06-07-09 03:59 PM
56 123
tools
    Screw it...i'm not using any of them anymore...I dropped my text pack down...I'm just using BBM and email from now on...I can't get a straight answer for the life of me.
    06-02-09 09:29 PM
    Screw it...i'm not using any of them anymore...I dropped my text pack down...I'm just using BBM and email from now on...I can't get a straight answer for the life of me.

if you want I can show you a screenshot of my verizon account..

I truly do use them everyday....

and they do not count as text messages

this debate has been going on in this forum forever and I don't understand why it still exists..

The RIM developed instant messenger applications do not use TEXT messages they use DATA!

there you go look at the picture

that is truly the only proof you need..
    06-02-09 10:10 PM
    There is an IM client on VZW's BB homepage in the browser that does combined IM which charges TXT. It even tells you that. All RIM based IM clients are data. Something else is causing your counts to go up on TXT.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 10:48 PM
    if you want I can show you a screenshot of my verizon account..

I truly do use them everyday....

and they do not count as text messages

this debate has been going on in this forum forever and I don't understand why it still exists..

The RIM developed instant messenger applications do not use TEXT messages they use DATA!

there you go look at the picture

that is truly the only proof you need..
    I agree... WHY IS THIS STILL AN ISSUE?

I've been using these devices downloaded from blackberry for YEARS (since 05!)

I've NEVER, EVER been charges texts for this.

Some reps are giving you very, very bad info.
    06-02-09 10:53 PM
    I agree... WHY IS THIS STILL AN ISSUE?

I've been using these devices downloaded from blackberry for YEARS (since 05!)

I've NEVER, EVER been charges texts for this.

Some reps are giving you very, very bad info.
    I agree. People can't seem to get it. Frankly, I'm not sure its even TECHNOLOGICALLY POSSIBLE to "sniff out" IMs and differentiate them from the rest of the traffic on the data network, even if Verizon was inclined to do so. The only programs that use TEXT are the ones that are VERIZON DESIGNED for DUMBPHONES, which often don't have data plans attached.

And you know what? If you don't believe me, TEST IT. Its not hard. Open your online account. Write down the number of texts. Open the GTalk client from mobile.blackberry.com. Have a conversation. Check the number of texts on your account. Did it go up? I didn't think so.
    06-02-09 11:43 PM
    Thanks! I suggested that a long time ago.

If you think you're getting inconsistent info from VZW be helpful, do your own tests.. And if you can prove them wrong call into a supervisor, ask to go one level up... Explain you want to give them training feedback. Do so politely and you will get a very nice response. I have done so in the past and even got a letter with thank you in the mail a week or so later.

NO company is perfect but I can assure you a call center manager worth his/her salt probably wants them to be! Their CSRs are clearly confused on data on smartphones vs. Dumbphones.

What do I know. Its late. Why am I still on crackberry?

06-03-09 01:10 AM
    Thanks! I suggested that a long time ago.

If you think you're getting inconsistent info from VZW be helpful, do your own tests.. And if you can prove them wrong call into a supervisor, ask to go one level up... Explain you want to give them training feedback. Do so politely and you will get a very nice response. I have done so in the past and even got a letter with thank you in the mail a week or so later.

NO company is perfect but I can assure you a call center manager worth his/her salt probably wants them to be! Their CSRs are clearly confused on data on smartphones vs. Dumbphones.

What do I know. Its late. Why am I still on crackberry?

This is a very very good Idea...

Its just that I think the training some where along the line gets the clients mixed up!

specifically dumbphone vs smartphone...

read civics post as well.. thats a part that I didn't know of.

But definitely all the downloadable clients like in the app store and such are data..
    06-03-09 04:35 AM
    I have always been told with yahoo and aim messenger is that each sent and recieved is counted as a sms. I have unlimited so it dont effect me. But if your limited i def find out and get a name to back your behind up

06-03-09 07:46 AM
    I agree. People can't seem to get it. Frankly, I'm not sure its even TECHNOLOGICALLY POSSIBLE to "sniff out" IMs and differentiate them from the rest of the traffic on the data network , even if Verizon was inclined to do so.
    It is possible to "sniff out" the traffic. AIM, GTalk, Yahoo, etc all have servers that are "hosting" the chat session. You are sending traffic to a very specific destination IP addresses, on specific ports. As a network admin, I can lock out all IM traffic on my network if I need to, or I can lock specific people from accessing IM clients.

I am NOT saying that Big Red is doing this though, only that they COULD (if they wanted to). But even if they did, they would have to bill in KB, not SMS.
    06-03-09 03:56 PM
    I have always been told with yahoo and aim messenger is that each sent and recieved is counted as a sms. I have unlimited so it dont effect me. But if your limited i def find out and get a name to back your behind up

the mobile im client that verizon created for there dumbphones... IE env, any dumbphone uses text messages..

The blackberry ones do not.. this is the truth there is no denying it otherwise with my no text messaging plan I would have probably a 4000 dollar bill each month...

so I can personally guarantee they use data on a blackberry as long as your using the RIM based clients.
    06-03-09 06:38 PM
    Well originally I was trying to cut out having a text plan completely...or at least down to the 250 message package...so I have just been using BBM and Email....

Then my buddy decided to get rid of his iPhone & data package so he now only texts...and he is the main person I talk to besides my wife...

So I have now come to terms that lowering my text plan that low will just never happen. I dropped it to the 1500 msg package and I'm just gonna leave it at that.
    06-06-09 12:34 PM
    Sometimes the services you need are dictated by those you communicate with.

I can't believe how many people still get all worked up over being charged for IM use when it is all their own fault. If you use an I'm that sends messages over text, you will gwet charged for text. If you don't want this to happen, get a different IM client.

I don't like my stuff going thru UPS, so I avoid ordering from anyone where UPS is my only shipping option. I don't complain to UPS for what they charge.

Use text, get charged for text.

06-06-09 03:48 PM

I can't believe how many people still get all worked up over being charged for IM use when it is all their own fault. If you use an I'm that sends messages over text, you will gwet charged for text. If you don't want this to happen, get a different IM client.

I don't like my stuff going thru UPS, so I avoid ordering from anyone where UPS is my only shipping option. I don't complain to UPS for what they charge.

while this may be the case...

the discussion is the blackberry IM clients use data and not "text" messages...

This argument went on for months when the storm came out and many many times before that..

its been proving 50 billion times sense then and still will be proving more.

I can't speak for other smartphones but on blackberrys the yahoo,msn,gtalk,aim use data
    06-06-09 03:52 PM

I have never once complained about IM services using text. I have been trying to find an answer so I could determine whether or not I could drop my MSG package down.
    06-06-09 04:07 PM
    while this may be the case...

the discussion is the blackberry IM clients use data and not "text" messages...

This argument went on for months when the storm came out and many many times before that..

its been proving 50 billion times sense then and still will be proving more.

I can't speak for other smartphones but on blackberrys the yahoo,msn,gtalk,aim use data

I'm not saying you're wrong...in fact you're probably right...But there are several other people who have stated their understanding was that it used text. I myself have deleted all the IM apps from my phone anyway now so I don't really care...I'm just saying most people (myself included) would probably rather take what the carrier is saying as the final say. Not because its right...but because if the people on here happen to be wrong then a huge bill may follow and thats no fun to deal with.

So I know you keep posting the same thing over and over and I appreciate your answers...but my intent with this was not to start a big arguement about the service...I just wanted to know if it was a quick easy answer...now we have some people saying text and some saying data...and no matter how many times you say it the debate still isn't settled...

I will however say that I did notice that whoever said (may have been you noaim) something about beejive saying it saves you money by not using messaging was right...I went to their website and it does state that...

So the question is if I downloaded Beejive again and used that and then did end up getting a really high bill would I have any sort of recourse for it?
    06-06-09 04:12 PM
    I'm not saying you're wrong...in fact you're probably right...But there are several other people who have stated their understanding was that it used text. I myself have deleted all the IM apps from my phone anyway now so I don't really care...I'm just saying most people (myself included) would probably rather take what the carrier is saying as the final say. Not because its right...but because if the people on here happen to be wrong then a huge bill may follow and thats no fun to deal with.

So I know you keep posting the same thing over and over and I appreciate your answers...but my intent with this was not to start a big arguement about the service...I just wanted to know if it was a quick easy answer...now we have some people saying text and some saying data...and no matter how many times you say it the debate still isn't settled...

I will however say that I did notice that whoever said (may have been you noaim) something about beejive saying it saves you money by not using messaging was right...I went to their website and it does state that...

So the question is if I downloaded Beejive again and used that and then did end up getting a really high bill would I have any sort of recourse for it?

look just look at this..

in the past week or so I probably have sent roughly 2000 thousand instant messenger lines just look at my account

I will post this picture everyday if you wish..

this is from my "my verizon" account and it updates at the latest 1 day late..

most the time its within a few hours..

I think basing your information off of verizon reps is not a good idea.. not because there dumb but because I think the training gets skewed.. Verizon offers a dumbphone package on dumbphones that is called like mobile messaging or something...

and it has MSN, AIM, Yahoo all in one program type thing that opens up this can be seen on phones like the ENV...
    that package charges text messages..

so verizon employees seem to just sometimes assume that if that one does it they all do it.
    Last edited by noaim; 06-06-09 at 04:26 PM.
    06-06-09 04:21 PM
    look just look at this..

in the past week or so I probably have sent roughly 2000 thousand instant messenger lines just look at my account

I will post this picture everyday if you wish..

this is from my "my verizon" account and it updates at the latest 1 day late..

most the time its within a few hours..

I think basing your information off of verizon reps is not a good idea.. not because there dumb but because I think the training gets skewed.. Verizon offers a dumbphone package on dumbphones that is called like mobile messaging or something...

and it has MSN, AIM, Yahoo all in one program type thing that opens up this can be seen on phones like the ENV...
    that package charges text messages..

so verizon employees seem to just sometimes assume that if that one does it they all do it.
    And I completely understand what you're saying and I've looked at the pics you've posted. I know your account is not charging you messaging...however apparently according to Verizon mine is...not only did I ask them if IM programs use messaging but they told me my actual usage of messaging which can only be explained through use of IM programs. IM programs that I downloaded specifically from mobile.blackberry.com

So while your account may be working correctly...who knows maybe there is some error in my account. But with the way my account currently seems to be working if I did IM without a messaging package I would have a huge bill.

And yes I know the reps are trained terribly...You can call 5 times and get 5 different answers...But its the same exact thing going on here at CB...I've gotten different answers from different people.
    06-06-09 04:34 PM
    I would post my usage to corroborate noaim's, but unlike her, I am a HEAVY texter AND IMer, so My history would show tons of both DATA and Messaging.

Again, as noaim suggested, try it out for YOURSELF (this applies to ALL those reading this who think the BB IM client's use sms and not data, not just the OP). Check your online account, write down the number of messages it says you have used, and the "as of" date and time. Keep track of the number of SMS, MMS, PIX, IM, etc messages you send (and the times). Then, log back into your account online, and look at the new total for messages sent, and the "as of" time. Compare that to the list you have been keeping for yourself, and see if it adds up. I bet it will, and your IM's will NOT be counted (assuming you only IM via the bb apps during the test).

If you setup, and use, the "forward to cell" option for ANY IM that WILL show as text, and count towards your text plan. If you ONLY use the bb applications, it will be DATA.
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 06-06-09 at 04:46 PM.
    06-06-09 04:44 PM
    I would post my usage to corroborate noaim's, but unlike her, I am a HEAVY texter AND IMer, so My history would show tons of both DATA and Messaging.

Again, as noaim suggested, try it out for YOURSELF (this applies to ALL those reading this who think the BB IM client's use sms and not data, not just the OP). Check your online account, write down the number of messages it says you have used, and the "as of" date and time. Keep track of the number of SMS, MMS, PIX, IM, etc messages you send (and the times). Then, log back into your account online, and look at the new total for messages sent, and the "as of" time. Compare that to the list you have been keeping for yourself, and see if it adds up. I bet it will, and your IM's will NOT be counted (assuming you only IM via the bb apps during the test).

If you setup, and use, the "forward to cell" option for ANY IM that WILL show as text, and count towards your text plan. If you ONLY use the bb applications, it will be DATA.

sorry have to correct you I am definitely a him
    06-06-09 04:57 PM
    Lol...we need something right under the Username/Status/PIN that lets you say your Sex...I think I've called people the wrong thing once or twice too
    06-06-09 04:58 PM
    MY BAD I should have put his or hers. Sorry

And I DEFINITELY do NOT need you to post proof of that
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 06-06-09 at 05:03 PM.
    06-06-09 05:00 PM
    Lol...we need something right under the Username/Status/PIN that lets you say your Sex...I think I've called people the wrong thing once or twice too
    I agree, I've done it SEVERAL times.

And I'm sure I will (unintentionally) do it again.
    06-06-09 05:01 PM
    And I DEFINITELY do NOT need you to post proof of that
    LMAO....I think that would get banned
    06-06-09 05:17 PM
    it wasn't a big deal just didn't want confusion is all haha
    06-06-09 05:28 PM
    I totally understand, I wouldn't want people confusing my gender either
    06-06-09 05:39 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD