Hi, not being snarky, really, but I am curious. I have been watching the new phones because I am a couple of months out of contract and will need a new phone soon. I live in a rural Vzn area and we will not get their new LTE here till sometime in 2015 (according to them). If we will not have the new network is there any value in buying a phone with these capapbilities right now? Seriously I want a phone that has decent web browsing and holds my schedule and gives me the ability to get my emails. Not a fan of touchscreens (love my keyboard) and I don't play games on my phone. If I go to the verizon store they cram Droids down my throat, but I am not sure that I need to worry about these new phones that will support LTE or have dual cores. They sound very cool, but without the supporting network does it matter anyway?
    01-14-11 02:02 PM
    Your analysis is correct. There is no reason to buy something that you pay extra for and can't use to its potential until it is a year or more obselete. I'm not even a Verizon customer and when I browse by their sales points they hype Droid. Unless you're engaged with the latest geekasm, get what works fot you and don't worry about moving with the mob.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 02:38 PM
    The LTE won't be of any use to you until Verizon gets the towers up there. Try not to let that be the deciding factor on your upgrade though. Get a device that serves your needs first and foremost - and if its LTE capabe that could be a plus for you when they convert. The bottom line is to be happy with the way your smartphone/ device works....right
    howarmat likes this.
    01-14-11 02:41 PM
    Does if you travel - if not, then there is no reason
    01-14-11 02:52 PM
    Your analysis is correct. There is no reason to buy something that you pay extra for and can't use to its potential until it is a year or more obselete. I'm not even a Verizon customer and when I browse by their sales points they hype Droid. Unless you're engaged with the latest geekasm, get what works fot you and don't worry about moving with the mob.

+1 agree with Bk here.
    As for upgrading, I don't know what device you have, I'm on wap & can't see, but the Bold 9650 is a great device, unless your waiting to see if any newer bb's come out for VzW. Just my .02 cents

01-14-11 02:55 PM
    P1nk, I already have the 9650 lol and while its working pretty good right now, it is having some issues.
    I always try to find the best phone for my needs no matter who makes them, but I was having trouble with deciding if the LTE feature also meant better browser (even in 3g) or if the dual core helped some sluggish factors. My needs are small, but I would like those needs optimized as best as they can be and didn't know how much effect the LTE phones would impact regular features if still on 3g service. Lots of new and better phones coming on the market all the time, but trying to figure out if new is always better in my case. lol
    01-14-11 04:41 PM
    I live in a rural Vzn area and we will not get their new LTE here till sometime in 2015 (according to them). If we will not have the new network is there any value in buying a phone with these capapbilities right now?
    First of all, where do you live?? The information you received is somewhat surprising, as Verizon has said that they will cover their entire 3G footprint by 2013. Do you currently have 3G now, or just 1X? If you have 3G now, you'll have LTE by 2013, otherwise that 2015 quote may be accurate.

Now, say you're in 3G now and you will get LTE by 2013 (even if it's December 2012). If you upgrade now to an LTE device, you might be able to use LTE for a time, or you may barely get to use it before you get another upgrade. It all depends on what you want to do. I'd say, when your upgrade comes, investigate and see what's out there, compare prices and plans, and then do what makes most sense to you.
    01-14-11 05:21 PM
    First of all, where do you live?? The information you received is somewhat surprising, as Verizon has said that they will cover their entire 3G footprint by 2013. Do you currently have 3G now, or just 1X? If you have 3G now, you'll have LTE by 2013, otherwise that 2015 quote may be accurate.

Now, say you're in 3G now and you will get LTE by 2013 (even if it's December 2012). If you upgrade now to an LTE device, you might be able to use LTE for a time, or you may barely get to use it before you get another upgrade. It all depends on what you want to do. I'd say, when your upgrade comes, investigate and see what's out there, compare prices and plans, and then do what makes most sense to you.
    I live in rural northern nv. Yes I get 3G according to my phone, but even the news has said that the rural areas are not expected to get LTE until 2015. I do plan to get the best phone available (at the time lol) when I upgrade, but with all this talk of LTE and QNX and dual core phones, I was curious if any of those things will have any beneficial impact on my usage. I don't plan on upgrading for a couple of months yet, mostly because there just isn't anything out there that screams "buy me" or is better than my current bold. I tend to think about a phone change for as long as 6 mos before I buy to see how they act in the wild. Learning about how these changes really effect what I can do with my phone is part of my research process, much like when wifi came out. (very little wifi in my area so this isn't a must have feature). I travel maybe once a year so that isn't a factor either.
    01-14-11 09:02 PM
    NO, it won't matter unless you are traveling to areas that have 4G LTE...but you can have a cool looking phone...that's about it.
    01-14-11 10:35 PM
    NO, it won't matter unless you are traveling to areas that have 4G LTE...but you can have a cool looking phone...that's about it.
    A cool phone that cannot justify its uncool price.
    01-14-11 11:03 PM
    A cool phone that cannot justify its uncool price.
    What are the prices?
    01-15-11 12:06 AM
    I live in rural northern nv. Yes I get 3G according to my phone, but even the news has said that the rural areas are not expected to get LTE until 2015.
    Well, first I mis-typed. Verizon says it will cover it's entire 3G footprint with LTE by the end of 2013, not by 2013. But, if you have Verizon 3G now, you should have LTE by 12/31/2013 (regardless of the news, this is according to Verizon). You can see it here on their 4G website:

4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless

In any event, I think you should wait until your upgrade is available, and determine whether you want to wait or upgrade immediately. If nothing grabs your attention when your upgrade is available, then wait. If something does, then get it.
    01-15-11 01:00 AM
    I am already out of contract and can upgrade any time, I figured i would hold out til June or so to see what pops up. I just didn't want to be swayed by a phone that had capabilities that wouldn't do me any good anyway. I hope we do get LTE by 2013 but I'm not counting on it, we only got 3G in the last year or so. We have issues here with old copper mines and mountains making it difficult for towers to reach us. The only option here is verizon, but it could be worse. lol
    01-15-11 01:21 AM
    I am already out of contract and can upgrade any time, I figured i would hold out til June or so to see what pops up. I just didn't want to be swayed by a phone that had capabilities that wouldn't do me any good anyway. I hope we do get LTE by 2013 but I'm not counting on it, we only got 3G in the last year or so. We have issues here with old copper mines and mountains making it difficult for towers to reach us. The only option here is verizon, but it could be worse. lol
    And let's not forget the sheer joy of paying a surcharge for a service you can't use. Spoke with a contact a couple of weeks ago that is on T-Mo. Sales guy was good when he signed her up for '4G' service on her unlocked BlackBerry. Now the real thrill is she asks for help, because her browser is running terribly slow, and she's paying for a premium service.

The problem wasn't hard to figure out. She was using an unlocked Tour, which conveniently enough doesn't get 3G when unlocked in the US, much less the vaunted 4G service she was paying for.

So, it pays to ask questions when you don't know what the skinny is. I travel cross-country, and I go to areas that have 4G. My 3G service is adequate for now, so 4G can wait.

01-15-11 03:18 AM
    And let's not forget the sheer joy of paying a surcharge for a service you can't use. Spoke with a contact a couple of weeks ago that is on T-Mo. Sales guy was good when he signed her up for '4G' service on her unlocked BlackBerry. Now the real thrill is she asks for help, because her browser is running terribly slow, and she's paying for a premium service.
    I love these scary stories. T-Mobile doesn't charge any extra for access to its HSPA+ network (the one they're calling 4G). So she may have thought she was paying extra for "4G", but she's not. Same price as if she got an EDGE-only BB from T-Mobile.

The only network (so far) that charges extra to reach its 4G network is Sprint, and they claim it's not a 4G charge, anyway.

There's no reason to assume Verizon will charge more for 4G access. First of all, we don't know any pricing except that for 4G modems. Second, they made access CHEAPER than it was for accessing the 3G network (by $10/month) on the mobile broadband plan.
    01-15-11 07:33 AM
    What are the prices?
    The R2D2 Droid2 and DroidPro were 250 out of the gate for nothing special. It only make sense that LTE phones would START at 250 and only go up in price.
    01-15-11 09:28 AM
    The R2D2 Droid2 and DroidPro were 250 out of the gate for nothing special. It only make sense that LTE phones would START at 250 and only go up in price.
    Oh...so you're just guessing.

01-15-11 11:06 AM
    Oh...so you're just guessing.

It's called an EDUCATED guess. Go and learn what that meaneth.
    01-15-11 08:09 PM
    It's called an EDUCATED guess. Go and learn what that meaneth.
    Educated or not, its a guess. So I would be right. Don't be hurt just because you don't KNOW and can only guess. Everyones guessing at this point.

And I don't have to go learn anything, I never accused you of being educated.

01-15-11 11:32 PM
    Ok, we'll see.
    01-15-11 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD