I just bought the Bold 9650 at Verizon and I was wondering if it's worth buying the insurance? This is my first smart phone and I've never had problems with my previous cellphones. But I feel like because this is a smart phone, I should buy the insurance. Advices?
    06-21-10 12:44 AM
    Buy a good case. Otter box or body glove. Don't lose your phone and skip insurance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-10 01:08 AM
    I didn't buy insurance on past phones but did on my blackberry and my hubby's droid and my daughters hand me down phone. First, my daughter is 12 and her phone has a high chance of being dropped or smacked in her backpack, it is also a hand me down and out of warrenty so if something should happen, it would be covered. We have always insured her phones for this reason.
    On my hubby's droid and my bb we got the insurance because they are only covered for a year and just the nature of the phones mean that we are using them more and keeping them longer than the old cheaper phones. On our old phones we would make calls and text, then they would go in a pocket or a purse, but with our smart phones we do all that plus go on the web, listen to music take pictures and show pictures to others. They get handled way more and are more likely to be out of our pockets or purse. Chances are higher they will be dropped or get water in them etc. We don't have alot of disposable income, but our phones are our only phones since we got rid of our terrible landline. (they haven't upgraded those lines where we live in over 20 years). Yes it is an added expense, but not nearly as costly as it would be to replace our phones if they got damaged and it wasn't covered by the mfg warrenty. I also use my bb as a modem for my laptop and rely on it for school and internet so to be without would be harsh. In our case it has also gotten us no questions asked replacements or upgrades because we have this insurance. There are wonderful cases out there that can handle many issues, but sometimes they fail. I would find out how much the insurance for your phone would be and figure out how hard you are typically on phones and decide. You can also start with insurance and as you get closer to your next upgrade date, you can drop it. This is just my opinion but I have many electronic devices and the cell phones are pretty much the only thing I have insurance on.
    06-21-10 02:19 AM
    buy it, u will like urself better when ur not forced to pay full retal price when u drop ur phone in the toilet and or wash it accidently and it comes on and makes calls but does not have any audio lol. the deductible and the monthly charge is cheaper than buying a new phone that vzw will most likely make u pay full retal for.
    06-21-10 02:35 AM
    I normally carry the insurance for the first 6 months only because by that time there is another latest and greatest model you want anyway, so the last thing you want is some POS refurb sent to you by the insurance company. However, since I have never (in 20 years) had to make an insurance or warranty claim on a cell phone, I decided to skip insurance on my Storm2. I'm almost 5 months in on it, so I would be canceling it soon anyway. Way I see it is at 6 months I'm about $100 into a new phone anyway with the money I haven't paid for the insurance. At one year I have saved enough for a yearly upgrade price pretty much.

All that said, it really depends a LOT on you. I am VERY protective of my phones. I don't leave them sitting around to be taken, I don't take them out in places where I think they could get harmed, and I generally keep them in protective cases, so if I do happen to drop them they aren't hurt. Some people though are very careless with their phones or their job/lifestyle puts their phone at higher risk. Ultimately you need to decide if you feel it's necessary and whether you want to send money tot he insurance company or save that money to put toward a new phone when/if you need one.
    06-21-10 03:13 AM
    I have it on my 8530 right now, and it was on my 8330. Knock on wood I haven't had to use it, but an $89 deductible with the $6 a month is still cheaper then full retail for your berry. But also like people have said it is entirely up to you and how comfortable you are.

06-21-10 09:31 AM
    Way I see it is at 6 months I'm about $100 into a new phone anyway with the money I haven't paid for the insurance. At one year I have saved enough for a yearly upgrade price pretty much.
    Um...What kind of insurance do you get? The most expensive is only 7.99 a month. I know im no mathematician but 7.99(on the high end) multiplied by 6 isnt anywhere near 100 dollars.
    06-21-10 10:09 AM
    I did not buy it, but im uber careful with my phone. If you have been known to drop your phone then yes it may be something you want to consider since buying one at retail price to replace it is alot.
    06-21-10 10:25 AM
    Um...What kind of insurance do you get? The most expensive is only 7.99 a month. I know im no mathematician but 7.99(on the high end) multiplied by 6 isnt anywhere near 100 dollars.
    You're forgetting the deductible, which is almost $100 itself now I think. So it is actually over $100. By a year you'd ha e enough saved to just buy a used replacement. It was a better deal when the deductible was $50. I also think I would be more supportive if the insurance if they weren't replacing phones with pure junk.

06-21-10 03:45 PM
    I bought it. For some stupid reason I put a small stubby philips head screwdriver in the same pocket that my phone was in. I bent down to pick up a screw I dropped and I heard a crack. Point of the screwdriver dug into the corner of the screen and cracked it. Filed a claim around noon on Saturday and I got my replacement unit by noon today.
    06-21-10 04:00 PM
    RIM has a 1-yr manufactuer warranty so I carry no insurance. If my Blackberry goes swimming or gets crushed in a combine, buying one on ebay will be my stupid tax. No reason ever to pay full retail when there's ebay.
    06-21-10 05:09 PM
    You're forgetting the deductible, which is almost $100 itself now I think. So it is actually over $100. By a year you'd ha e enough saved to just buy a used replacement. It was a better deal when the deductible was $50. I also think I would be more supportive if the insurance if they weren't replacing phones with pure junk.

You must have never used the insurance, or you would see things in a different light. Asurion is great. They expedite your equipment, its CPO devices, and they have new in stock too, which I have gotten plenty of. Your not buying someone elses used device on ebay, your getting high quality refurbs from them. Also they work to make things right, and back the device for a year free of charge, pretty good IMO.
    06-21-10 05:21 PM
    I never purchased insurance in the past. I never needed it because I always take good care of my phones. I decided to get insurance this time, because if I lost my 9650 or it became damaged, I wouldn't want to go without one. With my previous 8330 I did my own minor repairs like change the trackball, and replaced a broken battery door. The 9650 uses the new Trackpad, so I have the slightest clue on how to fix it if it stopped working. So I signed up for insurance this time around.

06-22-10 02:34 AM
    I have been purchasing the insurance ever since I upgraded to a smartphone. Back when I still had the "dumb" phones, it wasn't a big deal, because they can usually be picked up fairly cheap on eBay, or just get out one of my old phones and ride it out until update time. Insurance wasn't really a big deal to me then, and I honestly never needed it on any of those phones.

But with the smartphones, full retail pricing is outrageous...I feel like even if there is still a deductible for an insurance claim, it's well worth it to me...the deductible is still wayyy less than full retail pricing. I am extremely careful with my phone, but accidents can happen regardless. I'd much rather take the precaution and pay for insurance. I'd rather have it and not use it than not have insurance and end up needing it. I kind of feel like if I can afford a smartphone, paying a few bucks more for insurance shouldn't be an issue, and if it is I shouldn't have a smartphone. But that's just my line of thinking.
    06-22-10 11:10 AM
    I did not buy it, but im uber careful with my phone. If you have been known to drop your phone then yes it may be something you want to consider since buying one at retail price to replace it is alot.
    Control yourself all you like, but you can't control what other people or animals will do. If you have little kids that like to explore, or dogs that like to chew, or friends who just can't keep their damn hands to themself then insurance is a no brainer. Sooner or later, no matter how careful you are, you're going to turn your back on your little precious for just a second and it'll be too late.
    06-22-10 01:25 PM
    Control yourself all you like, but you can't control what other people or animals will do. If you have little kids that like to explore, or dogs that like to chew, or friends who just can't keep their damn hands to themself then insurance is a no brainer. Sooner or later, no matter how careful you are, you're going to turn your back on your little precious for just a second and it'll be too late.
    You're right about the little ones. My little one grabbed mine off the nightstand while it was charging.

06-22-10 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD