I ran a search on this subject, but didn't find anything specific.....

Last year on a trip to Italy, my Storm1 worked great, but one of the big disappointments was that the Vodaphone signal would disappear while I was in my hotel. The hotel offered free WiFi but, as we know, the Storm1 didn't.

Since then, I've upgraded to the Storm2 and now I'm headed back to Rome and will be staying in the same hotel. Will my Storm2's WiFi work there? Is there anything in particular I need to know about using the Storm2's WiFi in Europe?

BTW, I'm good on making sure I switch over to VZW's International Data and Voice Plans before I leave.

Thanks!
    Rich
    04-03-10 09:17 AM

Last year on a trip to Italy, my Storm1 worked great, but one of the big disappointments was that the Vodaphone signal would disappear while I was in my hotel. The hotel offered free WiFi but, as we know, the Storm1 didn't.

Since then, I've upgraded to the Storm2 and now I'm headed back to Rome and will be staying in the same hotel. Will my Storm2's WiFi work there? Is there anything in particular I need to know about using the Storm2's WiFi in Europe?

BTW, I'm good on making sure I switch over to VZW's International Data and Voice Plans before I leave.

Thanks!
    Rich
    I'll try answering in Italian (according to Yahoo translate so forgive me if you are Italian)...

Dovrebbe funzionare, esso dipende da come il hotel' la sicurezza di wifi di s autentica

In other words.....

It depends on the security the hotel uses to authenticate.
    04-03-10 11:13 AM

Thanks!
    Rich
    Yes you will be able to use Wi-fi. As long as you have access to it.
    04-03-10 12:07 PM
    Thanks guys.

Hopefully, it should work since they advertise free WiFi (well, at least as good as PK's Italian!)

Ciao (which should actually be spelled 'chow'........go figure.)
    Rich
    04-03-10 12:27 PM
    I'm going to Italy with my unlocked Blackberry Bold. I'm told if I buy a SIm before I go, put it in in Italy, that I can make calls using that Sim locally. I want to maximize the capabilities of my Wifi when I am there. If I register with RomaWireless, and give them my Italian cell phone number, can I get Wifi for free at all of RomaWireless's public sites around the city? Anyone had any experience with this?
    04-08-10 12:28 PM
    Vodafone Italy offers prepaid BIS for 3 Euros a week.:

http://www.areaprivati.vodafone.it/1...obile_internet

As long as your BB is unlocked, it should work just fine without having to release your PIN from your home operator, however, any e-mail accounts you have will be lost and would have to be re-registered on the device itself (so make a back-up with DM)
    04-08-10 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD