Here's my question -- when setting up a personal email account on the BIS plan, can the user specify the IMAP port number, or is it locked in? (if it's locked in, does anyone know what port number it is?)

thanks!
    09-26-08 11:16 PM
    Most account do auto configure. THere should be option to for you input all the info manually if it does not.

Did the account auto configure? I have come across when an account finds pop but the person wanted IMAP which was availble though his company as well.

I had to get RIM involved and they had to force it over to the IMAP format from POP
    09-27-08 03:18 AM
    i havent tried to set it up yet, still waiting on the new Storm to come out before i get the BB. just trying to be prepared. my personal email that i want to use has imap, but it's specified only by the port number, it's not an imap.xxxxx.com, still mail.xxxxx.com. (specifying ports determines pop3 or imap)
    09-27-08 11:14 AM
    I just checked my BIS account. For set up you you jsut put in the email address and Password. If it finds so be it, if not it will set up manually. Now if it finds it go into edit for the account and then the advanced TAB. I do see in there boxes to change POP/IMAP and ports. Although on pop account they are grayed out.

This makes me think per my above statement that RIM may need to force it over. Who is your carrier?

I know at VZW we can set up accounts for customers manually via another resource we have. So this maybe an option for you.
    09-27-08 12:08 PM
    I just checked my BIS account. For set up you you jsut put in the email address and Password. If it finds so be it, if not it will set up manually. Now if it finds it go into edit for the account and then the advanced TAB. I do see in there boxes to change POP/IMAP and ports. Although on pop account they are grayed out.

This makes me think per my above statement that RIM may need to force it over. Who is your carrier?

I know at VZW we can set up accounts for customers manually via another resource we have. So this maybe an option for you.
    yeah, im on VZW. i could just go with pop access, but i'd rather have imap, i think, it's what im used to with my web based email access currently.

though i've been thinking about trying to setup a personal funambol sync server anywhoo.
    09-27-08 11:41 PM
    Best of luck with the choice you go with. I am using pop and have no issues with it.
    09-28-08 08:44 AM
    Best of luck with the choice you go with. I am using pop and have no issues with it.
    thanks. I may go POP, but i like having all of my messages still on the home PC after looking at them on phone/work pc, etc... but after getting the BB, i may change my mind
    09-28-08 12:45 PM
    Are you using outlook? If so, then go into your account settings, more option, advanced options tab and select leave copy of message on the server. this will allow you to do this.
    09-28-08 12:47 PM
    Are you using outlook? If so, then go into your account settings, more option, advanced options tab and select leave copy of message on the server. this will allow you to do this.
    yeah i could do that, but that gets to be a pain. we'll hope i can figure out the imap stuff, but if i cant change the ports on the bberry, i can get ahold of my mail host and see about configuring the ports the bberry is looking for. (he's a friend of mine, runs his own hosting service)
    09-28-08 06:54 PM
    enter a false email password when you are setting up the email. this will then fail your install for that email address. after it fails you can manually input email server info. if you know your IMAP server info you will be able to put it in.
    09-28-08 07:11 PM
    enter a false email password when you are setting up the email. this will then fail your install for that email address. after it fails you can manually input email server info. if you know your IMAP server info you will be able to put it in.
    yeah, i was aware of how to get to the menu, but wasnt sure if the IMAP port was customizable, or if it was permanent.

though perhaps using the imap.xxxxx.comortnumber entry would work
    09-28-08 11:28 PM
    This isn't needed for mobile devices (anymore). The configs on mobile devices are defaulted to only grab a copy of the message off the POP server. The only issue would be if you set your BB to delete from server as well on wireless reconcile. You can obviously turn that off so it doesn't take it off the POP server when you delete on the handheld, or simply have it prompt you which place you want to delete it when you delete a message... in case you get some SPAM you'd rather delete from the BB and POP server before you get it down to your Outlook client.
    09-29-08 09:18 AM
    So, for me, using IMAP isn't a matter of having the msgs left on the server, but receiving them instantly on my BB rather than at 15 min. intervals.

The problem is that my provider uses the same mail server (mail.domain.com) for both POP and IMAP, so the BB service automatically configures it for POP.

I see in the Advanced Settings tab of the Blackberry Internet Service screen where it shows POP and Port 110, but does not allow me to change it to port 143 for IMAP.

AT&T tech support said they don't know how to change those settings, and the RIM phone tree would not give me access.

Anyone else gone through this and know how to change that setting?

Thanks!
    01-07-10 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD