07-02-08 03:33 PM
35 12
tools
    I don't mean to use this forum solely as a place to ask a million questions, but I am new to all of this and really do appreciate the advice and help.

I have asked this question in my first thread, but decided it deserved its own thread. So, any and all advice and comments are welcomed.

My curve will arrive sometime thursday afternoon and when I go to activated it, I'm not sure if I will still decline the insurance or if I should accept the insurance. A few people I have spoke to said that I should really look into it and have also heard that I shouldn't worry about it.

I have never had a history of breaking or losing cell phones. I, like most people I'm sure, have dropped my phone on occasion which is really the only thing I worry about it. Dropping the device and it becoming damaged from the accident. I just can't seem to justify an additional 120 dollars over the course of 2 years for the insurance. So, I look to the professionals..or professional BB users and abusers in this case for help.

I'm also considering upgrading my texting plan, but can't seem to justify getting the texting and not the insurance or getting both instead of one or the other.
    06-24-08 11:23 PM
    I insure all my phones. It really is a personal choice.
    06-24-08 11:36 PM
    I insure mine. For a just in case but yeah it really is a personal decision.
    06-24-08 11:52 PM
    I will assume the insurance you can get includes all that is included with the insurance I have. Theft, lost, accidental and on purpose damage, defects after warranty, just about everything that requires getting a new phone is covered. In the past I have had things that fit most of these situations happen with phones and I didn't have insurance.

The way I figure it is the cost of the insurance prior to elegiability for an upgrade discount is less than the cost of replacing the phone in the event something happens. Sure its possible that when 2 years have passed you didn't need to use the insurance but is it worth the gamble to not have it and have something unforseen happen? That is something to concider.

I know on my mp3 players I purchased the extended warranties. Normally I'm one to not buy them or advise buying them. But all of my mp3 players have gone bad within the extended warrantee period and got replaced to newer better mp3 players as a result. I had thought at the time of purchase "I'm probably throwing money away" but I was glad I had gotten it when they broke.
    06-25-08 01:56 AM
    get it! Insurance is an awesome idea! its only 5 bucks a month or some crap... but then u can rest easy at night, knowing if you get pissed one day and throw your phone, you can get a new one for only 50 bucks!!! accidents happen all the time!
    06-25-08 02:58 AM
    If I were you, I'd get the insurance plan and get the $10 (500msgs + unlimited IN) or $15 (1500msgs + unlimited IN) text messaging plan, depending on your use. Remember, if you break ANY phone with no insurance, not just BBs, you have to pay full retail, which for the Curve is like $450 I believe.
    06-25-08 08:21 AM
    This is a personal choice, and each side has pros and cons

I choose to not insure my device:
    1) The monthly payments add up
    2) There is a deductible (and a lot of people forget about this, or forget to ask how much it is)

For TMobile, the deductible alone is something like $120. (I honestly forget the monthly charge... somewhere between $5 and $10).

Suppose the monthly charge is only $5 and 3 months after you purchase your Berry... you break it. This would cost $135! I paid $150 for my Curve with contract extension... so this price is not too bad... but I would rather just take my chances and take care of my phone.

I know accidents can happen... and that is why there is insurance on everything these days, but I personally choose to not get it.

As a side note, I am not sure... but I think RIM offers some sort of warranty for a certain period of time. This covers device failure and the likes. Someone clarify or correct me if I am wrong
    06-25-08 08:31 AM
    All manufacturers have some kind of warranty protecting against defects. Typically this can be anywhere from 90 days to a year or more depending on the manufacturer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 08:49 AM
    When I signed up with AT&T and asked for insurance for my Curve they said they do not offer it for my phone. I was bummed. Now I have to really try and take care of it. I've already dropped it several times and have a couple of scratches. We'll see how long it lasts.
    06-25-08 09:12 AM
    I've insured every phone I've ever had with VZW. If six bucks a month will break you, you have bigger problems. I have a four year old who has given three BB devices swimming lessions in the toilet over the past few years. Each time, I took the phone to my local store, and the service techs just replaced it there at the store without making me go through the insurance. I've also had the highest plans for 5+ years now which I'm sure helps.

Your choice is simple: $6 x 24 months + $50 = $194.00

OR

New BB 8330/8830 full retail = $429.99/$519.99

Yes, it's a gamble. But if you need it once, it pays for itself!
    06-25-08 09:14 AM
    I've never insured any phone I've had (including my Curve). I take incredibly good care of my phones. I know there are some extenuating circumstances that are most likely out my control. However, I think back to any time I've made a claim for any type of insurance, it's NEVER gone well and has always been frustrating. Which I'm pretty sure is the opposite of what "insurance" is supposed to do for someone.

I gave up on any insurance after seeing how companies treated the victims of Katrina. It's a racket intended for THEM to make money and not really to help the insured at all.

With that being said, I'm certain there have been people who have had very good experiences with insurance for phones/devices. My only weight here is: I've had a very good experience NOT insuring my phones. Someday that may change!
    06-25-08 09:20 AM
    I've never insured any phone I've had (including my Curve). I take incredibly good care of my phones. I know there are some extenuating circumstances that are most likely out my control. However, I think back to any time I've made a claim for any type of insurance, it's NEVER gone well and has always been frustrating. Which I'm pretty sure is the opposite of what "insurance" is supposed to do for someone.

I gave up on any insurance after seeing how companies treated the victims of Katrina. It's a racket intended for THEM to make money and not really to help the insured at all.

With that being said, I'm certain there have been people who have had very good experiences with insurance for phones/devices. My only weight here is: I've had a very good experience NOT insuring my phones. Someday that may change!
    I agree!! Someday my views on cell insurance may change. But, being unmarried with no kids makes is easier to not insure my Berry
    06-25-08 09:24 AM
    mcclure, I like you more and more with every post! Unmarried and no kids --knucletap--
    06-25-08 09:27 AM
    I had insurance on my old verizon blackberry. I went to ATT and would insure mine now but ATTs insurance has a 125 dollar deductable for data devices. I can just get a new phone for around 300 or less through my employer.
    06-25-08 09:30 AM
    BTW: When you get a replacement phone after paying the deductible through Verizon they give you a refurb, NOT a brand new phone.
    06-25-08 09:32 AM
    Here is another thread on insurance you can read as well
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/insurance-45483/
    06-25-08 09:50 AM
    I agree with surgical rep. Full price is a lot to come up with. My TMobile insurance deductible is lower than the above post - $50, and it covers everything for $5 a month. I like that peace of mind. The biggest consideration for me is that the machine has moving parts like the trackball - and I have a puppy, lol.

06-25-08 09:53 AM
    I never had insurance on my phone until I got my Curve. Even if it is $6/month and a $50 deductible it is better than shelling out $500 if anything happens to it. If you are prone to breaking phones like you say (like I am, my Razr went swimming in my school tote when my water bottle cap wasn't tight for example) it would most likely definitely be worth it. As for the texting, I really think unlimited is the best b/c if you go over your limit they can really really add up. (When I upgraded to my Curve Verizon didn't add the unlimited like they were supposed to and we got a $900 bill)
    06-25-08 10:58 AM
    I have the insurance on my Curve and my wifes phone. Its about $10 a month, it gives me a little peace of mind and I used to paying it so i dont notice it.
    06-26-08 12:58 AM
    you can save the 5 bucks a month in a cup on your dresser in change. for that much your covered. cell phones(esp blackberrys) are daily/hourly things we need. just like a house, and a car. you insure a house right? and a car? so insure your phone. chris rock calls insurance, "in case ****" so incase you drop your phone in the crapper. you better have insurance so you can get a new one overnited to you. or you can just pay the 400 for a new one. id rather justify 50 and 200 over the course of a few years. than digging out 400 beans for a new phone.

at least we are allowed to insure blackberrys. att for-bids insurance on the i-phone.
    06-26-08 01:44 AM
    I had insurance until I got three phones wet over an eight month period. Then they dropped me and said "no more for you!"

06-26-08 05:48 PM
    I get insurance for the first 6-9 months then I usually get rid of it.
    06-26-08 06:00 PM
    I had insurance until I got three phones wet over an eight month period. Then they dropped me and said "no more for you!"

Exactly, they wouldn't do it if they weren't making money on it.

Now, with that being said. Maybe you want to be a little more responsible with your high priced equipment
    06-26-08 07:08 PM
    If you sign a 2yr contract with Verizon and have a high usage plan like I'm sure most of us do, after 12 months they will give you a new phone of your choice for the subsidized price if you re-sign for another 24 months. Your NE2 credit won't apply and gets reset, but at least you don't pay full retail.

So what I do is get the insurance for the first year then drop it.

BTW, the new contract I signed in May states that Asurion will only allow one claim per year.
    06-27-08 03:21 AM
    I don't do the provider insurance. If you are a home owner, you can put it under the personal property section. I think it is like 10-20 bucks a year and has NO deductible. I haven't filed a claim on a phone, but did on a laptop. GOt a brnad new on at no cost to me other than the payments that come out of my mortgage.

Hope that helps
    06-27-08 10:40 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD