hey guys i have a question for any of the verizon or insurance people out there. i have the 6 bux a month insurance coverage on my BB curve 8330 and i was wondering if i claim i lost my BB pay the 50$ deductible and have them send me the new phone can i keep the old one as a backup incase the new one breaks? i need this device desperately and cant afford to be without it i.e. the time it would take to recieve new model. i do not want to try and rip anyone off and am not going to be selling the phone i am not trying to out anyone i would just really like to have the backup handy since id would have to order the replacement through insurance. so my question is will they brick the old phone or would i be able to reactivate if anything happened to the new one?

*i do not want to activate it on another line i only want to use it on my line!! in case my phone breaks so i would not have to wait for backup*

thank you for the help guys
    03-03-09 09:47 PM
    If you like insurance fraud and the jail time thay might go with it...sure go for it. Keep in mind as well, you report it stolen the ESN for your device gets placed on the lost or stolen list and cannot be activated again. Sure go for it.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-03-09 at 10:04 PM.
    03-03-09 10:02 PM
    You can keep it if you would like but honestly all it would be good for is an extra battery because like ^ said.. that esn goes on a lost/stolen list so you couldn't ever activate it again.
    03-03-09 10:09 PM
    wow like i said i didnt want to give it to anyone or sell it. if i break my phone i pay the deductible and get a new one. im not ripping anyone off my question was just if they bricked it so i would have a replacement that i would pay for. not trying to sell it. thats all just didnt wanna be without a phone till the new one came. a simple no they will brick it would have been fine. not trying to commit fraud just cant afford to be without a phone.
    ok thanks i figured this be the case just want to make sure ima have to find a cheap one off of ebay then.
    wow like i said i didnt want to give it to anyone or sell it. if i break my phone i pay the deductible and get a new one. im not ripping anyone off my question was just if they bricked it so i would have a replacement that i would pay for. not trying to sell it. thats all just didnt wanna be without a phone till the new one came. a simple no they will brick it would have been fine. not trying to commit fraud just cant afford to be without a phone.
    As lastraid pointed out, sure, keep the old phone. If you even accidentally tried to activate it, hold out your arms & wait for the matching bracelets. If you sold it, the buyer would probably turn you in instead of taking the rap themselves.

No matter how you try to rationalize it, it is insurance fraud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 11:10 PM
    As lastraid pointed out, sure, keep the old phone. If you even accidentally tried to activate it, hold out your arms & wait for the matching bracelets. If you sold it, the buyer would probably turn you in instead of taking the rap themselves.

No matter how you try to rationalize it, it is insurance fraud.

Sounds like it is that's for sure...
    03-03-09 11:36 PM
    i wouldnt try to sell it. my point was he didnt have to be rude as im not trying to rip anyone off that is why i posted here to ask. i just didnt understand the rudeness over a question i do not know about. i know if i tried to sell it that would be bad but it would be purely for a backup for myself. i appreciate the help and now i know to just order a cheap backup off ebay to hold me over till id be able to get a new one. just didnt understand the rudeness when i wasnt trying to rip anyone off
    03-03-09 11:47 PM
    You'd be ripping off the insurance company since you're filing a false claim.

03-04-09 12:29 AM
    i would try to sell it on cl.
    03-04-09 12:30 AM
    well my reasoning is if i lose the phone for real or it breaks i pay them 50 bux the send me replacement and i am out a fone till it gets here. all id be doing is sitting it in a drawer so its nto like i would be getting a bonus just saving time on the shipping. but i understand it better now thanks to everybody here. it was purely just a curious question and it wont work cuz the phone will be bricked. and thats fine i personally dont care i was just wondering so i know. and now i know ima start shopping on ebay for a cheapo backup that will sit in the draw in case my curve breaks and to last me til my insurance replacement would get there. thnx for the info guys!
    03-04-09 12:36 AM
    I just had my curve replaced due to it being run over. I filed my claim on-line on a Saturday evening and had my new phone on Tuesday morning. Probably would have been quicker had it not been a Saturday evening order. Ordering a new phone from ebay sounds like a waste of $$ to me, a day and half with no phone might be good, try it

03-04-09 10:04 AM
    well my reasoning is if i lose the phone for real or it breaks i pay them 50 bux the send me replacement and i am out a fone till it gets here. all id be doing is sitting it in a drawer so its nto like i would be getting a bonus just saving time on the shipping. but i understand it better now thanks to everybody here. it was purely just a curious question and it wont work cuz the phone will be bricked. and thats fine i personally dont care i was just wondering so i know. and now i know ima start shopping on ebay for a cheapo backup that will sit in the draw in case my curve breaks and to last me til my insurance replacement would get there. thnx for the info guys!
    You might want to look in to get an 8700 (I think for VZW it's the 8703e) series as backup. It'll be fairly in expensive, AND it's a very solid BB, one of RIM's best IMHO. (ME HUMBLE????? ) Make sure you get one with a clean ESN, get it from the seller ahead of time and check it with VZW.
    03-04-09 11:54 AM
    i wish i could go that long but i am not able to due to work i am often away from my laptop or any wifi areas so my BB is very crucial to me. thanks for the tip pkcable i will look into that yea it doesnt have to be another curve just something i would be able to recieve emails on until the new device gets here. i might be able to get away with nto spending money because my father has a 8830 we that he is considering upgrading from to a curve so ill be able to use that as a backup. but ill look into the 8700 models.
    03-04-09 12:16 PM
    Buy a backup phone on ebay. Insurance fraud is a bad idea.
    03-04-09 12:17 PM
    "If I claim I lost my BB."
    That's lying, and as others have said, insurance fraud.
    Not a good idea.

03-04-09 12:54 PM
    wow somebodys a lil late to the party. ever consider reading the posts before yours where the issue was resolved?
    03-04-09 12:57 PM
    Not "ripping anyone off"? How the **** do you figure that? Filing a false claim and forcing the insurance company to spend money to replace a phone that didn't need replaced and in turn you get an extra phone that you didn't pay for or deserve is exactly that...STEALING or "ripping someone off".
    03-05-09 09:39 AM
    wow somebodys a lil late to the party. ever consider reading the posts before yours where the issue was resolved?
    When you post a thread, anyone is able to post their two-cents worth forever more, unless the thread gets closed. Since you don't have the permissions needed to close even your own thread, a mod would have to close it.

No one is ever late to the party if it is still going on - we're only talking a couple hours here anyway - and it is an issue that will ignite many to shoot you down. Your subsequent comments added fuel to the fire. Fraud is fraud. Your insurance is explicit in replacement for loss, damage or theft - it doesn't say anything about anyone making them process a claim for your convenience.

Anyone who is passionate about honesty & integrity may voice their opinions here, come August or 2011. None of the comments will be out of line with the spirit of a message/discussion board. If you didn't want this, you shouldn't have posted.

03-05-09 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD