What would it be!??

Hello, its been a while since I've been on this site but I'm 2 years into my storm 9530 and still rock'n it out like no other. I have a choice to make, its time, time for another phone and I want peoples help on this before I make a mistake. Everyone here has always been of great help before.

The story (short but bearable) - like most big red customers I'm eligible for the "free" upgrade to a new phone of my choice provided by Verizon. I love my S1, aside from the semi-frequent sluggishness of running multiple apps at once, no wifi, limited app selection and the obvious leap in technologies that all the new smartphones have. I absolutely love the surepress screen, that was one of many features that sold me on the 95xxs. I know a lot of people don't like it but I have big thumbs, and to hover over a key and execute by pressing the screen is big deal for me. This is the first smartphone I've every owned, first texting phone in fact so I mostly use the horizontal keyboard for typing emails, sms, mms ect.

I've prematurely pre-ordered a HTC Incredible, ship date "scheduled" for 7/12, the bill will hit my account on the 13th so I can still cancel the order and change my mind. I've read all about the grounding issues with the HTC, some build quality issues and quirks here and there, some to be expected but some unfortunately cannot simply be fixed with a software update, hardware failure = new phone, visits to Verizon ect. I've also read that Verizon is announcing 2 new Droid phones on the 23rd, and I also see here that RIM may or may not be coming out with a S3 slider/non-slider.

SO - what shall I do? I want a new phone, its time and the simple fact that it will not cost me a dime (I have a $100 credit on my account to cover the smartphone difference).

Things I use on my current phone and WANT to use on my next (in order of importance) -

Navigation - Google Maps is my primary NAV app and I love it
    Media - *Music*Pictures*Videos - I don't own a digi camera or MP3 player since my storm does all of that for me, at a slightly lower quality
    Emails, Communications - I primarily use my phone to stay in contact with all my family spread across the U.S. vs. a computer email client.
    UP-TO-DATE Accurate Weather info - Primary mode of transportation is a motorcycle, so I have to dodge storms left and right, weather helps tremendously.
    Productivity - I work in graphic arts and my work demands programs that can at least view a variety of different files types. This may fall under apps but some phones seem to accept better apps for this task.
    Browsing - I use Opera Mini, I love the option of getting on the net (fast I mind you) whenever I'm not around a PC.
    Games - I honestly could do without, I would love a phone that could handle a large game, just because it can, so I know it wont bog down on other less graphically challenged tasks.

Hardware - I love the build quality of my storm, I know motorola makes decent phones, I'm not sure of HTC, only can read things online.
    Moving Parts - I can live without, a good solid phone would be my 1st choice, primary reason I didn't jump on board with the Droid ( although if BB holds there quality and the S3 does have a slide out keyboard I may be able to adapt )

I know this is a lot, and yes it is my decision but I know many people out there have experienced many many other high performing phones that I have only read about. I am staying with Verizon, so no EVOs or iphones please, I just don't like them and At&t doesn't agree to my stomach - I prefer signal thank you very much and V has NEVER failed me.

I am still awaiting what Verizon has to say on the 23rd about the 2 motorola phones coming out - basically its this, stick with my choice, HTC, wait for one of the new Droids, or wait longer for what "may" be a Storm 3 - I've been patient long enought.

Thank you very much in advance and taking time to read this book of decision!
    06-18-10 01:09 PM
    If you are not sold to Blackberry and want an android phone wait for the Droid X.
    06-18-10 04:15 PM
    What would it be!??
    The Motorola Droid X
    06-18-10 04:17 PM
    right now... HTC Incredible. if you can wait a couple months, Motorola Droid X. BB is seriously playing catch up to Android right now. other than e-mail superiority, BBs cannot compare to the Android operating system. while i like my 9550, RIM has definitely lost me as a customer unless they can SERIOUSLY up the ante on their VZW offerings before my next upgrade.
    06-18-10 04:20 PM
    I went from the Storm to the Incredible and I really like it. I did have to get the Seidio battery and it can be difficult to see outside unless the brightness is at 100%. If the Moto X does better in those two departments, it will be hard to beat.

I still like the Incredible though and am not sure I would like the bigger size. But I've never seen an X
    06-18-10 04:39 PM
    Big thumbs? Take a look at the X. Huge screen, and a nice big keyboard.

Exclusive: Motorola Droid X preview -- Engadget
    06-18-10 05:14 PM
    Actually Motorola touchscreens don't seem as good as HTC. I seriously tried a Motorola next to the Droid (the one slightly thinner and is silver) and typing on that screen was a PITA. Then I tried the Droid Eris and was impressed how easy it was to type on that screen. All I can say is unless you don't mind a crappy touchscreen for typing or a sorta wonky keyboard...you know where I'm going. Also I would say Swype on any Android phone is amazing. I tried it on my old HTC Touch Diamond and man was it nice after getting used to it.
    06-18-10 09:36 PM
    Thank you for all the replies - yeah, I really am interested in the X's specs just to compare them to the INC. Everytime I went to Verizon they had a INC on the floor, apparently I had to get there early before everyone trashed it because it was always torn up. BUT I did get a tip one morning when a Rep called me letting me know that they had a new one out for play. It was real nice, I do understand the battery issue, I've also seen the spreadsheet that states it could be discontinued and the numerous videos of the grounding issue (which in return I read post where most people we NOT having that same problem), as long as the hardware will hold up on the INC I'm fine with it, just this grounding issue, power buttons getting stuck, ect. really gets me thinking, I've always seen HTC in Verizon's stores but I have no clue on the build quality. My storm has been through a lot, and in fact I don't NEED another phone right now, it would just be nice, shinny, new, different - you know, the american dream to conquest the best of the best, under reason

Thanks for all the input, more is mostly appreciated! Even from Moto Droid users. I don't like the keyboard, but at the same time I've heard there built like a tank. And with the simple picture on Verizons page I can't tell much about the X, just that its slightly larger and coming soon...

Again thanks! more post please!
    06-19-10 06:05 AM
    HTC is hit or miss with build quality I've found but if you get a good one hold on to it. But as far as touch screen quality, it's immensely better.
    06-19-10 01:30 PM
    The discontinuation is for the old SKU, a newer one is out now. The Incredible itself is going nowhere anytime soon. I would say to get the Droid X. It's like the Incredible, only, more incredible!
    06-20-10 08:03 PM
    I picked incredible over blackberry.Still got berry but incredible will be here either end of this week or begining of next the wait is almost over for me.

I didnt like motoblur on the motorola X or the fact its almost like carrying a netbook as a phone around , lol
    06-21-10 05:06 AM
    @labeledbass

In the order or importance that you posted I recomment a BB 9650.

Navigation - great TurnByTurn Navigation (TeleNav for example)
    Media - Radio streaming, or Itunes synch, or just mp3 from micro sd
    Emails, Communications - say what? This is a BB - Nr.1 mobile cummunication device
    UP-TO-DATE Accurate Weather info - BeWeather for multiple locations
    Productivity - Docs2Go
    Browsing - the only down side of a BB in comparison to Droids
    Games - no comment
    Hardware - solid build quality
    Moving Parts - no moving parts

512 MB ram, likely to be able to run OS 6.0, solid phone, full keyboard, does everything you want. 9650 is my advice.
    Last edited by iBerry Lifestyle; 07-24-10 at 02:32 PM.
    07-21-10 10:39 AM
    Wait for the Droid 2 coming out in August. Smaller that the X and running the same and Froyo 2.2 stock. And for all you Star Wars fans, there will be one that has a graphic of R2D2 on it. Droid 2 = D2
    07-21-10 11:34 AM
    at this moment i would say the Moto Droid 2. In terms of speculation and pipeline dreams, either the Iphone or the Blackberry Slider would be nice. The latter more than the former. :P
    07-22-10 11:49 AM
    You've got to choose a product that fits your needs. Personally, I do not need or want a DroidToy. I want the best communication device that VZW has to offer for email, texts, and phone calls. The browser is adequate. Throw on a few apps for news, weather and stock quotes, a calendar theme and I am there. Make mine a Bold 9650 and give me OS6.
    07-22-10 04:31 PM
    Already got it, my bold is the best verizon phone I've had yet. My former best was my TP2. My bold replaced that and is #1 best verizon phone.
    07-23-10 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD