Hey wassup everyone i got a blackberry storm from a friends yesterday with a cracked screen , i know it sucks. Bt the screen is cracked on the side not affecting the functionality of the phone but it doe have 2 lines but as i said before phone is fully functionally. My question to you guys would be in order for me to get BIG RED to replace the phone would i have to have it active on my account for 30 days? I kno i would have to go through asurion and pay the 50 dollars so what would you guys say do?
    01-09-10 08:46 AM
    VZW will not replace the device with a cracked screen nor would Asurion as it was not purchased new by you. Neither will cover a used device purchased or gifted from someone else. Sorry
    01-09-10 09:01 AM
    Ok so you are telling me that i pay 8 dollars a month for the insurance/asurion and they wont cover a phone that i have put on my plan? Well i have had the same delima before and i added the phone on my plan called verizon and they told me that they wont cover it but did tell me that i can pay asurion the 50 dollar deductable and get a new replacement phone. So i did that received the replacement phone added it back to my account and verizon coved it the so i was able to take it in to the store to get technical support and if it needed to be replaced they would replace it on the spot.
    01-09-10 09:06 AM
    Ok so you are telling me that i pay 8 dollars a month for the insurance/asurion and they wont cover a phone that i have put on my plan? Well i have had the same delima before and i added the phone on my plan called verizon and they told me that they wont cover it but did tell me that i can pay asurion the 50 dollar deductable and get a new replacement phone. So i did that received the replacement phone added it back to my account and verizon coved it the so i was able to take it in to the store to get technical support and if it needed to be replaced they would replace it on the spot.
    Lets put this way, if the rep does their job right, they should remove the insurance when a used device is added to the account. I will leave at that and let you make the moral decision to the right thing, or not.

Good luck.
    01-09-10 09:11 AM
    I have argued this with a friend of mine and now I am not sure what the answer is. A little back story. I told him the same thing lastraid is telling you but he has been able to use the insurance on several phones he bought from others. He told me to look at Asurians contract and I did.

Let me ask you a question lastraid so I can actually understand this. You would know because you deal with this stuff and I don't.

Is it a Verizon policy or an Asurian policy to remove the insurance? I looked on the Asurian agreement and the only requirements they have on what they will insure is that the phone must have airtime used after you activate it. I assume this is so you can't buy a $500 phone that is broken and get it fixed. It doesn't say anywhere that you must purchase the phone through your carrier. It also doesn't say that if you change phones it must be removed.

I am not trying to start any kind of argument I just want to know the policy and whos policy it is. I always believed that the only phone Asurian would cover is the one bought with the policy from your carrier but now I am not so sure. Some have said it is tied to the phone number and not the phone.

BTW to the OP if I am not mistaken the deductible is $89 now unless you had purchased the service before they raised the rates and have not upgraded since (or something like that). Someone else can clarify it better because I am not real sure how it works.
    01-09-10 09:44 AM
    I have argued this with a friend of mine and now I am not sure what the answer is. A little back story. I told him the same thing lastraid is telling you but he has been able to use the insurance on several phones he bought from others. He told me to look at Asurians contract and I did.

Let me ask you a question lastraid so I can actually understand this. You would know because you deal with this stuff and I don't.

Is it a Verizon policy or an Asurian policy to remove the insurance? I looked on the Asurian agreement and the only requirements they have on what they will insure is that the phone must have airtime used after you activate it. I assume this is so you can't buy a $500 phone that is broken and get it fixed. It doesn't say anywhere that you must purchase the phone through your carrier. It also doesn't say that if you change phones it must be removed.

I am not trying to start any kind of argument I just want to know the policy and whos policy it is. I always believed that the only phone Asurian would cover is the one bought with the policy from your carrier but now I am not so sure. Some have said it is tied to the phone number and not the phone.

BTW to the OP if I am not mistaken the deductible is $89 now unless you had purchased the service before they raised the rates and have not upgraded since (or something like that). Someone else can clarify it better because I am not real sure how it works.
    The way I understand insurance is the way I stated it.

I am 100% sure that VZW will not honor any warr claim on a device that was not bought from them. This includes devices that are purchased from VZW and then sold to another VZW customer and placed on another account. Physical or liquid damage is not covered either. I have seen VZW replace a device that has a cracked screen and will charge the insurance deductable, as long as there is no other damage.

I would like to be able this with additional info, but I do certain resources available to me at this time.
    01-09-10 09:56 AM
    I think I see but if a user were to submit a claim through Asurian and NOT through Verizon it may be valid? I know Verizon won't honor the warranty on a used device (which they shouldn't in my opinion) I was just a little confused on the Asurian bit. I think the best bet for the OP would be to call Asurian and ask them if the device bought from someone else would be covered and if it is submit a claim through them. Although it still borders on fraud in my opinion because the device was messed up when he bought it. If you bought a car like this with car insurance you could not file a claim on it. I don't know.

Thanks for the info though.
    01-09-10 10:08 AM
    I think I see but if a user were to submit a claim through Asurian and NOT through Verizon it may be valid? I know Verizon won't honor the warranty on a used device (which they shouldn't in my opinion) I was just a little confused on the Asurian bit. I think the best bet for the OP would be to call Asurian and ask them if the device bought from someone else would be covered and if it is submit a claim through them. Although it still borders on fraud in my opinion because the device was messed up when he bought it. If you bought a car like this with car insurance you could not file a claim on it. I don't know.

Thanks for the info though.
    I agree totally with what you have said above. I believe the bottom line here is, should the insurance be removed when activating a device the was purchased 3rd party? Once we get the answer to this, it will resolve the OP's question.

In todays method of business this would not happen and a claim could be made.
    01-09-10 10:37 AM
    I agree that per policy that warrenty and insurance apply only if the phn is bought at a store or online, but if its gifted or 3rd party purchased that they dont apply...
    HOWEVER....
    I activated a line for my daughter last april. I got a blackberry at 2yr pricing, I put the blackberry then on MY line ( diff acct ) and put my EnV2 on her new line.
    Insurance stayed on.
    Gave the EnV2 to my sister when we went back home to visit and she put her LGvx8300 on my daughters line.
    in July my daughter lost this phone while outside in the neighborhood.
    I called Asurian and they replaced the LGvx8300 with same make/model.
    I'm not disagreeing with policy... but that was just MY experiance. Insurance is also still on my line for 4.99 but that was prior to the hike in the insurance prices. I know it will go up when I upgrade.
    01-10-10 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD