06-25-09 05:29 PM
93 ... 234
tools
    Hey guys - the OP isn't using BES, nor did he indicate a business need. I believe he even mentioned AOL Mail.

So ya, ya, ya - for business & IT, the BlackBerry is easier to implement & support - hence the reason I have a BES & BlackBerrys for my business. BUT, BlackBerry is still not a consumer-centric solution.

The iPhone is better for consumers. WinMo is better for advanced consumers & tech-types - those who want more than push email, a middle-of-the-road phone & a bare-bones browser experience.

Consumers tend to want a little more fun & versatility in their personal electronics.

Posted from a StrangeBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I can agree with this as you can simply look how well the iPhone sold and who it sold to

I do believe that RIM is trying to jump into a consumer market especially with the storm - Now even though there media applications still lack they have been improved a bit , but it really still isn't on par with that of the iPhone.
    05-22-09 03:03 PM
    If you just want to be a Crackberry fan boy then just go with the Saga.
    06-24-09 05:29 AM
    If you just want to be a Crackberry fan boy then just go with the Saga.
    It has nothing to do with being a fanboy - fanboys typically are not realists. Some of us are realists.

Consolidated Traps made a solid line of mousetraps for years. They took care of mice, were low maintenance & within budget for many. Consolidated had many fans of their lineup who would never buy an offbrand.

ACME, a company long known for big game traps & hunting equipment, introduces it's MegaTrap. The MegaTrap is about the same size as the Consolidated line, but comes in more colors. Pricing is more than competitive. The MegaTrap not only catches mice as well as the olf favorite, it can also handle rats, raccoons & fox. It can catch various critters simultaneously and can even reset itself. The MegaTrap has increased resources to allow it to record all it has done.

In response to the MegaTrap, Consolidated has made some evolutionary changes to it's traps - new colors, names, made a folding model for easy carry & portability. It added pictures of a bear & a fox to it's color scheme, but the lineup still will only catch mice.

I, the customer, extolled the virtues of Consolidated Traps for years. But refusing to keep my head in the sand or believing the hype/marketing schemes, I looked at the MegaTrap and found it to be everything they said it to be. Still, there are those who say the MegaTrap has problems with larger raccoons & freezes up - but they don't acknowledge the fact the CT models can't do raccoons at all. When I say I don't have raccoons, but have needed a fox & rat solution, the CT fanboys try to shout me down; they call me names. They say I am a traitor.

A traitor to what? Do I own Consolidated? Do they employ me? Do they feed my family? Have they ever once paid my bills?

The same thing should be thought of with RIM & BlackBerry. Do they pay your bills or feed your family? Do you even personally know someone who works for RIM? Has RIM even done anything for your community?

There are devices out there that do most everything better. They can multitask, have more memory, are vastly more configurable, and can run many more apps - and they cost about the same amount of money. The big thing I've heard against some of those devices is that their battery life is bad. Well, I remember when a BlackBerry device would go seven days without a charge. My Curves need a second battery to finish the day. Recent BlackBerry testers I have been playing with indicate this trend to shorter battery life will continue - not a slam to BlackBerry, but an indication that more capability requires more power. BlackBerry is pulling up the rear in capability & power - no multi-tasking capability for 5.0, for example, while WinMo had it since WinCE days. While BlackBerry fans get excited over a few extra MB of system memory, WinMo & future Palm, Android & Symbian phones are looking at system memory in the gigabytes, while BlackBerry is still muddling around in resources around or below a quarter GB.

More power requires more battery - think Hyundai vs Ferrari. More configurability means more complexity and more room for a user to hose things up - think Hyundai @ 30MPH vs Ferrari @ 180MPH.

I won't drive a Hyundai (or Toyota or Kia, etc), no matter how reliable or economical.

If you don't need the extra horsepower or your abilities don't match extra complexity, fine - go with BlackBerry. Just don't call people things because they may need the added capabilities or are honest about them. An honest assessment puts the capabilities of BlackBerrys down with other dumbphones.

We use BlackBerry in my business because we need to manage, monitor & control our information & phones. We also don't require the extra capabilities. It was a business decision that makes sense to those of us who manage the purse strings and we have no problem paying thousands of dollars for a BES to make it all come together. For many, though, the added features of other solutions make more sense - in my world, it is my personal needs that BlackBerry doesn't come close to filling.

The gratuitous attitude I see on many fansites is that their preference trumps all others, no matter what. This is a very nave & ignorant stand. The same thought process could argue that VW Beetles (the original Type 1), with their simplicity & reliability is better than a BMW 3-Series or even a new Chevy Malibu. Don't be so laughably closed-minded.

Those who blindly claim BlackBerry is the best really don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. In many ways, iPhone, Symbian, Palm, WinMo & Android eat BlackBerry for breakfast, lunch & dinner. This doesn't mean there isn't a place for BlackBerry - BlackBerry is best at email (handling, not rendering), but really nothing else. You need to take an open & honest look at what else is out there.

I mean, for the best mobile email handler to routinely choke on HTML messages & flash content - it isn't even worth considering for most consumers and those consumers need to turn away from the hype and get realistic as to their needs.

Then you also need to ask yourself what purpose does a Zippo lighter or fart app from the iTunes store serve - more than just a little juvenile, wouldn't you say?

Posted from my NovelBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 01:54 PM
    Great comparison Twins. I personally prefer the jiggling boobs app!
    06-24-09 02:16 PM
    Me too. Just saw a jogger while I went to pick up lunch. Still can't believe she didn't have two black eyes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 04:55 PM
    Heh - you're kidding, right? There actually is one? Shake the phone & they jiggle?

This is a game-changer. Hello, AT&T? I'd like to order a new iPhone. Can you get it to me today?

06-25-09 09:38 AM
    Heh - you're kidding, right? There actually is one? Shake the phone & they jiggle?

This is a game-changer. Hello, AT&T? I'd like to order a new iPhone. Can you get it to me today?

Oh yeah, I can just picture this all happening. Bear in mind folks, when this man has a woman in a bikini approach him, he looks only into her eyes and shuffles uncomfortably.

06-25-09 01:03 PM
    Hmm....all the research I have done says that you need to purchase The Missing Sync to even sync a WinMo phone with a mac...Haven't found any information on how to update a WinMo phone on a mac....
    If memory serves me correctly, all the updates (if done through a computer) are .exe files, which Macs cannot natively read, unless they have a program like boot camp installed....
    Twins did state that his machine does both Mac AND Windows. Which means he can switch between OS's to do both functions. Just saying.
    Honestly I'm biased tward blackberry, but he makes a valid argument. There are pros and cons to both.
    06-25-09 01:20 PM

No kidding Twins! I cant open the link from work but if this doesnt work, Google "Jiggling boobs App". www.bofunk.com/video/8151/new_iphone_jiggle_app.html
    06-25-09 01:48 PM
    Me too. Just saw a jogger while I went to pick up lunch. Still can't believe she didn't have two black eyes.

Sorry for throwing this thread off topic. Those kinds of joggers make me !
    06-25-09 01:51 PM
    Twins did state that his machine does both Mac AND Windows. Which means he can switch between OS's to do both functions. Just saying.
    Honestly I'm biased tward blackberry, but he makes a valid argument. There are pros and cons to both.
    Any reason for drudging up that post which was settled quite a while ago? We were talking about Macs in general if memory serves, and syncing while booted in MacOSX, not about Twins specific machine....
    06-25-09 01:54 PM
    I guess if one's definition of a phone is a device with a slow processor, tiny memory, mediocre voice quality, poor speakerphone and an insufficient browser, then I guess you might be correct.

Unfortunately voice quality wise I DO have to agree that the curve is inferior.
    My folks and my boyfriend are constantly complaining that they can hear EVERYTHING going on in the background, but cant hear me. Example is last night. I was sitting outside with my neighbors and Les called me. He said he couldnt hear me because of all the background noise.
    I've had my mother tell me the same thing if I'm sitting inside with the tv on or in the car with the radio on. Not even up very loud.
    The speakerphone function is not very valuable either. Honestly my phone is more for the data features and I text on it more than I talk, but there you go.
    I have not had much experiance with palms or winMo except for the tech aspect when they have issues.
    But heres what I see....
    All the phones have their perks and downfalls.
    Palms and WinMo have better wireless sync option that is supported by the carrier. BB has to use google sync or Desktop Redirector which I'm sorry to say is poorly supported by tech support. We dont get sufficiant training on it because its a rare call. I've never gotten one.
    BB has push email. which I like better but thats a preferance.
    I see the perks of the pull email every so often, not so much data usage but if you have unlimited data theres no diff.
    Battery life is expected to be bad if you have your wifi on all the time as one of my collegues said in an earlier post. Key is to turn it OFF and have it on when you need it only.
    IMO not having wifi is the smartest thing Blackberry did. I HAVE to charge my phone every night or it wont last the next day. Even if I have most of my battery left.
    If a Blackberry had wifi we'd have to carry extra batteries around.
    Bottom line... everybody has very valid arguments and I think that asking opinions is a setup for a phone bashing session.
    All you can do is try the phone out and if you dont like it exchange in WFG to the other. You get ONE exchange in that 30 day period... if you have 2 phones that interest. Take advantage of that.
    06-25-09 03:19 PM
    My folks and my boyfriend are constantly complaining that they can hear EVERYTHING going on in the background, but cant hear me. Example is last night. I was sitting outside with my neighbors and Les called me. He said he couldnt hear me because of all the background noise.
    I've had my mother tell me the same thing if I'm sitting inside with the tv on or in the car with the radio on. Not even up very loud.
    The speakerphone function is not very valuable either. Honestly my phone is more for the data features and I text on it more than I talk, but there you go.
    I have not had much experiance with palms or winMo except for the tech aspect when they have issues.
    But heres what I see....
    Palms and WinMo have better wireless sync option that is supported by the carrier. BB has to use google sync or Desktop Redirector which I'm sorry to say is poorly supported by tech support. We dont get sufficiant training on it because its a rare call. I've never gotten one.
    I see the perks of the pull email every so often, not so much data usage but if you have unlimited data theres no diff.
    Battery life is expected to be bad if you have your wifi on all the time as one of my collegues said in an earlier post. Key is to turn it OFF and have it on when you need it only.
    IMO not having wifi is the smartest thing Blackberry did. I HAVE to charge my phone every night or it wont last the next day. Even if I have most of my battery left.
    Bottom line... everybody has very valid arguments and I think that asking opinions is a setup for a phone bashing session.
    All you can do is try the phone out and if you dont like it exchange in WFG to the other. You get ONE exchange in that 30 day period... if you have 2 phones that interest. Take advantage of that.
    Weird how some BB's behave differently. I had the Storm for 5 months and went through 4 of them. Some issues I was having others were not and vice versa. My Curve has excellent call quality both on my end and on the other end. Ive had no problems with it since I switched.
    06-25-09 03:41 PM
    06-25-09 03:42 PM
    Weird how some BB's behave differently. I had the Storm for 5 months and went through 4 of them. Some issues I was having others were not and vice versa. My Curve has excellent call quality both on my end and on the other end. Ive had no problems with it since I switched.
    I agree. it is weird how all phones have diff issues. I cant believe how many curves I replace for random issues that are "known" issues that I've never had. And I know people with Storms who love em and never had a replacement. Yet I am obliged to listen to at least 8 people a day complain about "how slow their phone is" or "this phone sucks; replace it"
    Or how many people we've refered to get a curve who were unhappy with the storm.
    I think honestly that my phone problems are on my bf's and my folks end. They have the same make/models. ( EnV2's ) but still the speaker isnt the greatest on mine. Perhaps its user error bc I use it so much

Bottom line... no matter how naughty my phone is... I LOVE MY BERRY...
    Its just my preferance...
    06-25-09 04:21 PM
    I agree. it is weird how all phones have diff issues. I cant believe how many curves I replace for random issues that are "known" issues that I've never had. And I know people with Storms who love em and never had a replacement. Yet I am obliged to listen to at least 8 people a day complain about "how slow their phone is" or "this phone sucks; replace it"
    Or how many people we've refered to get a curve who were unhappy with the storm.
    I think honestly that my phone problems are on my bf's and my folks end. They have the same make/models. ( EnV2's ) but still the speaker isnt the greatest on mine. Perhaps its user error bc I use it so much

Bottom line... no matter how naughty my phone is... I LOVE MY BERRY...
    Its just my preferance...
    Same here. Because yours is a female (pink) it could be a "hormonal" thing as well.
    Last edited by oifvet1967; 06-25-09 at 04:44 PM.
    06-25-09 04:38 PM
    But heres what I see....
    Great post Heather. I agree with all you said. There was a time when BB was the defacto choice for anyone other than geeks but now the lines have been blurred. While other platforms habe been blazing new trails in function, rim seems to be trudging along. It doesn't seem like anything innovative is coming from them. Processors are slower, memory is small and web stuff is limited. The old BB strengths of push email, reliability and long battery life have gone away. As Dad mentioned, part of this has to do with adding more capability. The phones that always had more capability were dogged for crashes and short battery life. Well now, my battery won't last a whole day even with new rim batteries and battery pulls are frequent. I was reading some things online from about three years ago where they were dogging other phones because the battery wouldn't last a whole day while BB battery life was several days and how microsoft phones needed reboots and you had to remember to close apps so they wouldn't keep running in the background. There were memory limits and more. I remember those days but today you could easily be describing any BB too.

The advantage BB has is with push email but that advantage is offset by the need to route thru rim servers. This slows down browsing, file xfers and adds one more thing that needs to be working to keep your phone functioning. Microsoft and palm and apple could go out of business but the phone in your hand will keep working. Rim has a server blip and thousands suddenly can't get email or data.

A couple months ago when the wifi debate was raging here I was over at Dad's place. He showed me some figures on power draw. The current Curve on cdma pulled x amount of power. A wifi radio would pull y amount of power. The Curve battery had z amount of capacity. The end result was a maximum battery life of about 90 minutes but based on some conditions, it could be as little as 30 minutes. He said one of the reasons for this is that even with wifi the cdma radio continues to operate because of the way rim interacts with cdma. On gsm the wifi takes over for the radio. So you don't have two radios fighting for power on gsm but even then the BB phones with wifi have bad battery life.

It is a long way from the days of going a week on a battery charge and not having to reboot a BB for months at a time.

You have to look at all things and forget about the brand if you want to be thrilled with your phone.
    06-25-09 04:42 PM
    Heather & Dogs -

Both of you have hit it on the head - I've mentioned all of these things in the past. I would like to expand on something Heather mentioned -

Call quality, as it pertains to the BlackBerry microphone: subpar. It is pretty bad that I get much better voice quality reports when using a good BT headset. Far fewer requests to repeat what I am saying, too. When chatting with other BlackBerry users, I often have difficulty hearing/understanding them, as well. Remember that I have several BlackBerry examples, so it isn't an isolated issue.

Call quality, as it pertains to BlackBerry speakerphone: what speakerphone? You mean that squawkbox that I hear when I "Activate Speakerphone?" The other party can't hear me if I am more than a few inches away and what I hear is worse than an out of range 70's era CB radio transmission. RIM could learn a thing or two from LG, Moto or Samsung. The speakerphones suck on BlackBerry.

My point always has been to forget the BlackBerry or WinMo or Palm part and go with a phone that does what you need it to do - no more & no less. I could really use a phone with an acceptable speakerphone that can do flash & decent HTML. The speakerphone/HTML is important for all purposes, including business, while flash is more of a personal need or want. This is why I hold that BlackBerry is still a touch better for business when admin needs are included (or you just have to have that email 5 min faster), while a good phone like the Palm Pre or Samsung Saga is better for just abiut everything else.

Then there are those who don't need a smartphone & either have one because they think they have to have it, or because thet think it is convenient or cool or just bought into the hype. For most, a phone like the enV series would do just as much for less money. In today's screwed economy (thanks government meddlers), saving what little you may have is extremely important.

06-25-09 05:29 PM
93 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD