06-07-09 03:59 PM
56 123
tools
    I spoke with Verizon the other day regarding my messaging plan. I have unlimited but rarely ever use SMS...I only talk to my wife (through BBM) and a couple friends through AIM/MSN/GTalk.

So I figured all in all I wasn't using many texts so I would drop it to the lowest text package. Verizon informed that AIM/MSN/GTalk are counted as messaging and not data...is this correct? Or did the guy not know what he was talking about?

I always assumed it would be considered data...I don't even see the point in using any of those services if it is counted as messaging.
    05-31-09 03:07 PM
    If you are on a Blackberry, and are using the programs downloaded from http://mobile.blackberry.com, those are most definitely DATA not TEXT. Dumbphone IM apps typically do send IMs over TEXT.
    05-31-09 03:27 PM
    From personal experience back when I had verizon and they did not have unlimited texting I barely used texts but used aim and messenger programs like that a lot thinking that it wouldn't be counted as texting, but it did. I got my first months bill and it was almost nine hundred dollars.. The only thing I'm not sure about is if bbm counts towards text or not. That would be really nice to know! (although I'm with Alltel now..)
    05-31-09 03:31 PM
    The IM clients that come with the device and can be installed from the mobile blackberry website or DM and BBM are considered data charges by VZW. As Jahutch said, the mobile IM apps on dumbphones are considered text charges. I think the rep was just confused.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 03:37 PM
    So does that mean that programs like BeeJive IM would use text but the actual AIM/MSN/GTalk programs would use data?

I was using Beejive for a good portion of the last few months so that would explain a lot....

By the way Sunshower.beauty BBM does not use your messages it counts as data.
    05-31-09 04:02 PM
    I've been using the BeejiveIM app on my BB haven't been charged for texts only data.

05-31-09 04:12 PM
    I've been using the BeejiveIM app on my BB haven't been charged for texts only data.

Strange...maybe I should speak with VZW customer care rather than a store rep...
    05-31-09 04:50 PM
    BBM is data. Any IM client you download from a third-party site is data. There are a very few VZW apps that might still use text, because they were originally designed for dumbphones.

The first thing you ask any rep when needing an answer to this type of query is simple: "Do you have a smartphone or are you smartphone trained?" If the answer is anything other that a confident "yes," ask to speak with someone who is.

05-31-09 05:00 PM
    Strange...maybe I should speak with VZW customer care rather than a store rep...
    Yeah that is strange. It even says on the BeejiveIM website, "Save money by sending instant messages over your data plan and reducing text messages used. No SMS charges!" If you have a MyVerizon account, you can monitor your text usage from your computer and from your device you can dial #DATA to get an estimated report of your usage.

05-31-09 05:03 PM
    Yeah that is strange. It even says on the BeejiveIM website, "Save money by sending instant messages over your data plan and reducing text messages used. No SMS charges!" If you have a MyVerizon account, you can monitor your text usage from your computer and from your device you can dial #DATA to get an estimated report of your usage.

Thats what got me into the situation in the first place...I always keep an eye on my usage from my online account...and I remember it said I had used like 90 messages one month and 80 some odd messages the next month...I was very rarely using them...

So when I went to the store and the guy said I had used 500 I was really confused.
    05-31-09 05:28 PM
    I spoke with Verizon the other day regarding my messaging plan. I have unlimited but rarely ever use SMS...I only talk to my wife (through BBM) and a couple friends through AIM/MSN/GTalk.

So I figured all in all I wasn't using many texts so I would drop it to the lowest text package. Verizon informed that AIM/MSN/GTalk are counted as messaging and not data...is this correct? Or did the guy not know what he was talking about?

I always assumed it would be considered data...I don't even see the point in using any of those services if it is counted as messaging.
    I thought I saw the AIM app available from the verizon site said it was an IM device... If I remember correctly.

Make sure you are using the programs from the mobile.blackberry.com website NOT the ones from the application store... I would send a few test messages back and forth and go check your text usage and see if they've gone up.
    05-31-09 05:46 PM
    Ughh I'm so confused now too....I have a buddy who's been working for Verizon and using a blackberry for several years now...just asked him and he said it uses texts...

I will get to the bottom of this!
    05-31-09 06:36 PM
    I've used BeeJive and it should also be data.

I use AIM and GTalk (DLed from RIM) regularly, and they definitely use only data. I only have 250 text so I'd know if it was using a text every time I send an IM.

Use the official clients from RIM, or a program that *specifically* says it uses data, and you should be good. DON'T use any programs you get with VZW.
    05-31-09 07:14 PM
    Thats just it guys...I've always only used things I got from RIM with the exception of JiveTalk....the AIM/MSN/GTalk apps that I downloaded were from the mobile.blackberry.com site

So I still don't understand where the discrepency in sms count is coming from.
    05-31-09 07:16 PM
    All the IM programs that are integrated within a blackberry use Text Messages and not Data. BBM uses data. Third party IM apps such as Beejive use data.
    06-01-09 02:34 PM
    The only time that "instant messaging" will count as text is if you send your I'm program "mobile", meaning that you aren't using the client itself on the phone, the client is on your computer and is redirecting through the server as text to and from you. If you install the actual program on your Berry and log into it, it only uses data.

06-01-09 03:10 PM
    OK OK OK everyone...i'm getting different answers from the people on here now too.

Here is the situation: I have used AIM/MSN/Gtalk all downloaded directly from mobile.blackberry.com

I have also used BeeJive IM.

Verizon's online site said I used like 90ish messages in a month. The rep told me over 500 messages in a month.

I will find out the final answer on this question and post it here. Until then please don't answer my question any longer unless you have an official answer from Verizon themselves.
    06-01-09 07:06 PM
    The problem with the "official" answer from Big Red is that, you could call 50 different reps and get 50 different answers.

I have seen quotes from their website stating that it both is and isn't text, so they contradict themselves.

If you do a search, you will find hundreds of posts trying to sort out this exact same issue, and I don't think any of them got any better a response than what has been posted here already.

In my personal experience, the IM client apps have been billed as data, not text.

06-01-09 07:32 PM
    Instant message client software is data.

06-01-09 07:40 PM

Its data usage.
    06-01-09 07:52 PM
    OK OK OK everyone...i'm getting different answers from the people on here now too.

Here is the situation: I have used AIM/MSN/Gtalk all downloaded directly from mobile.blackberry.com

I have also used BeeJive IM.

Verizon's online site said I used like 90ish messages in a month. The rep told me over 500 messages in a month.

I will find out the final answer on this question and post it here. Until then please don't answer my question any longer unless you have an official answer from Verizon themselves.
    Are you sure that you weren't using one of the apps from the Verizon launchers instead of the ones from mobile.blackberry.com?
    06-01-09 08:07 PM
    NICE! My suggestion - log into your online account again, call a VZ Rep again, ask the same question, if they tell you 500, ask them WHY your online account says 90ish.
    06-01-09 08:30 PM
    Are you sure that you weren't using one of the apps from the Verizon launchers instead of the ones from mobile.blackberry.com?
    Yes I am positive...I don't download from VZW.

I called customer service. The lady did some research and told me it is billed as text messaging. She went over my usage with me.

So...official answer from 2 VZW reps...billed as messaging
    06-01-09 10:41 PM
    Yes I am positive...I don't download from VZW.

I called customer service. The lady did some research and told me it is billed as text messaging. She went over my usage with me.

So...official answer from 2 VZW reps...billed as messaging

how about this...

I have been using all 4 of the messaging applications sense the day I had it 6 months ago

and have also used instango

I have had 3 text messages in the last 4 months...

I have been on instant messengers everyday all day for the last 6 months..

I do not have a text messaging plan of any sort.

They are data..

EOS no further questions close the thread

The only clients on verizon that charge for text messages are the mobile IM package seen on "Dumbphones"

now whether the reps know this or not that we have no control over.

but none the less it would be easy for them to get mixed up as the mobile im client on the dumb phones do use text messages.

Besides the ones that count as text messages do they even let you send files through them?
    Last edited by noaim; 06-01-09 at 11:26 PM.
    06-01-09 11:20 PM
    nope! they're counted as sms not data msgs.
    06-02-09 09:27 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD