Is there an app or setting that will indicate if a caller is a Verizon customer?

Thx
    09-05-08 02:36 PM
    Not that I am aware of
    09-05-08 02:44 PM
    Why. Just wondering

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 02:52 PM
    Why. Just wondering

That's a fair question.

I am new to Verizon and am monitoring minute usage. Wanted to know if incoming call that is unknown to me is going to cost me minutes or not. I'm not cheap, but my minute usage is going fast while I'm breaking this in
    09-05-08 02:59 PM
    With Local Number Portability it is virtually impossible to tell who the provider is based on the number alone.
    09-05-08 03:05 PM
    What you could do is check your bill online and it indicated if the person is a Verizon customer and then you can make a notation next to the contacts name. Just an idea.
    09-05-08 04:12 PM
    bottomline, there is no application for this.
    09-05-08 05:08 PM
    I didn't have my hopes high that there was such a thing. Makes sense.
    09-05-08 05:16 PM
    With Local Number Portability it is virtually impossible to tell who the provider is based on the number alone.
    LOL...but when you get your bill, Verizon sure knows whether or not it's an IN call...
    09-05-08 05:18 PM
    Is there an app or setting that will indicate if a caller is a Verizon customer?

Thx
    Not any real-time app. BUT, you can get youmail (I'm using it) and have it setup up so that it texts you, after the call the following info: Caller ID name and number, location, and carrier.
    09-06-08 09:56 AM
    It is funny, but I remember my first VZW phone indicating a VZW incoming call. That was several years ago though.

09-06-08 10:12 AM
    not true at all!

here's a link to check from a pc. not sure if it will work using the BB or OM browser.

Verizon Wireless - Are You IN?

it works with any wireless number, ported or not. i came from att and mine shows as vzw.

hopes this helps!

btw, are you Bob Vance from Vance Refrigeration?
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-06-08 at 10:58 AM.
    09-06-08 10:53 AM
    btw, are you Bob Vance from Vance Refrigeration?
    I am not that Bob. But I am an admirer.
    09-06-08 10:22 PM
    One thing to note is have your VZW friends with blocked numbers unblock them in your stored number. I had this problem with my friend, she was calling me with a blocked number and she was being charged regular minutes instead of being "IN". So she stored the code *82 before my number so when she calls me it unblocks. Same with your phone if you are calling with a blocked number, you should unblock yourself to your known VZ friends.

That unblock code could be different so if anyone knows for sure, please post.

Hope that helps!!
    09-07-08 03:08 PM
    That is great information that I was not aware of.

One thing to note is have your VZW friends with blocked numbers unblock them in your stored number. I had this problem with my friend, she was calling me with a blocked number and she was being charged regular minutes instead of being "IN". So she stored the code *82 before my number so when she calls me it unblocks. Same with your phone if you are calling with a blocked number, you should unblock yourself to your known VZ friends.

That unblock code could be different so if anyone knows for sure, please post.

Hope that helps!!
    09-07-08 03:15 PM
    I'm surprised that no one has brought this up yet, but there is an easy way to tell if anyone you send a text message to is on verizon.

Simply check your message outbox after you sms text someone. Within 20 seconds after sending there should be a D (for delivered) next to the message, indicating that the recepient's handset has received the message.

This is similar to read receipts for email, only without asking for user permission. There is no way to disable this AFAIK

09-07-08 05:02 PM
    The D you are refering to is called DAK. There is not way I know of to shut this off. Hang in there, as a lil birdy has infomred me that by the end of this month that is going away. The only time you should get a D is when the person is on the VZW network
    09-07-08 05:24 PM
    IIRC the first minute of incomIng calls is free. Therefore if you're worried about incoming calls, just end the conversation in the first 60 seconds.

09-08-08 09:02 AM
    IIRC the first minute of incomIng calls is free. Therefore if you're worried about incoming calls, just end the conversation in the first 60 seconds.

What???????????????????
    Last edited by dom9360; 09-09-08 at 11:45 AM.
    09-09-08 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD