...Sim free from eBay or something, could I simply use it by taking out the sim card from my existing BlackBerry Pearl on Verizon, with the existing plan? And use all the services I currently have, for example, the unlimited data plan etc. on the new Blackberry? - Rather than taking out a whole new plan? Or are there some sort of restrictions...

I am new here, so I do apologize if my question sounds silly to the more experienced users on here. Thanks
    02-27-08 12:59 AM
    verizon doesnt use SIM cards so it will not work
    02-27-08 01:05 AM
    Damn....I never realized my phone doesn't have a sim card. So the only way to get it would be to buy another plan...?
    02-27-08 01:47 AM
    Sprint, Verizon, and a few others use the CDMA telephony standards/frequencies and don't use SIM cards. T-mobile, Cingular/AT&T and others use the GSM telephony standards/frequencies (tri-band, quad-band) along with SIM cards.

Even if you have two phones that use SIM cards, you can't just drop a T-mobile SIM card in a Cingular phone, for example, unless the phone is "unlocked" and will work with any carrier's SIM card. Otherwise, it will only work with Cingular SIM cards.

I'm still learning about this myself, but apparently that is the difference between a locked phone and an unlocked phone. I just bought a Motorola V3 RAZR for my son that is a t-mobile phone. I'm pretty sure it is locked, meaning another t-mobile user could drop their SIM card into it and it would work, but a non t-mobile customer would not be able to use their SIM card.

You CDMA, GSM, and SIM card users out there can chip in if I am all wet with my explanations.
    Last edited by NevadaDad; 02-27-08 at 01:58 AM.
    02-27-08 01:54 AM
    Sanu,

I think what this means is that unless you are on a pay-as-you-go plan or month-to-month with Verizon and can cancel it without any penalties, you will have to make sure that the 9000-series BB you choose uses the CDMA telephony standard found in all Sprint/Nextel and Verizon phones so you can just continue on with your Verizon plan.

If you buy a GSM BB that will typically work with t-mobile, Cingular, AT&T, etc. it will not work with the Verizon network.

Lots of rakes to step on when you buy phones on eBay. Locked vs. unlocked. CDMA versus GSM. etc. It is a little more complicated than just simply picking the model you want. For example, my son liked the LG Chocolate, but it is a CDMA phone and not available in a GSM-network version needed for compatibility with t-mobile.
    Last edited by NevadaDad; 02-27-08 at 02:06 AM.
    02-27-08 02:03 AM
    Not to take this off track but... Sanu did you hear something that the rest of us don't know? The 9000? I don't think there has been any talk about when any carrier is going to get this model. And with Verizon, since we are still waiting on the Curve, it could be years before we see the 9000! And by then who knows, all carriers could be on GSM and using sim cards.
    02-27-08 06:50 AM
    You can swap phones on a CDMA carrier network as well. It just can't be done as simply as swapping SIMs in and out. If you log into your Verizon account online you can go to switch phones and put in the new ESN number of the new phone you want to use. Assuming the phone is not stolen, it'll let you register it on the network. Then all you do is dial *22899 and wait for it to get programmed. The process takes at most 5 minutes to do. Then the new phone will be on your existing account. No changes or renews of the account are necessary. However, if you're switching Blackberries you'll also have to go into the BIS site and switch ESN and IMEI there too. One extra step, but nothing difficult to do. It's just part of the process. By 2010 Verizon and other CDMA carriers will be on SIM based 4G technology, so it'll be as easy to swap as current GSM phones.
    02-27-08 10:15 AM
    Sanu,

I think what this means is that unless you are on a pay-as-you-go plan or month-to-month with Verizon and can cancel it without any penalties, you will have to make sure that the 9000-series BB you choose uses the CDMA telephony standard found in all Sprint/Nextel and Verizon phones so you can just continue on with your Verizon plan.

If you buy a GSM BB that will typically work with t-mobile, Cingular, AT&T, etc. it will not work with the Verizon network.

Lots of rakes to step on when you buy phones on eBay. Locked vs. unlocked. CDMA versus GSM. etc. It is a little more complicated than just simply picking the model you want. For example, my son liked the LG Chocolate, but it is a CDMA phone and not available in a GSM-network version needed for compatibility with t-mobile.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I understand now, the thing is, I have just moved from the UK to the USA. Over there, we use sim cards only! So it is usually just a matter of swapping sims over if you want to use a new phone, and if the phone won't allow it, then get it unlocked. I was totally oblivious to this whole CDMA thing.

So I guess it would be quite difficult to change BlackBerries on the same plan, without purchasing a new one, which was my initial query...But yeah thank you for your help
    02-27-08 04:55 PM
    Not to take this off track but... Sanu did you hear something that the rest of us don't know? The 9000? I don't think there has been any talk about when any carrier is going to get this model. And with Verizon, since we are still waiting on the Curve, it could be years before we see the 9000! And by then who knows, all carriers could be on GSM and using sim cards.
    I was using the 9000 as an example, if I wanted a new BlackBerry, how I would go about using it on my existing plan... Even the Curve for that matter.
    02-27-08 04:56 PM
    You can swap phones on a CDMA carrier network as well. It just can't be done as simply as swapping SIMs in and out. If you log into your Verizon account online you can go to switch phones and put in the new ESN number of the new phone you want to use. Assuming the phone is not stolen, it'll let you register it on the network. Then all you do is dial *22899 and wait for it to get programmed. The process takes at most 5 minutes to do. Then the new phone will be on your existing account. No changes or renews of the account are necessary. However, if you're switching Blackberries you'll also have to go into the BIS site and switch ESN and IMEI there too. One extra step, but nothing difficult to do. It's just part of the process. By 2010 Verizon and other CDMA carriers will be on SIM based 4G technology, so it'll be as easy to swap as current GSM phones.

Nice, excellent information! I didn't know you could do that. Thank you very much, this is what I needed to know, now if I change BlackBerries it looks like it won't be impossible after all. Thanks
    02-27-08 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD