06-25-09 05:29 PM
93 1234
tools
    i didn't want to comment on this but I feel I have to. One of the main things about your post twin was that if the blackberry servers go down you dont have email.. Yes that is very true. However being that you typed so much about it you make it seem like a huge problem. In many many many years they have only went down a handful of times and very rarely. So even though its kind of semi a flawed setup it hasn't really been a issue in like forever. A person will experience not having data on there device from the carrier way more often then the rim servers going down.
    Much of what you said is very true - RIM servers are redundant and do offer decent reliability, but still - my point was to debunk the last bastion of the BlackBerry experience, not to demolish it all. You know how it goes - no matter what you bring up that is positive about WinMo over BlackBerry & someone will invariably say, BUT IT HAS PUSH EMAIL!!!

A year ago, I was firmly in the BlackBerry camp, mainly due to the availability of devices running WinMo on a reliable network. After all, the Tilt & Treo were never anything to write home about. But today, it is different. I've been playing with the new phones, with beta 6.5 - and I've seen alpha 7.0 and it is good.

My big issue with BlackBerry is it needs to be routed through an extra layer for online data connectivity and it is not as stable as people claim it to be. If it were, battery pulls would be non-existent, but they aren't.

Running 6.5 on an Omnia - fetch set for 2min, I see about 20% less battery life than on a Curve. Toss in the Skyfire browser and I get flash, all online videos and more - but most of these things are also available through IE - even on the current 6.1 OS.

And, I've had to do zero battery pulls - even with a beta OS.

Now are the current Samsungs perfect? Not by a long shot - but the Saga has more memory, a superior browser & much better message management. And, for those who value such things, it has WiFi. Overall, it is a better value than BlackBerry.

Again, though - your mileage may vary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 09:51 PM
    Much of what you said is very true - RIM servers are redundant and do offer decent reliability, but still - my point was to debunk the last bastion of the BlackBerry experience, not to demolish it all. You know how it goes - no matter what you bring up that is positive about WinMo over BlackBerry & someone will invariably say, BUT IT HAS PUSH EMAIL!!!

A year ago, I was firmly in the BlackBerry camp, mainly due to the availability of devices running WinMo on a reliable network. After all, the Tilt & Treo were never anything to write home about. But today, it is different. I've been playing with the new phones, with beta 6.5 - and I've seen alpha 7.0 and it is good.

My big issue with BlackBerry is it needs to be routed through an extra layer for online data connectivity and it is not as stable as people claim it to be. If it were, battery pulls would be non-existent, but they aren't.

Running 6.5 on an Omnia - fetch set for 2min, I see about 20% less battery life than on a Curve. Toss in the Skyfire browser and I get flash, all online videos and more - but most of these things are also available through IE - even on the current 6.1 OS.

And, I've had to do zero battery pulls - even with a beta OS.

Now are the current Samsungs perfect? Not by a long shot - but the Saga has more memory, a superior browser & much better message management. And, for those who value such things, it has WiFi. Overall, it is a better value than BlackBerry.

Again, though - your mileage may vary.

and I can agree with alot of this im not out to bash windows mobile in any sense. I actually would prefer there to be 3-4 top notch contendors its keeps things moving along faster.

My point was simply based on a complexity issue especially to new users and also that rims servers really would only be a problem if they let it slip.

I will say when you jam a blackberry onto opera mini its just as fast as skyfire on a windows mobile phone in most cases. Now obviously its hard to really tell as its not really comparing apples to apples. I do agree that the main browser in a BB could be a ton faster.

Overall my main grype about a windows mobile device is simply based on many many weird interface issues and like just weird glicthes that I have come across. such as the phone just simply wiping itself (now even though my users claimed they didnt do it sometimes I wondor) I really want to see the new windows mobile 7. It will be a long time for me to jump off a blackberry. The battery pull issue that you speak of may seem weird but over all the devices are actually pretty dang solid I mean that is if you aren't installing new crap apps all the time. In the time I have owned my Storm even with the semi glitchy software I have went over a month and a half without a reboot of the device.

The main issue I have with blackberrys is the lack of memory for applications and thats usually what causes people to have there issues is installing so much to lower the memory so low.

I just wish microsoft would get away from there thought of "we need to have windows xp" on a mobile device because honestly thats what it looks like there trying to do and it just doesnt work.
    05-18-09 10:07 PM
    and I can agree with alot of this im not out to bash windows mobile in any sense. I actually would prefer there to be 3-4 top notch contendors its keeps things moving along faster.

My point was simply based on a complexity issue especially to new users and also that rims servers really would only be a problem if they let it slip
    The part about new users is dead on & I believe I mentioned it in my first post. It is easier to "break" a WinMo device - but as long as you use established computing caution, anyone should be okay. Problem is, many don't. They get a new device & before they've even cracked the manual, or leaned the device basics, they add themes, skins, 12 apps and have attempted 9 config changes.

How do you troubleshoot a conflict after that?

Competition is good. For work, we're currently running BlackBerrys on a BES setup. This works for us, as the devices are used for only business. We pay, we control. We don't allow personal phones on our BES because, frankly, we don't want to support them and we really don't want anything done on a personal device that might be job affecting.

But most folks want a little more - they want flash, they want videos. They want the personal goodies & not the cold, hard BlackBerry experience. They get a BlackBerry, then complain it isn't an iPhone. A BlackBerry simply is not as powerful or as versatile as an iPhone - I don't care if you're talking Storm or Bold or Niagara. By the time RIM matches the current iPhone, Apple will be two gens ahead. But iPhone doesn't offer a true business environment.

WinMo devices are set to take off now that Microsoft is putting some serious effort behind the platform.

RIM doesn't have the computing or the programming prowess of either Apple or Microsoft.

05-18-09 10:44 PM
    The part about new users is dead on & I believe I mentioned it in my first post. It is easier to "break" a WinMo device - but as long as you use established computing caution, anyone should be okay. Problem is, many don't. They get a new device & before they've even cracked the manual, or leaned the device basics, they add themes, skins, 12 apps and have attempted 9 config changes.

How do you troubleshoot a conflict after that?

Competition is good. For work, we're currently running BlackBerrys on a BES setup. This works for us, as the devices are used for only business. We pay, we control. We don't allow personal phones on our BES because, frankly, we don't want to support them and we really don't want anything done on a personal device that might be job affecting.

But most folks want a little more - they want flash, they want videos. They want the personal goodies & not the cold, hard BlackBerry experience. They get a BlackBerry, then complain it isn't an iPhone. A BlackBerry simply is not as powerful or as versatile as an iPhone - I don't care if you're talking Storm or Bold or Niagara. By the time RIM matches the current iPhone, Apple will be two gens ahead. But iPhone doesn't offer a true business environment.

WinMo devices are set to take off now that Microsoft is putting some serious effort behind the platform.

RIM doesn't have the computing or the programming prowess of either Apple or Microsoft.

The iPhone is just that a "flashy" device. It even sold me for a while. It was not however built around being a multi tasking device in which case I believe the pre is about the rock the house in many ways. For me having run down the iPhone world im just not willing to take the risk anymore. I like having a device that masters communication this is where I believe blackberry has it nailed to the floor. Not only in just push email but just the setup and work flow of the device itself.

Media may not be on par with iPhone and possibly even the pre when it hits but its not completely absent anymore its getting better.

I think personally that browser talk will come a non issue in years to come becaues of companys like skyfire. There currently pushing into blackberrys. I think that someone who specializes in just browsing on mobile devices is going to be the answer.

Just my thoughts
    05-19-09 12:13 AM
    The Pre is a sweet phone. Too bad it is Sprint only - although rumors are floating that Palm may exercise an out because they can't afford to only be on a small carrier.

05-19-09 01:36 AM
    The Pre is a sweet phone. Too bad it is Sprint only - although rumors are floating that Palm may exercise an out because they can't afford to only be on a small carrier.

well unfortunately if the pre doesn't take off this may very well be the last stint of palm. They really need this to fly.
    05-19-09 01:39 AM
    I purchased a Saga 2 months ago, and let me tell you this phone is very BUGGY!!!

First off, there is a major problem with the phone where it wakes up all the time. I have it set so only the power button will wake up the device and plenty of times it just wakes up on its own in my pocket. Apparently it is a common bug with the phone and and 2 forums I have found other Saga owners to have the same problem, even with replacement Sagas. On the verizon forums, the techs state to have backlight set to never turn off and this seems to relieve the problem, however a pretty poor resolution to the problem.

Secondly the battery life is horrible!!! I purchased the extended battery and it seems to last maybe 2 days with like maybe 2 times a day checking my emails and occasional web browsing. However whenever I surf the web, I can actually watch the battery lose about 15% of its charge just from 5 minutes of web surfing.

Sometimes the phone will just turn off service and I have to reboot the whole thing to get it back to where it shows having a signal.

Overall, I could care less for windows mobile. I am pretty upset that I burned my upgrade and didnt discover these annoying bugs till after the 30 days and now I am stuck with this phone. I definitely am going to be purchasing a blackberry at full retail price soon
    05-19-09 04:19 PM
    well unfortunately if the pre doesn't take off this may very well be the last stint of palm. They really need this to fly.
    And that would be sad - I still have memories of learning Graffiti on the old Pilots, then writing entire novellas on them.
    Overall, I could care less for windows mobile. I am pretty upset that I burned my upgrade and didnt discover these annoying bugs till after the 30 days and now I am stuck with this phone. I definitely am going to be purchasing a blackberry at full retail price soon
    It took you over a month to discover these things?

As I've mentioned before, like a full sized computer or laptop, adds & changes can cause conflicts. The Saga I've been using has none of the issues you mentioned. The battery meter is rather pessimistic & indicates less charge than is actually present. This is opposite of what I see on BlackBerry, where the last half of the meter goes very quickly. When my Curves show a quarter charge, I know talk-time will be minimal & a battery change is imminent. With multiple batteries at my disposal, I cannot make it through a full day on any BlackBerry, but I can do two on the Saga with extended battery.

05-19-09 04:32 PM
    I purchased a Saga 2 months ago, and let me tell you this phone is very BUGGY!!!

At the end of the day, I agree with everyone else that you need to weigh all the options and choose the phone that is right for YOU.

However, I have experienced the exact same thing with Windows Mobile products, namely the 700wx ... ok, maybe not the best example of a good WinMo experience. But, it consistently got worse over time, and even after a hard re-set, it ran so slowly that when I started to receive a call, it would take so long for the "incoming call" screen to display that by the time I could answer the call, it had already been routed to voicemail. And this became a consistent problem. I upgraded to my 8830 and didn't go back ... but the upgrade was not easy because I was outside my window to return the phone, was 6 months away from an annual upgrade, and in-store testing showed the phone only dropped "2% of calls, and the phone would be considered problematic if it dropped more than 5%".

Needless to say, I have a bad taste for Windows Mobile, and I've experienced the same thing ... namely the phone got consistently worse as time went on.
    05-19-09 05:00 PM
    My previous device was the HTC T-Mobile Shadow with Windows Mobile. This would constantly freeze up, requiring that I often empty the browser memory or even pull the battery to reset.I then I had to wait for the phone to reboot. I have had the BB Curve for three weeks and have not had a single issue. I am amazed at the functionality of this device. There definitely was a learning curve, but after going through some of the 101 tutorials, things are going great. I think I am stuck on Blackberry!

Lets see, have you ever used a Windows Based PC? Ever had a problem like the thing FROZE all the time, or it never quite ran the way you wanted to or when you needed it most? Thats exactly what a Win-Mo phone will do.

The Blackberry on the other hand, its more like the Mac OS where it is very stable and none of those problems really occur. Also, on the BB you can do all software type troubleshooting on your own without having to replace the phone, not so much on a Win-Mo phone.

Thats my $.02
    05-19-09 05:37 PM
    Saga sounds like a deal go for it!
    05-19-09 09:38 PM
    My previous device was the HTC T-Mobile Shadow with Windows Mobile.
    Take T-Mobile out of that & you will find your problem. I haven't yet found an HTC phone worth anything more than a paperweight.

05-20-09 01:30 AM
    You make me sick just even thinking about a saga. if its not a blackberry, its not a phone.

05-20-09 01:35 AM
    You make me sick just even thinking about a saga. if its not a blackberry, its not a phone.
    I guess if one's definition of a phone is a device with a slow processor, tiny memory, mediocre voice quality, poor speakerphone and an insufficient browser, then I guess you might be correct.

05-20-09 02:32 AM
    I guess if one's definition of a phone is a device with a slow processor, tiny memory, mediocre voice quality, poor speakerphone and an insufficient browser, then I guess you might be correct.

this is why people are going to flame the heck out of you and in instances I have mentioned before..

If you come onto a blackberry website and bash the blackberry phone there going to roll on you

just letting you know.

we arent hear to talk about windows mobile or anything like it were here because we "like" blackberrys.
    05-20-09 03:33 AM
    Noaim think outside your small little sheltered box! Blackberry is NOT for EVERYONE! Some people like different things and might want something cheaper and that might work for THEM better! So next time you are trying to act like blackberry is a god and people without one suck please slam your head into a hard concrete wall.
    Last edited by thinkamp; 05-20-09 at 09:38 AM.
    05-20-09 09:36 AM
    this is why people are going to flame the heck out of you and in instances I have mentioned before.
    As if I don't get flamed already.

If you come onto a blackberry website and bash the blackberry phone there going to roll on you
    They're going to "roll on" me? As someone posted recently, many try, but get their lunch fed to them. I am a big (and old) boy - I believe I've proven myself to be thick-skinned & able to take care of myself.

This is a BlackBerry-centric site. It is not a BlackBerry only site. Hence the reason we have forums such as:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/
    -and-
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f21/

Plus, the forum admins have seen fit to do write-ups on devices like the Saga, Omnia, Pre & various HTC & Moto devices out on the portal page.

This forum is a carrier forum for Verizon Wireless - we talk all things VZW - including dumbphones, Verizon VoIP Hubs, Network Extenders, voicemail, vCast, WiFi, GPS and more. There are thousands of registered users who have non-RIM devices, who participate, but have no intention of ever owning a BlackBerry.

We also have a number of people who will blindly follow a brand, no matter what they offer or what their needs are. The BlackBerry community regularly slams iPhone/iPod devotees for their shortsightedness, yet is just as guilty as those Apple fans.

The BlackBerry community also proudly points out that the top three smartphones include Curve & Storm (along with iPhone). What they conveniently forget is all three of those are proprietary devices. You cannot get a Samsung running Apple or a Moto running BlackBerry. So the choices are limited for BlackBerry & iPhone fans. With all of the WinMo variants - it is an open-device platform - it isn't difficult to see why a WinMo phone isn't in the top 3.
    just letting you know.
    I have been "online" since 1979. Not much about Internet gang-bangers, emboldened solely by anonymity, that I don't already know.

we arent hear to talk about windows mobile or anything like it were here because we "like" blackberrys.
    Go back & read the OP. Tell me how WinMo & the Saga (or other devices) might be excluded.

Noaim think outside your small little sheltered box! Blackberry is NOT for EVERYONE! Some people like different things and might want something cheaper and that might work for THEM better! So next time you are trying to act like blackberry is a god and people without one suck please slam your head into a hard concrete wall.
    Thank you - it is nice to see not everyone goes around with blinders on - or as many like to overuse today, drank the Kool-Aid.

I drink Scotch whisky & iced tea. No Kool-Aid here.

I like to think that most people are interested in what is best for them as individuals and not as any mob or collective group. As an individual, you can make a difference & control your destiny. As a part of a group, you are a part of the collective & destined to follow; to be led around like bovine with a nose-ring.

If you love your BlackBerry, God bless you - your device does everything you want it to do. But don't sit there and claim it is the best or thw most capable at everything or anything, because there is always something that will be better or already is. If you want to defend RIM, please don't cry when they show you no loyalty.

Posted from a BlueBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 12:51 PM
    I believe that if you compare and contrast the two option you will make and intelligent decision in favor of the BB. I have had both and I feel the BB has much more to offer relative to security and practical use. I can make business transactions and personal stuff from one phone. The possibilities are endless (until they come out with a new BB of course).

I in turn challenge you to buy a WINMO phone and experience the limitations when you decide to hang with the big dogs come over to bb world. This is said in jest so don't take it personal!
    05-20-09 01:15 PM
    So i have had the samsung saga for a few months before going back to the blackberry curve. Both phones are really nice and have pros and cons in different areas. I personally have no loyals to either device.

The most import in web browsing. The saga kills it, surfing on the web was easy as pie to me. It came in crisp and clear, i only had issues with a few websites on the device. i used ingdirect.com for mobile devices and iw as able to store my information via the website so i can just logged in. and i was able to search via google or yahoo and look at many of the web results. to me the broswer on the curve is "ok" it does the basic.

Battery life in the saga SUCKS. tell you now the battery will be dead half way thru the day so get the extand battery and have a car/wall charger whereever you spend most your days at. battery on the curve i have gone 2 days without charging it sometimes. could never do that with the saga.

as for messageing, the threaded message on the saga is awesome, that is one thing i wish bb had. granted you can see the previous message someone sent, but you have to weed thru the sent/rec info. the threaded message says you and your message and them and they messages. i dont need to know what time the message came.

As one person stated the saga does have and issues with disconnection from the service. you will have to shut down the device to get it back on. maybe even a battery pull. it didnt happen to often with me, but it did happen

as for 3rd party apps i would say its half/half many websites offered many apps devices on the device and website. such as handango.com or mobihand.com

i think for a more social device the bb is a berry option, you have been chat programs for yahoo and aim and etc. have acces to facebook app and myspace. there is bb messenger which can be nice if used enough.

but ithink saga was a better device to keep track of life, better calender, i like that it had mobile office with word, excel, one note, and powerpoint. nice of if you a college student can sync over notes and papers and edit or review information.

All i can say is pinpoint your needs and what your looking for. and see what device match your needs.
    Last edited by BabyBear; 05-20-09 at 01:36 PM.
    05-20-09 01:28 PM
    Wow thats a little harsh. I've never seen Noaim act like blackberry is God and that he thinks that people without one suck. I agree with him this site is all about blackberrys and even tho this is a Verizon forum the majority come here because they have a blackberry with Verizon.

If somebody wants good sound advice on windows mobile there is lots of sites that specialize on windows mobile and know far more about the platform then most people on here.

The OP wanted the forum to sell him on the Curve so its natural that on a bb site we're going sing praises about bb.
    05-20-09 01:46 PM
    Wow thats a little harsh. I've never seen Noaim act like blackberry is God and that he thinks that people without one suck. I agree with him this site is all about blackberrys and even tho this is a Verizon forum the majority come here because they have a blackberry with Verizon.

If somebody wants good sound advice on windows mobile there is lots of sites that specialize on windows mobile and know far more about the platform then most people on here.

The OP wanted the forum to sell him on the Curve so its natural that on a bb site we're going sing praises about bb.
    I don't belive I was too harsh.

this is why people are going to flame the heck out of you and in instances I have mentioned before.. (that was rude and uncalled for)

If you come onto a blackberry website and bash the blackberry phone there going to roll on you (really? i have came onto this site saying I wanted to get a iphone and i wasn't bashed)

just letting you know.

we arent hear to talk about windows mobile or anything like it were here because we "like" blackberrys. (acting like blackberry is a god and everyone should know that)
    you can think whatever you want, but i stand by my post.
    05-20-09 02:59 PM
    So i have had the samsung saga for a few months before going back to the blackberry curve. Both phones are really nice and have pros and cons in different areas. I personally have no loyals to either device.

The most import in web browsing. The saga kills it, surfing on the web was easy as pie to me. It came in crisp and clear, i only had issues with a few websites on the device. i used ingdirect.com for mobile devices and iw as able to store my information via the website so i can just logged in. and i was able to search via google or yahoo and look at many of the web results. to me the broswer on the curve is "ok" it does the basic.

Battery life in the saga SUCKS. tell you now the battery will be dead half way thru the day so get the extand battery and have a car/wall charger whereever you spend most your days at. battery on the curve i have gone 2 days without charging it sometimes. could never do that with the saga.

as for messageing, the threaded message on the saga is awesome, that is one thing i wish bb had. granted you can see the previous message someone sent, but you have to weed thru the sent/rec info. the threaded message says you and your message and them and they messages. i dont need to know what time the message came.

As one person stated the saga does have and issues with disconnection from the service. you will have to shut down the device to get it back on. maybe even a battery pull. it didnt happen to often with me, but it did happen

as for 3rd party apps i would say its half/half many websites offered many apps devices on the device and website. such as handango.com or mobihand.com

i think for a more social device the bb is a berry option, you have been chat programs for yahoo and aim and etc. have acces to facebook app and myspace. there is bb messenger which can be nice if used enough.

but ithink saga was a better device to keep track of life, better calender, i like that it had mobile office with word, excel, one note, and powerpoint. nice of if you a college student can sync over notes and papers and edit or review information.

All i can say is pinpoint your needs and what your looking for. and see what device match your needs.
    3cheers4u! That is how the young texters would say it, isn't it? Nicely said. I have had some playtime with the Saga. And I will say that without a doubt, it is better than any current BB. The upcoming Niagara may be playing catchup even. I don't know where Dad is coming from with the battery life but I do know it is not as good as a BB. I think it has a lot to do with the much more potent processor and wifi though. If that were the only issue, I could get around it because the Saga does so many other things so much better than BB. I keep charging cradles for my phones and have them in many places, like the car, work, by the computers and in the bedroom. So it isn't that big a deal. It is a much better business phone than the Storm and a far more capable phone than the Curve. This thing even makes the Bold an irritation, especially in web browsing.

So why don't I run out and buy one? Because I hear an even better one is coming right about the time I am due for an upgrade. So there is a little time left before I kiss BB goodbye, but in the meantime I am tired of the browser excuses, the batt pulls and the very limited apps available for BB. Rim makes some solid phones but they are not leading the way and are kind of old tech.

For the guy who made the comparo about winmo being like a windows computer with crashes, when was the last time you had a pc that crashed regularly? You still running win95 or are you infected with virus and mallware issues? I restart my win machines once a month for the fun of it and out of old habit if your win machine crashes maybe you need to look for a loose nut on the keyboard? And your comparo that BB was like Mac? What is the. iphone? BB is more like IBM's OS/2 Warp which was surpassed by nearly everything (even nintendo) a long time ago. The ipod touch is more capable than a Bold.

I don't hate BB but get real. When horsepower and real browsing is important you leave the BB at home. Unless something changes, this will be my last BB and from chatting with friends, they have mostly already happily moved on or are planning to.
    05-20-09 03:39 PM
    how about an i phone if you dont like the curve.
    05-20-09 03:46 PM
    I don't know where Dad is coming from with the battery life but I do know it is not as good as a BB.
    WiFi off. Optimized config. What I've been doing lately is the majority of my phone online access is via Samsung & messaging and such is still on BlackBerry. Outbound calls on Samsung (what a difference in sound) and inbound still BlackBerry.

The processor is much more potent. When they are more powerful, there are more cycles. More cycles means more power.

Take today's LiIon cells & run an old monochrome Palm Pilot - you'll see weeks of battery life. If you dont want batteries being drained, grab the slowest processor with the biggest battery you can get.

05-20-09 04:13 PM

I have no idea where you came up with this.. Did I ever say that anyone without a blackberry sucks do I suggest a blackberry to everyone NO

I have suggested the palm pre to my sister...

I think you need to crawl out of your shell and realize that your direct attacks does not enlarge your e-peen thanks.
    05-20-09 04:25 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD