04-16-09 01:58 PM
28 12
tools
    If you use the RIM instant messengers it comes out of data. Also, if you use any of the common 3rd party apps it should come out of data.

I don't get why there is all this talk of Blackberry IM apps that use texts. Isn't that for Verizon's dumb phones?
    These are for dumbphones, but there are also legacy apps designed for the older smartphones without data plans.

It would be bad to have an IM app hitting you for data if you didn't have a package for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 01:20 PM
    simple concete answer...

All RIM apps = data
    SMS/MMS = Text
    Verizon's own Mobile IM app (all 3 in 1 app) = Text

thats it...
    Okay, I also thanked TwinxX2Dad for his answer that basically said this as well, however.....

I went to Blackberry App World and selected AOL Instant Messenger. In the description on the Download page, it specifically says "Features Include: Near real-time text based conversations."

So doesn't that actually mean that it DOES NOT use the data plan??
    04-16-09 01:24 PM
    Okay, I also thanked TwinxX2Dad for his answer that basically said this as well, however.....

I went to Blackberry App World and selected AOL Instant Messenger. In the description on the Download page, it specifically says "Features Include: Near real-time text based conversations."

So doesn't that actually mean that it DOES NOT use the data plan??
    No, that is just a description of its function - text as opposed to voice conversations. It is a data based app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 01:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD