive phone offers (the iPhone, in case you didn't know, was offered to Verizon first, but VZW made a major gaffe in turning Apple down), but this won't be the case forever. Within the next couple of years, as VZW rolls over to the LTE 4G standard, it's phones will be interchangeable with other LTE carrier's phones. So, even if at&t scores more exclusive deals, VZW customers will be able to buy the phones and use them on VZW's far superior network.

And speaking of networks, no carrier can claim to be the best in every single inch of the United States. But far more often than not, if you pick a random location from a US map, Verizon will have better voice and data coverage there than at&t. That's why you'd be hard pressed to find a legitimate publication rating at&t's overall coverage as being even in the same league as Verizon's, let alone better.
    07-21-09 09:35 PM
    I actually quite like AT&T. They're always really nice on the phone, and I've never had any service trouble, and when I have, they've always bent over backwards to help me. Maybe because I'm a girl?
    07-21-09 09:37 PM
    at&t and its customers have been lucky in the past to get exclusive phone offers (the iPhone, in case you didn't know, was offered to Verizon first, but VZW made a major gaffe in turning Apple down),
    I disagree with this assessment. While the iPhone would have been a boon for VZW subscribers, the conditions Apple was seeking at the time with the deployment of the device was way beyond anything that any "stable" carrier would agree to. We like to complain sometimes about VZWs control over devices (common GUI for dumb phones, etc.), but with that control, it allowed VZW to streamline their support (part of their outstanding customer service). Apple wanted direct activation, first line of support, and far more money per device than VZW was comfortable giving up. They were right to not change their business model.

AT&Ts subscriber rates are up, but revenues are flat, or down. VZW has been able to out-pace AT&T in activations (without the iPhone), revenues are way up, and I bet their churn rates are lower too.

So, the iPhone saved AT&T because AT&T needed saving (not from oblivion, but from slow growth). However, AT&T had to change their model for just one device. A device the hogs resources on the network, as well as personnel in the office to carry, and the financials are showing a resulting growth for the effort.

but this won't be the case forever. Within the next couple of years, as VZW rolls over to the LTE 4G standard, it's phones will be interchangeable with other LTE carrier's phones. So, even if at&t scores more exclusive deals, VZW customers will be able to buy the phones and use them on VZW's far superior network.
    I knew there's been all this talk about open sourced devices, but will it really be that open?
    07-23-09 07:20 AM
    Just read this article and thought about this thread.

Gizmodo Juicer Hub

07-24-09 05:15 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD