I am on my parents Family plan, they have 4 numbers under the plan.

My mother would like to cancel her family plan. I am 22 years old, I went under her plan because it was cheaper for me. If I wanted, could I "cancel" under her plan, but port my number into a NEW verizon account without her having to pay cancelation fees? If I am basically porting my number over to verizon, but just a new account (I want to use my upgrade for the droid, but she will not upgrade.)

IF NOT, what will happen if we keep the family account, but everyone else is cancelled but one line? or is it once one line is cancelled, the plan is over?

Thanks
    12-01-09 12:53 AM
    You can move your line out of your mom's plan at any time. She can call cust serv (800-922-0204) or go in a store to legally release your number. You would then fill out an app and move your number to your own account. It's called an AOL in vzw lingo .. an assumption of libility. There would be no penalty to your mom.

Do your upgrade first, then the aol.

fyi .. you could have a security deposit to pay to open your own account
    12-01-09 02:24 AM
    sorry forgot 2nd part ..

if just one person is left, that person would go on a single plan rather than a family. Your mom would do an aol to that person if she didn't want to be responsible for the account.
    12-01-09 02:29 AM
    So I can use my upgrade now and if no one else upgrades I will be able to switch to a new line

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 10:42 AM
    It doesn't matter what the others on the family plan do. It doesn't effect your ability to move your line or not.

You aren't switching to a new line ... just taking your line to a new account.

Think of it like this .. you have a group of lines bundled into a family plan to save money. Each individual line still has its own contract and upgrade dates independent of the rest. A line can pull away from the family group at any time with the head of the family plan's permission.
    12-01-09 07:12 PM
    You can move your line out of your mom's plan at any time. She can call cust serv (800-922-0204) or go in a store to legally release your number. You would then fill out an app and move your number to your own account. It's called an AOL in vzw lingo .. an assumption of libility. There would be no penalty to your mom.

Do your upgrade first, then the aol.

fyi .. you could have a security deposit to pay to open your own account
    Yes do your upgrade first since I believe once u move out on your own plan u are starting a two year agreement with VZW and would have to wait 2 years for a phone upgrade. That's what happen to a friend of mine. She did not upgrade and was eligible, moved out of the family plan and she was stuck for two years before she could upgrade. Of course this is assuming your line is currently eligible for an upgrade.

12-03-09 02:21 AM
    Yes do your upgrade first since I believe once u move out on your own plan u are starting a two year agreement with VZW and would have to wait 2 years for a phone upgrade. That's what happen to a friend of mine. She did not upgrade and was eligible, moved out of the family plan and she was stuck for two years before she could upgrade. Of course this is assuming your line is currently eligible for an upgrade.

That's incorrect. The original upgrade date stays intact. That's what a VZW rep told me.

12-04-09 02:25 AM

this is correct, i didnt know this either and lost all 5 upgrades on my family share lines when i switched them from my brothers name to mine..
    12-04-09 02:37 AM
    this is correct, i didnt know this either and lost all 5 upgrades on my family share lines when i switched them from my brothers name to mine..
    It actually isn't correct, our system would show that you are not eligible for the upgrade, however if you do the proper research on the account you can find that the phones are still able to upgrade. It can be done, but the person you talking with would have to go in and find the original purchase on the original account that was closed.
    12-04-09 01:49 PM
    It actually isn't correct, our system would show that you are not eligible for the upgrade, however if you do the proper research on the account you can find that the phones are still able to upgrade. It can be done, but the person you talking with would have to go in and find the original purchase on the original account that was closed.
    So my friend and molands72 above can go back to the store and force them to give the upgrades? If so, what is the best approach to explaining this to a corp. Store rep?

12-05-09 02:55 AM
    So my friend and molands72 above can go back to the store and force them to give the upgrades? If so, what is the best approach to explaining this to a corp. Store rep?

yes please... what can be done
    12-06-09 01:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD