09-22-09 06:45 PM
48 12
tools
    I've been a loyal Verizon customer for nearly 10 years now and I have to say I mostly agree with this article. Verizon is way too cocky when it comes to "the network" and has a long history of ignoring the actual phones. I think in the last year or two, this has somewhat changed, but they're still not offering some of the most exciting phones out there.

This will all change in a couple years when they make the big switch over to LTE. There shouldn't be any more carrier restrictions and consumers will be free to choose any phone they want with any carrier they want. iPhone, Pre, Android, WM, Nokia, you name it... Should be a big win for everybody.

For now, we should be seeing several new smartphones in the next few months - Storm 2, Curve 8530, Palm Pre, Motorola Sholes (Android-based), Samsung Omnia 2 (WM6.5), etc...
    I can' remember how long I've been a VZW customer, but it has to be over 10 years. I agree in that Verizon doesn't have the "coolest" phones. When I ask my ATT phone carrying associates how their service is, I get a: "Not too bad". To me that says it all. I still have to remind myself the primary reason for owning a phone is to make phone calls. Emails, browsing, playing games, updating facebook all comes second. Some people view the conservative phone lineup as cocky I view it as a conservative business plan to stay on the leading edge and not the bleeding edge. Do you think Sprint *wants* to charge $79 for an all in one plan?
    09-18-09 09:25 AM
    "I get a: "Not too bad". To me that says it all. I still have to remind myself the primary reason for owning a phone is to make phone calls."

I agree. When my brother snaps his leg dirtbiking and we are haulin @ss callin people on the way back into town whose phone works??? VZW. Sure maybe my tour isn't as pretty as my friend's iphone but he's sittin there like a jackass tryin to make calls...

And yeah I effed that quote up so I just went with the quotations
    09-18-09 09:32 AM
    nice find, id say thats all pretty accurate
    09-18-09 09:43 AM
    Make sense since Verizon customers are known for having a Kanye complex. Yo carriers, I'm really happy for you, I'll let you finish, but Verizon is the greatest carrier of all time!!! Instead of this being a one night only rant, it's every day.
    It's "Imma let you finish" But otherwise dead on.
    09-18-09 09:55 AM
    The title of the article pulled me in but it was frankly a crap piece of journalism. If it was a high school term paper, it would have failed, because they never even answered the title question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 10:01 AM
    While I agree that Verizon doesnt have the greatest selection of phones... I think network coverage trumps. At least for me. I've always been an LG lover too so its nice to have such a wide range of LG phones.. even IF 4 of them are basically the same phone... ie Versa, Voyager, Env Touch...
    Have you compared these??? They look just a like! I thought it was funny.
    09-18-09 10:24 AM
    True and Motorola's blow. But I think that being the first to get the Storm/Tour/Storm 2 there's enough options to keep people happy.
    09-18-09 10:31 AM
    Do you think Sprint *wants* to charge $79 for an all in one plan?
    Of course they don't - if they could, they'd be matching AT&T & VZW, after subtracting a dollar.

But they can't.

09-18-09 11:07 AM
    I loved the focus on Motorola and Palm...the two companies who've been left in the dust in the last couple of years.
    09-18-09 04:48 PM
    I loved the focus on Motorola and Palm...the two companies who've been left in the dust in the last couple of years.
    And that part surprises you?

In this business, what is hot today may be forgotten history tomorrow.

It wasn't all that many years ago that Moto, Nokia, Qualcomm (yes, they used to make the entire phone), Kyocera, Audiovox & others spent time in the limelight. Then they were all but gone from the landscape. Qualcomm can be excused, because they sold out to Kyocera. The others are mostly still around, but as niche players.

All it takes is one bad product, one miscalculation, one errant marketing campaign, one poor gamble or one new competitor product to change everything.

It was less that twenty years ago when AT&T, GM & Exxon were constantly battling for position as the world's top three companies. The mighty do fall. It would take longer now to topple VZW or AT&T - but the phone makers don't all have the size, the base, the loyalty or the contracts. Nokia is big enough. LG is big enough. Moto is even big enough. All of the manufacturers who do more than just phones have the power to shake things up & crush what is today's realities.

Tomorrow, all could be different. With LTE, the VZW phone selection landscape could change dramatically.
    09-18-09 05:57 PM
    very interesting. Personally, I'm wiling to bet that for manufacturers, verizon is the hardest to deal with. Locked features and big red control im sure is a huge part of it
    That's interesting. In smartphones, what features does verizon lock and control besides GPS, which they are opening up on in recent times?
    09-19-09 11:56 PM
    That's interesting. In smartphones, what features does verizon lock and control besides GPS, which they are opening up on in recent times?
    Nothing locked - not even GPS.

Never has been.

09-20-09 12:00 AM
    Make sense since Verizon customers are known for having a Kanye complex. Yo carriers, I'm really happy for you, I'll let you finish, but Verizon is the greatest carrier of all time!!! Instead of this being a one night only rant, it's every day.
    And the hate continues. . . Lol. . . . But the network comes through for me again. . . . Just updated the facebook, emailed the wife, and posting on this forum all from the back of the strip club! . . . My AT&T clad friend. . . . . Asking me to text a buddy to see what he's doing. . . . .

09-20-09 12:04 AM
    What good is the coolest phone if you can't use it because of a poor network?
    09-20-09 09:36 PM
    Friend just picked up a TP2. I have to say very sexy device. Screen is gorgeous. To bulky for me however. I can see the half-life of the battery on the TP2 to be miniscule if you pound away on it.
    09-21-09 11:51 PM
    Friend just picked up a TP2. I have to say very sexy device. Screen is gorgeous. To bulky for me however. I can see the half-life of the battery on the TP2 to be miniscule if you pound away on it.
    I have to say the TP2 is a sweet phone. The bulk isn't offputting to me with my handspan.
    I just am not a huge HTC fan - but their XDA resource is beyond phenominal.

09-22-09 12:27 AM
    I have to say the TP2 is a sweet phone. The bulk isn't offputting to me with my handspan.
    I just am not a huge HTC fan - but their XDA resource is beyond phenominal.

I liked the fact there is slide out QWERTY keyboard. RIM should be looking at producing a device similiar to this...it would be a winner.
    09-22-09 09:33 AM
    I liked the fact there is slide out QWERTY keyboard. RIM should be looking at producing a device similiar to this...it would be a winner.
    That slide-out keyboard is probably the best in the business right now. Lots of room, five rows & a very high-quality feel. All around, an extremely nice device.

09-22-09 09:38 AM
    I have VZW and love the coverage. But why all the excuses? VZW should be able to have both the best network and be releasing market leading hardware. These two things are not mutually exclusive.
    09-22-09 04:52 PM
    Nothing locked - not even GPS.

Never has been.

GPS has always been locked up until recently.
    09-22-09 04:55 PM
    That's all I've heard as well. I've heard they unlocked it for the newer phones, but my curve's GPS sure as heck don't work!
    09-22-09 05:42 PM
    Hmmm...
    No.. GPS is NOT locked... Sorry your 3rd party apps aren't supported...
    Thanks for playing

09-22-09 05:44 PM
    Not on devices with full GPS capability. The devices you're referring to did not have standalone GPS.

Can you swim alone or do you need someone to hold your hand? VZW didn't want to hold your phone's hand. They still don't. There are just some phones that can do it without network PDE connectivity - those are the ones where GPS works.

If you can put two & two together, you can understand GPS was not locked - you simply bought a phone without full capability.
    That's all I've heard as well. I've heard they unlocked it for the newer phones, but my curve's GPS sure as heck don't work!
    You've been listening to the wrong people - it never will work on the Curve.

No network changes - just issues with unsupported apps or different GPS chips.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 09-22-09 at 06:48 PM.
    09-22-09 06:45 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD