06-25-09 05:08 PM
33 12
tools
    Trying to figure something out. My wife has a dump phone and I a blackberry. we are looking for an instant messaging solution.
    if I install google talk, yahoo messanger the like on her phone and my blackberry is it cheaper to pay the data usage on her phone for than the text cost for text messaging?
    06-23-09 03:08 PM
    That depends on how much you're getting charged per message, how many text messages you have included already in your plan, and just how many messages you're likely to send back and forth. Personally I would guess that if you're bothing to ask the answer would be yes, but I can't tell you for sure, sorry.
    06-23-09 03:12 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'm thinking the same. We have 250 txt in plan then I think .20 per, haven't been over txt but for a couple of months, paying per usage on her phone and of course unlim. On my curve

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 03:26 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'm thinking the same. We have 250 txt in plan then I think .20 per, haven't been over txt but for a couple of months, paying per usage on her phone and of course unlim. On my curve

if you are trying to save a bit....have her text to ur email and you would respond to her number @vtext.com. Will use text on her end but not on urs hope that helps
    06-23-09 03:31 PM
    Yeah, if that's the case, I'd recommend going with the instant messaging and data, I know alot of folks swear by it for keeping in touch with their significant other.
    06-23-09 03:34 PM
    if you are trying to save a bit....have her text to ur email and you would respond to her number @vtext.com. Will use text on her end but not on urs hope that helps
    That's a great idea as long as the slight delay isn't a problem, I never would have thought of that! Nice to hear another line of thought on the issue, certainly something worth looking into
    06-23-09 03:38 PM
    its usually not to bad as long as the user emailing the text is on vzw...if you guys talk that much she would use more than 5 dollars worth of data in 2 days...remember the MB count will start when she connects to the net..so in other words if she hit the im on here phone it starts, sends info to log in, then to get message, then to send, and they round up to nearest mB
    06-23-09 03:47 PM
    dumbphone instant messenger clients user text messsages. I don't think they use data at all..

Blackberry smartphones use data for instant messengers..

so I don't think there is a choice.

so if you dont use text messaging just use your data plan with no text plan on your phone..

and get a text plan on her phone..
    so she can use instant messengers.

that would be the cheepest

but if you want text messaging then just get text messaging on both phones but your phone will always need a data plan.
    06-23-09 04:58 PM
    I'm clients use text messaging on dumb phones so she would be using texts anyways. So you guys might as well stick with the text messaging. Do you guys not have free IN texting?

06-23-09 06:30 PM
    I tried this out when I first set up my wife's and my blackberries. The downside is that both the outgoing and incoming text pull from the out of network texts on the dumbphone instead of mobile to mobile texts. If they text back in forth as much as my wife and I do then they would be better off adding the 10 dollar texting plan to each phone and it would be unlimited mobile to mobile texting. Alternately upgrading the wife to a BB and using BBM would be viable as well
    06-23-09 09:34 PM
    dumbphone instant messenger clients user text messsages. I don't think they use data at all..

Blackberry smartphones use data for instant messengers..

so I don't think there is a choice.

so if you dont use text messaging just use your data plan with no text plan on your phone..

and get a text plan on her phone..
    so she can use instant messengers.

that would be the cheepest

but if you want text messaging then just get text messaging on both phones but your phone will always need a data plan.
    I tried this out when I first set up my wife's and my blackberries. The downside is that both the outgoing and incoming text pull from the out of network texts on the dumbphone instead of mobile to mobile texts. If they text back in forth as much as my wife and I do then they would be better off adding the 10 dollar texting plan to each phone and it would be unlimited mobile to mobile texting. Alternately upgrading the wife to a BB and using BBM would be viable as well
    Dumb phone IM clients use data not texts.. I beileve there are a few threads on this already. So no...and the problem about out of network texts was to take the text plan off the BB so that they only needed texts on one phone. the dumb phone as the emails on the BB do not count as text.

Please I am not flaming but the person who posted IM on a dumb phone comes from text is 100% wrong. those are data charges..and with loggin on recieving and sending you will be using about 1mb everytime your wife has to log in. I really hope this helps
    06-24-09 06:28 AM
    Dumb phone IM clients use data not texts.. I beileve there are a few threads on this already. So no...and the problem about out of network texts was to take the text plan off the BB so that they only needed texts on one phone. the dumb phone as the emails on the BB do not count as text.

Please I am not flaming but the person who posted IM on a dumb phone comes from text is 100% wrong. those are data charges..and with loggin on recieving and sending you will be using about 1mb everytime your wife has to log in. I really hope this helps
    I understand that but if the wife doesnt have unlimited data on the dumbphone its billed at 1.99 per mb and everytime she recieved a text from @vtext.com it would count towards the 500 out of network texts. if she has the 15.00 vcast pack it includes data which would make sending emails free, you are looking at 25.00 per month and she would be capped at recieving 500 texts without paying for overages. if she doesnt need data at all then each of them getting 500 texts per month with unlimited mobile to mobile would only cost them 10.00 per phone and they would not have to worry about overages. PS Im not flaming either, just clarifying what I am trying to say
    06-24-09 07:30 AM
    IM clients for dumbphones send/receive through text. There is no way around that. If the device sends as text, you get charged for text. Smartphones are a different beast, as the platform is more open and IM clients exist that utilize data to send/receive, just like your home/office computer. .

06-24-09 09:55 AM
    How much is she worth to you? I would pay the extra moolah for unlim. Texting if it was me.

06-24-09 12:52 PM
    I understand that but if the wife doesnt have unlimited data on the dumbphone its billed at 1.99 per mb and everytime she recieved a text from @vtext.com it would count towards the 500 out of network texts. if she has the 15.00 vcast pack it includes data which would make sending emails free, you are looking at 25.00 per month and she would be capped at recieving 500 texts without paying for overages. if she doesnt need data at all then each of them getting 500 texts per month with unlimited mobile to mobile would only cost them 10.00 per phone and they would not have to worry about overages. PS Im not flaming either, just clarifying what I am trying to say
    no no no...if u txet vtext comes out of network but if u drop tect on bb then its cheaper...they r trying to lowerer the bill u r keeping it the way it is
    06-24-09 04:42 PM
    How much is she worth to you? I would pay the extra moolah for unlim. Texting if it was me.

I have yet to find a woman worth that much.

06-24-09 05:07 PM
    IM clients for dumbphones send/receive through text. There is no way around that. If the device sends as text, you get charged for text. Smartphones are a different beast, as the platform is more open and IM clients exist that utilize data to send/receive, just like your home/office computer. .

wow can you stop please... call vzw and ask its data...im clients mean nothing to text on any phone...on the dumbphones you have to log onto the mobile web to use them..so if you are done with the mis information
    06-24-09 05:16 PM
    The Mobile I M client that you use on the dumbphone uses text. Its one of the reasons I ditched my voyager in favor of a blackberry. When you first use it it will tell you that it uses texts and you are responsible for the charges and you have to hit the agree button.

Edit: Link I couldnt get to add earlier

Verizon Wireless: Mobile IM: Overview

Last edited by Chris2183; 06-24-09 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added link
    06-24-09 05:36 PM
    wow can you stop please... call vzw and ask its data...im clients mean nothing to text on any phone...on the dumbphones you have to log onto the mobile web to use them..so if you are done with the mis information
    I have only read two of your posts and can already tell you have no clue about anything you are talking about.

06-25-09 12:10 AM
    I have only read two of your posts and can already tell you have no clue about anything you are talking about.

It has to be an alt-personality of someone Dad handed lunch to. Of course with the nonsense he writes it wouldn't be difficult to put him in his place.

06-25-09 01:06 AM
    just get a family plan, and text each other for free?

Trying to figure something out. My wife has a dump phone and I a blackberry. we are looking for an instant messaging solution.
    if I install google talk, yahoo messanger the like on her phone and my blackberry is it cheaper to pay the data usage on her phone for than the text cost for text messaging?
    06-25-09 02:17 AM
    No, you need to stop with your ill-informed lunacy.

I do not have to call VZW - I am behind the scenes & can be found in VZW conferences several times per month.

I include a print of the VZW info provided above - I am able to back up what I say, while you just spout off.

Non-smartphone IM apps ALL run through text. Make sure you note that IMs are NOT part of the unlimited portion of your plan, as well.

Maybe you need to call VZW & get your misinformation set straight. Then go back to school & learn to read, write & comprehend English. Dropping out after failing second grade will assure you stay living in your parents' basement surfing the Internet in your underwear for a long time.
    06-25-09 02:32 AM
    The problem I keep seeing is you were talking about using the I'm client, which u have to log onto the mobile web. If you r talking about the I'm built into the phone that is much different and why would it have been suggested? But if that's what you are talking about with the I'm 'client' then yea sure you are right. Just remember to use the I'm client you have to be logged onto the mobile web. To use it built into the phone is kinda pointless to suggest to someone trying to reduce costs. I am guessing twin x...by the way you say yoy attend vow meetings you are an indirect agent. Most ppl that work for vzw and have any kind of senority...or r a little higher up don't tell ppl they work there. But hey to each his own.

06-25-09 06:32 AM

if that is the case then call up verizon and tell them to remove this off there website

Data Services: Mobile Instant Messaging

(read after the number 3)
    "Instant Messages are charged just like Text Messages so you can use your Text bundle or pay as you go. Instant Messages are not included as Mobile to Mobile messages in any Unlimited Mobile to Mobile messaging bundle."

and also tell them to refund the money I was charged for IM clients during my feature phone use...

I no longer get charged any text messages on my verizon account using the blackberry IM clients

RIGHT before the storm I was averaging about 200-300 texts a month trying to keep it low ONLY using the IM clients on the dumbphone..

so I think you should check your facts..

I also understand that your farely new signing up here and this may or may not mean that you have been around.. this discussion has went on for sometime now here on this website and many people are still ill informed on what it is and how it works..

like I said Read there policys right off the website and even from what twin posted and quit spreading it any differently as someone will read yours and think the same thing your thinking right now. On blackberrys they are not charged as text messages...

I am not sure about other smartphones but I would assume its the same.
    Last edited by noaim; 06-25-09 at 06:57 AM.
    06-25-09 06:47 AM
    The problem I keep seeing is you were talking about using the I'm client, which u have to log onto the mobile web. If you r talking about the I'm built into the phone that is much different and why would it have been suggested? But if that's what you are talking about with the I'm 'client' then yea sure you are right. Just remember to use the I'm client you have to be logged onto the mobile web. To use it built into the phone is kinda pointless to suggest to someone trying to reduce costs. I am guessing twin x...by the way you say yoy attend vow meetings you are an indirect agent. Most ppl that work for vzw and have any kind of senority...or r a little higher up don't tell ppl they work there. But hey to each his own.

sorry you guessed wrong.. hes much more involved then that I will leave it up to him whether he wants to tell you what he does but seriously..

read around a bit then start posting comon
    06-25-09 07:03 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD