I see where ppl r saying they will have to pay $50 for a refub because they don't have insurance.... I have insurance and when my fiance broke his phone they said I would have to pay $90 for a refub....

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-14-10 09:52 AM
    That's because they recently changed the policy. Smartphones are now replaced at $89 and regular phones replaced for cheaper.
    02-14-10 09:58 AM
    But is the insurance really worth it if ppl that don't have it get the discount too?

02-14-10 10:01 AM
    For the first year from original purchase, Blackberry (RIM) have a manufacturer's warranty against defects for the phone itself. This does not cover any water damage or accidental damage. And again, it is for the first year only. Insurance covers additional damage (accidentally dropping it in a puddle then driving over it for example) or theft. Not only does it cover things that the manufacturer's warranty does not cover, it offers longer coverage (beyond that first year)

Make sense? (this is just how I understand it to work from what I've read on the forums. I hope I have not mis-informed you, and if I have.... someone please correct me so I can learn too!!)
    02-14-10 10:08 AM
    I'm wanting to know about how ppl get these replacement discounts that don't have insurance....

02-14-10 10:20 AM
    I'm wanting to know about how ppl get these replacement discounts that don't have insurance....

It sounds like someone may have had a fit inside a store or over the phone with a call center. Verizon is a business and a competitive one at that! People tell there "negative" experiences (even due to their ill preparedness) to everyone, so that's probably a thing they can look past. Insurance is good because its solid contracted coverage... That person may have been at the right place at the right time. Just think of what would have been posted in its place if that persons phone had to be replaced at FULL RETAIL!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Also stories like that are most likely the exact reason why the deductible and premium are higher now!
    Last edited by Shorty43081; 02-14-10 at 10:45 AM.
    02-14-10 10:31 AM

For damage that requires an insurance replacement, there is no discount. You pay the deductible price or don't get a phone. VZW offers no discounts or replacement options for lost or damaged phones, that's why they have insurance.
    02-14-10 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD