A few months ago I downgraded to save the 30 on the data plan
    shortly after VZ changed plans that require for multimedia phones to pay at least 10 or 30 to use (al a carte). The point of downgrading was not to pay that...if that was the case I would have just new every 2d a new smartphone...now it costs the same.
    I have been grandfathered until next year on the old plan, so I'm not paying extra right now for email or data on my non-smart phone but my wife and I will have to pay an extra 60 a month next year to keep a similar plan.

It's pointless to pay the same for an inferior phone. I do not have my pearl anymore and am not due for an upgrade until next year...is it possible to pay the 150 to cancel my contract and sign a new phone contract for 200 or whatever instead of buying a smart phone at retail price? I realize the answer is probably not (VZ probably has that covered), so how long do I have to wait?
    Any suggestions would be helpful. I've considered dropping and going to someone else, but wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I guess I'm really frustrated they keep changing everything and it sucks when after you commit to something they almost immediately change it to screw you into a phone you didn't really want anyway and would have rather kept paying the 30 a month for a smart phone, not my dumb phone. Sorry for the rant...just irritated.
    05-18-10 07:30 PM
    you can't cancel out your contract and then resign on the same carrier. I have known sales reps when I sold try to do this so they could get full credit on a "new activation"and it isn't right. And besides that, the carrier will know.....

on Verizon you can change your plan at any time without having to sign for an extra yr like it used to be. I also agree.....they are making it difficult for customers now the new contracts do require a data plan on certain phones.

But data on BB has always been around.
    05-18-10 09:43 PM
    You can add a new line and cancel yours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 09:45 PM
    You can add a new line and cancel yours.

So in theory someone could add a new line when the 9650 comes out and then cancel their original phone?
    05-19-10 09:57 AM
    Wouldn't they still be on the hook for the ETF if they did it that way?

If you have been a VZW customer for a while they might let you upgrade your phone after one year for the 2 year price (possibly + $20). They let me do that when my year was up when I went from my 8330 to my current Tour. Might be an option to look into you have to sign a new 2 year contract though...

05-22-10 08:36 AM
    Mario is right on. You can add a line and return around and cancel your original line. You will lose your number, but oh well. You can also port your number to Sprint and use them for their trial period...which is 30 days. If you don't like them than they will allow you to cancel with no ETF and they will even refund you the cost of your service you used. Than port back to Verizon and sign a new agreement. I tried out the Pre on Sprint and ended up comeback to Verizon. They credited me back the ETF I paid as a winback, and both my the wife and I got new phones at upgrade pricing. It is a HUGE hassle.

05-22-10 10:37 AM
    Wouldn't they still be on the hook for the ETF if they did it that way?

If you have been a VZW customer for a while they might let you upgrade your phone after one year for the 2 year price (possibly + $20). They let me do that when my year was up when I went from my 8330 to my current Tour. Might be an option to look into you have to sign a new 2 year contract though...

That depends on your pricing plan. If you are on an individual plan it has to be over 59.99 family plans are 79.99 or something like that. You can't have just the basic plan. Added features don't count either like data.

05-22-10 10:39 AM
    Yeah...the option they gave me...

Add new line at additional 10. Plus have to pay at least 10 to keep old phone on to pay for the limited data. Also have to change contract and add additional 10-30 for my wife's (line 2) multimedia phone. Plus the additional 30 for the smart phone. They said I could move smart phone to primary line and use my old number which would be awesome, but still end up paying for the third line (20 bucks with old phone) and not use it ever. So, 30 data plan plus 10 for extra line plus 10-30 for my wife to use her phone.....don't know if it's worth potentially 70 more dollars a month. Sucks.
    05-24-10 09:34 PM
    you can't cancel out your contract and then resign on the same carrier. I have known sales reps when I sold try to do this so they could get full credit on a "new activation"and it isn't right. And besides that, the carrier will know.....

on Verizon you can change your plan at any time without having to sign for an extra yr like it used to be. I also agree.....they are making it difficult for customers now the new contracts do require a data plan on certain phones.

But data on BB has always been around.
    Actually, you can. You just have to pay the etf. You can start with a brand new acct.
    05-25-10 02:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD