04-16-09 01:58 PM
28 12
tools
    Hi everyone I'm new here (and to the whole blackberry world) I just got my phone a couple hours ago.

The main reason I got my phone was that I travel a lot for work now and want to use mobile instant messaging while on the train. I have the unlimited BIS data plan ($29.99) and I made sure to ask the sales rep who was selling me the phone whether IM's sent on clients like yahoo were covered under the data plan or if they were counted against my text messages. At first he told me they were text and was about to upgrade me to unlimited texting. Then he went and 'asked someone in the back' from services, came back and told me they were covered under data so I didn't get the upgrade.

-Though later I was looking around on Verizon's site and found a page that says they're counted as texts.

I cant posts links but here's the url:
    htt p://support.vzw.com/faqs/Get%20It%20Now/faq_mobileim.html

I only have the 500 texts per month plan and I send a lot of IM's so I don't want to get pounded with a giant bill for going over my text limit. So if anyone knows please help. Does the unlimited BIS plan cover mobile IM on yahoo messenger? or will I need to upgrade to unlimited texting?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    04-14-09 12:52 AM
    No, it does not. Each comes out of your text allotment. I would upgrade to the unlimited text plan.
    04-14-09 01:00 AM
    I use the Yahoo and AIM apps on the storm and never got texts deducted from my texting plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 01:30 AM
    If you use the RIM instant messengers it comes out of data. Also, if you use any of the common 3rd party apps it should come out of data.

I don't get why there is all this talk of Blackberry IM apps that use texts. Isn't that for Verizon's dumb phones?
    04-14-09 06:59 AM
    I'm with alltel and as far as I know my yahoo messenger uses my data. Fortunately my plan includes unlimited data, text, pics, etc. So its of no real concern.

04-14-09 07:14 AM
    IM's are DATA, SMS & MMS are Text.

#MIN will give you air time usage on your phone.

#TXT will give you Text Usage info (I believe that is the correct number).
    04-14-09 07:23 AM

-Though later I was looking around on Verizon's site and found a page that says they're counted as texts.

I cant posts links but here's the url:
    htt p://support.vzw.com/faqs/Get%20It%20Now/faq_mobileim.html

I believe the above link is for Non-Blackberry phones or phones without data plans. I use Blackberry messenger all the time and they do not count as texts.
    04-14-09 07:35 AM
    Don't use the IM application off of VZW's homepage on your BB. (Start up your browser and then click mobile IM). This will use text.

Instead go to Mobile.blackberry.com and find the IM programs on that site. Those will use data and not IM.

04-14-09 08:29 AM
    If you use the mobile instant messaging program provided by Verizon Wireless, then it counts against your text messaging allowance.

If you use the Yahoo Messenger app ( or AOL or MSN Messenger etc) made for a Blackberry, then it uses data.
    04-14-09 08:31 AM
    download the ones in the instant messaging folder, those are RIM and data. that stupid VZW mobile IM is texts.
    04-14-09 12:29 PM
    SMS & MMS = Deducted from text messaging bundles (excluding international text messages sent and received)

YM, AIM, BBM & the such = Blackberry Data

**Just spoke to a VZW customer service rep 5 minutes ago**
    04-14-09 12:52 PM
    Ok...The OP has had his question answered. Can we close the post?
    Well let's see here - don't see Jon yet coming back with any further questions. Then again, it has only been one day and you're as good as any at keeping threads alive - but generally with something less inane & anally retentive than that statement.

Maybe you need to beg for a moderator position? Nah - the mods don't whine or piss & moan. They also don't look for three words as their base to attempt discrediting an entire essay.

Can we keep this open to see if Jon or anyone else has additional questions or will the leftists throw more fits?

04-14-09 06:18 PM
    Well let's see here - don't see Jon yet coming back with any further questions. Then again, it has only been one day and you're as good as any at keeping threads alive - but generally with something less inane & anally retentive than that statement.

Maybe you need to beg for a moderator position? Nah - the mods don't whine or piss & moan. They also don't look for three words as their base to attempt discrediting an entire essay.

Can we keep this open to see if Jon or anyone else has additional questions or will the leftists throw more fits?

Always starting fights. TSK TSK TSK
    04-14-09 06:35 PM
    Always starting fights. TSK TSK TSK
    You know I live to do it, too!

IM on dumbphones is always billed as text messages.

IM on most smartphones is billed as data.

Some IM variants will bill as text on a smartphone.

BBMessenger is always data.

As mentioned before, get your IM app from the native site or BlackBerry. Get it from the carrier and it might be billed as text, only because of the protocol.

04-14-09 06:42 PM
    Ok thanks everyone. Yeah I've been using the Yahoo Messenger - Research in Motion 2.2.31, that I downloaded from the App Center.

Based on what you've said I should be good using that. I'll keep an eye on how many texts I've been sending using #DATA, and compare that to my IM usage just so I know everything's good and I'm not racking up text messages.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by JonBradbury; 04-14-09 at 06:56 PM.
    04-14-09 06:53 PM

I admire TwinsX2Dad's post cause they may hurt but if you think really hard and stop being immature, it actually makes sense...
    04-14-09 07:04 PM
    I admire TwinsX2Dad's post cause they may hurt but if you think really hard and stop being immature, it actually makes sense...
    I agree with that. Who in the **** is beaver to call for closing this before the original poster responded with an indication of understanding? The way people react to Dad's and some other posters tell me exactly how much I should pay attention to that responder. It also tells me the maturity of that poster. I come to sites like this not to whine or to have my **** scratched but to learn. All too many people on these sites know nothing about reality and they show no maturity.

A few of the instant messaging programs run through text not because anyone is trying to rip anyone off. They do so for those people with smartphones without data plans. I would hate to run up data rates if I didn't have a data plan. So there is a reason they exist and they do exist.

04-14-09 07:57 PM
    Ok...I admit...I may have jumped the gun, but when people start posting the same info, I start getting perturbed.

Y'all are so quick to criticize me, but I guarantee you all would have, or have done something similar in another forum, or have felt the same way. I just have the guts to express it. And don't say you don't feel that way. I know you have the same feelings.
    04-14-09 08:09 PM
    Man. I was going to let this ride but then I noticed I had a private message. I go to look and it is from the beaver above. He admits again that he jumped the gun and then goes into name calling about other posters.

If I were you I wouldn't trust him on anything. Anyone who tries to throw blame by ******** on others isn't cool at all

Last edited by Duvi; 04-14-09 at 08:43 PM. Reason: language edit
    04-14-09 08:28 PM
    Sorry we don't lock threads because the question was answered. That would be tedious.
    04-14-09 09:47 PM
    Sorry we don't lock threads because the question was answered. That would be tedious.
    Careful - niubeav doesn't come with a niuwally to pick on and he might have been talking about you. I know he had to have been talking about me.

Whatever he says is BS and I pay no mind to that.

04-14-09 10:01 PM
    If you download the actual applications for the messengers from RIM's website, than they count as data. if you sign into the websites and list as mobile, it's text;
    04-14-09 10:51 PM
    SMS & MMS = Deducted from text messaging bundles (excluding international text messages sent and received)

YM, AIM, BBM & the such = Blackberry Data

**Just spoke to a VZW customer service rep 5 minutes ago**
    Now see, This is exactly opposite to what I was told by a Verizon Tech in the store. I read on Crackberry here that AIM used texts, and I had to go in the store for something else, so I asked and was told TEXTS!!

Blackberry Messenger DEFINITELY uses the data provided under our Blackberry data plans. However, I have heard enough that I want to say I kinda think AIM is text. If I hear otherwise, then I might be tempted to try AIM again. (I don't have a text plan, by choice)

Anyone have any OTHER info on this? Seems like we're getting all kinds of different stories on this based on other posts in this thread!!!
    04-16-09 12:49 PM

As mentioned before, get your IM app from the native site or BlackBerry. Get it from the carrier and it might be billed as text, only because of the protocol.

Ahhhhh THAT could be the difference!! Also, could be the reason for all the confusion!!! Thanks for mentioning that!
    04-16-09 01:09 PM
    Now see, This is exactly opposite to what I was told by a Verizon Tech in the store. I read on Crackberry here that AIM used texts, and I had to go in the store for something else, so I asked and was told TEXTS!!

Blackberry Messenger DEFINITELY uses the data provided under our Blackberry data plans. However, I have heard enough that I want to say I kinda think AIM is text. If I hear otherwise, then I might be tempted to try AIM again. (I don't have a text plan, by choice)

Anyone have any OTHER info on this? Seems like we're getting all kinds of different stories on this based on other posts in this thread!!!
    simple concete answer...

All RIM apps = data
    SMS/MMS = Text
    Verizon's own Mobile IM app (all 3 in 1 app) = Text

thats it...
    04-16-09 01:10 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD