New and emerging technologies, such as location based services, provide great opportunities to increase efficiencies, decrease costs and simplify processes. Implementation of these new technologies and services can vary based on many factors including the strategy, goals and policies that drive the business.

At Verizon Wireless we value the security and privacy of our subscriber data and user information and we have taken this into account in the development of our location based services offerings. To alleviate concerns regarding access to data by malicious applications and misuse of location information, Verizon Wireless' location based services utilize a solution that requires each location request to be authenticated and accepted prior to a user's location being obtained through the network and used by authorized applications. This solution requires the use of a custom security API by authorized applications in order to minimize the potential for "man in the middle" attacks and misuse of information by "bad actors".
    Verizon Wireless is aggressively working to expand our suite of location based services offerings in a way that does not compromise our dedication to privacy and security yet offers value and flexibility to our customers
    06-04-08 01:10 PM
    So they still control what has gps access through thier "authorized applications".
    06-04-08 01:56 PM
    It is interesting that I have to pay so that Big Brother can protect me. But what I paid for was a gps puck. Waiting for Verizon to cut that off since clearly I'm not old enough or knowledgeable enough to know when I'm not being adequately protected. In other words - what BS!
    06-04-08 03:20 PM
    Verizon has been claiming that for a while now. I find that argument very hard to swallow because they even lock out the BB maps program that comes from RIM preloaded on most phones! They just want to squeeze every nickel and dime out of their customers...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 08:03 PM
    It's all about the APRU!

06-05-08 12:53 AM
    sounds like to me they're just trying to give an explanation on why they charge for the GPS feature. I agree with F2, BS!
    06-05-08 12:03 PM
    It's kinda funny how a company can claim that its securit issues when another company of the same size can have it working on there phone for both the service they supply as well as other software if you so chose. I just doesnt make sense and probably never will. It just would be nice to use the curve to its full potential if you wanted to.
    06-05-08 12:25 PM
    Stupid, absolutely stupid. That's why I switched to Sprint even after two years of good service with Verizon.
    06-05-08 12:37 PM
    It's insane that this feature has to be crippled.

My husband is a Sprint user and recently got a WE8830 like mine, however, I constantly have to hear him rant and rave about how perfect and to the tee his GPS feature is on his 8830 and I'm sitting there looking stupid trying to provide an explanation as to why I don't have it on mine.

AY YI YI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-05-08 12:55 PM
    Has anyone begin thinking how the Alltel merger will effect this whole debacle? I believe, at least from reading their website, that Alltel DOES NOT cripple the GPS on their phones and allows free/open use to third-party location services applications.

Will Verizon come in and stomp on their parade or will they welcome it with open arms?? I'm VERY interested to learn how this will be handled.

Any thoughts??
    06-05-08 02:27 PM
    Any thoughts??
    I really hope they open up the GPS. That would be a really sh*tty move, even for a money grubbing company like VZW. Unfortunately, as soon as/if the takeover happens, VZW service books will probably be sent to all Alltel BBs, so bye bye GPS...
    06-05-08 03:40 PM
    Has anyone begin thinking how the Alltel merger will effect this whole debacle? I believe, at least from reading their website, that Alltel DOES NOT cripple the GPS on their phones and allows free/open use to third-party location services applications.

Will Verizon come in and stomp on their parade or will they welcome it with open arms?? I'm VERY interested to learn how this will be handled.

Any thoughts??

The deal won't even be done until late 2008 or early 2009. I wouldn't expect ANY changes to occur until mid 2009 at the earliest.
    06-06-08 09:57 AM
    There was an interesting story on the news the other night about Cell companies. They stated that new customers for cell phones are finally on the decline which means that the different mobile companies now have to start more aggressively looking for "switches". They feel that this could lead to dropping prices and/or more services for less. Hopefully this helps the matter as the companies have to start looking to steal customers from other companies...
    06-07-08 07:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD