05-07-10 01:54 PM
26 12
tools
    About a year ago my girlfriend and I got blackberries. While I love mine she is partial on it. She isn't very tech savy and really doesn't want to learn how to use it or for that matter use the 30$ worth a month.
    I was just wondering, will we be able to transfer her service to her old phone, (Still on VZW) and not have to pay a cancellation fee of any sort for the data plan?
    Or is she required to keep it for a specific amount of time?
    05-05-10 04:33 PM
    I'm pretty sure that if you signed a two year commitment and bought the phones at a discounted price, then you agreed to keep the phones activated with data for the two years. There will be an early termination fee on the existing contract(s).
    05-05-10 05:08 PM
    You can switch back to a dumb phone and drop the BlackBerry data plan that was required for it.

If she had the BlackBerry for less than 30 days you can just return the phone and reset her eligibility.

The ETF only applies when you cancel service (if you cancel your actual lines, having no phones on it).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 05:17 PM
    You can switch back to a dumb phone and drop the BlackBerry data plan that was required for it.

If she had the BlackBerry for less than 30 days you can just return the phone and reset her eligibility.

The ETF only applies when you cancel service (if you cancel your actual lines, having no phones on it).

He said he bought it a year ago

About a year ago my girlfriend and I got blackberries. While I love mine she is partial on it. She isn't very tech savy and really doesn't want to learn how to use it or for that matter use the 30$ worth a month.
    I was just wondering, will we be able to transfer her service to her old phone, (Still on VZW) and not have to pay a cancellation fee of any sort for the data plan?
    Or is she required to keep it for a specific amount of time?
    Yes you can activate another phone on her line and drop the BB plan. Just be mindful of the phone you do add because there are some non-smartphones that require data plans also.
    05-05-10 05:20 PM
    Yes, i missed the year part.

i am not liking that the so called 3G phones are now requiring a $9.99 (or other) data plan. i can see how it could be a benefit if the customer got a phone and used data without realizing it and got charged. And it benefits VZW because they don't have to issue credits and it means more revenue per line.

However, it shouldn't be up to the company to force a data plan to try to protect the customer from their lack of understanding what they're doing. Are the democrats running VZW now? Ha

i want to upgrade my hubby to an enV with qwerty and block internet since he doesn't use it. But can't do. This is no good.

05-05-10 05:28 PM
    to the OP, I'm wondering if you'll be able to drop and go to a dumby phone given that (and I'm willing to bet here) you were put on a 2 year contract. They can turn around and say your commitment to that data intensive berry is 2 years hense a 2 year commitment to $29.99. You said you got the devices about a year ago so for me, it sounds like something that can be worked out in your favor but just be prepared if they say no because of that 2 year commitment. If you signed a 1 year, then you're free and clear. But I don't work for Verizon so I do not know for sure.

Try switching it online first and see if it autocorrects the plan to fit the new dumb phone
    05-06-10 08:13 AM
    In the current economy, in my opinion, folks should be able to drop the data plan ($30/month or $360/year) but still be able to use the phone they already own so they don't have the expense of a new phone. In some cases, there could be economic necessity for being able to live a bit cheaper each month. Yes, a contract is a contract but there are always exceptions when circumstances are appropriate for give and take. I'm not saying that is the case in this situation but it is something to consider.
    05-06-10 09:36 AM
    In the current economy, in my opinion, folks should be able to drop the data plan ($30/month or $360/year) but still be able to use the phone they already own so they don't have the expense of a new phone. In some cases, there could be economic necessity for being able to live a bit cheaper each month. Yes, a contract is a contract but there are always exceptions when circumstances are appropriate for give and take. I'm not saying that is the case in this situation but it is something to consider.
    With the current economy I want my auto insurance company to pick up my deductible difference. My daughter would also like her mortgage company to drop the PMI.
    More to your premise, I buy a BB for $400 less than full price with a two year contract. The economy goes south (two years ago) so I drop my $30 data plan, switch to my old dumbphone and sell the BB for a $150 profit but my carrier is out the $360 they won't see for the year remaining on my contract.
    BTW, on a phone that sells for $600 for month-to-month and $200 with 2 yr contract, the carrier is clearing about $15 on the data plan, on a 2 yr contract, with the other $15 going to make up the $400 reduction in sales price.
    05-06-10 10:16 AM
    I agree with you whole heartedly. I hated the idea of making the data plan part of contract for that very reason. In fact, before I had known that this was the policy, about a year after I had my 8330, I wanted to remove the data plan for that very reason (temporarily). I was told that I could not because it is dependent on data despite other companies who did not have such a strict policy. So I would of had to go back to my LG flip phone which I couldn't see myself using since it did not have a keyboard and I was texting dependent. So in essence what Verizon did was make a data plan contractual without you signing a contract agreeing to the data plan being as such. At the time, even the reps at the store locations told you that you had an option to remove it at any time by calling 611 but that the data plan must be set before you leave the store (sneaky tactic). This might have changed with better wording and better practices, I'm not sure. But the dependency on a data plan gives it a very contractually blurry line of what it means to have a 2 year obligation, and to what exactly (e.g. the service or the service as well as the plan).

At the end of the day, corporate entities are always going to use a bad economy as a reason for NOT budging on things like this. Whatever is affecting you financially in your life is probably affecting their bottom line as well from the larger population, especially when we're talking about the economy. Difference is that we are comparing a major company verses an individual. The struggle always lies on the smaller fish, not the big one. And at the end of the day, its the nature of capitolism!

Sorry, didn't mean to get all political.......
    05-06-10 10:17 AM
    Yes you can switch her back to her dumb phone and drop the bb data plan. Shouldn't be a problem.
    05-06-10 11:41 AM
    i want to upgrade my hubby to an enV with qwerty and block internet since he doesn't use it. But can't do. This is no good.

The Samsung Intensity is a decent full QWERTY slider phone that does not require a data plan. I spoke to my local VZW store and they say it as a decent phone (for what it is). I believe with rebate it nets Free.

or

Enter your location
    05-06-10 12:09 PM
    With the current economy I want my auto insurance company to pick up my deductible difference. My daughter would also like her mortgage company to drop the PMI.
    More to your premise, I buy a BB for $400 less than full price with a two year contract. The economy goes south (two years ago) so I drop my $30 data plan, switch to my old dumbphone and sell the BB for a $150 profit but my carrier is out the $360 they won't see for the year remaining on my contract.
    BTW, on a phone that sells for $600 for month-to-month and $200 with 2 yr contract, the carrier is clearing about $15 on the data plan, on a 2 yr contract, with the other $15 going to make up the $400 reduction in sales price.
    Well the fact of the matter is that the data plan is NOT part of the contract. You can remove any smartphone off of your line of service at any time, as long as you have a replacement device. You wont incur a penalty, you wont have to pay any extra for doing so. That's just the way it is, no one is beating the system.
    I do agree with having a data plan mandatory for any smartphone, if you don't want to pay the data fee, then go with a dumb phone. Get used to it because every carrier is moving towards that if they haven't already.
    05-06-10 12:13 PM
    That's funny, i *just* upgraded my hubbys phone! There were 2 "feature phones" with QWERTY keyboards that did NOT require data plans of any kind. The one you posted is one of them. i actually with with the LG Cosmos™ because the keypad looks bigger, and i like LGs. It was also free with the 2 year renewal.

As stated above by many of us, the OPs GF CAN go back to her old phone and remove the BB data plan. It will not cause an ETF or any issues with VZW.
    05-06-10 12:15 PM
    Well the fact of the matter is that the data plan is NOT part of the contract. You can remove any smartphone off of your line of service at any time, as long as you have a replacement device. You wont incur a penalty, you wont have to pay any extra for doing so. That's just the way it is, no one is beating the system.
    I do agree with having a data plan mandatory for any smartphone, if you don't want to pay the data fee, then go with a dumb phone. Get used to it because every carrier is moving towards that if they haven't already.
    Thank you (on the first part)! And I'm willing to bet its still the same way currently (havent seen an updated receipt in a while). But you are not signing a contract with for $29.99. You are on a contract for service and therefore receiving a discounted phone. The phone is roughly the same price range as higher end phones without data plan requirements so the idea of the data plan being required to add to that subsidized price you get for that blackberry is rediculous!

But I do disagree with you on the 2nd part. I dont agree with having the device requiring a data plan to work as being ethical... although it is a smart financial idea on their part. The form factor makes for good texting and some people also need "WORLD" capability for voice/text. As far as I know, no non-data required phone has world capabilities in Verizon's line up.

So basically, the requirement is unnecessary and flat out wrong! Unfortunately, your right, it is the way things are headed. Corporate America smells the cash flow...
    05-06-10 12:42 PM
    I have done it from online before. I think it works provided you don't activate another data required plan.
    05-06-10 01:22 PM
    You can also sell her Berry and get some money that way too. Make SURE to call verizon and get them to clear her PIN from the BIS, or do that yourself if you know how at the BIS website.
    05-06-10 03:04 PM
    The phone is roughly the same price range as higher end phones without data plan requirements so the idea of the data plan being required to add to that subsidized price you get for that blackberry is rediculous!
    You're comparing subsidized prices.

Go to vzw.com, select "Feature Phones", and change the terms to month-to-month to easily see Full Retail Price.

Then go to "3G Smartphones", make sure the term is still month-to-month, and you'll see their Full Retail Prices are significantly higher.

The greater subsidy on the 3G Smartphones I'm sure is built in at least partly because of the requirement for data.

And while you're at vzw.com, check out the Verizon Wireless Escapade. It may not be a qwerty, but it's a world phone that doesn't require the data package.
    05-06-10 09:24 PM
    on the Verizon site the phones list if they require a data plan or not. So you know beforehand if you need a data plan. I also think it is horrible that they now force a data plan on nonsmart phones. Perhaps a letter to the FCC might trigger action to change this ? I have always had a data plan though. But there are ppl out there who don't want it and shouldn't have to pay it even if the phone requires it except for smartphones.......they definitely need a data plan
    05-07-10 01:17 AM
    This isn't a verizon thing only. Its with all the carriers. Its become standard this data feature. As for non data world phones. U can still by the renown online I believe

05-07-10 03:11 AM
    on the Verizon site the phones list if they require a data plan or not. So you know beforehand if you need a data plan. I also think it is horrible that they now force a data plan on nonsmart phones. Perhaps a letter to the FCC might trigger action to change this ? I have always had a data plan though. But there are ppl out there who don't want it and shouldn't have to pay it even if the phone requires it except for smartphones.......they definitely need a data plan
    A data plan is required for the device and for the subsity you receive, however, at the end of the day, it means that the $29.99 extra to your plan is contractual as well. And that part is no where writen on your plan contract. You have to put 2 different statements together from 2 different sources to come to the conclusion that you will be tied to the data plan for 2 years. And in a business where there is a lot of legal wording, TOS agreements, you would think that this needs to be very clear cut when you sign the dotted line.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-07-10 at 08:33 AM.
    05-07-10 08:16 AM
    You're comparing subsidized prices.

Go to vzw.com, select "Feature Phones", and change the terms to month-to-month to easily see Full Retail Price.

Then go to "3G Smartphones", make sure the term is still month-to-month, and you'll see their Full Retail Prices are significantly higher.

The greater subsidy on the 3G Smartphones I'm sure is built in at least partly because of the requirement for data.

And while you're at vzw.com, check out the Verizon Wireless Escapade. It may not be a qwerty, but it's a world phone that doesn't require the data package.
    $29.99 a month extra for 2 years "AFTER" the plan to subsidize a cell phone? Doesn't add up.

I'll check out the Escapade (never seen it), however, even if its nice, it still doesnt advocate for eliminating the various options simply to make money.

But hey, it is what it is....
    05-07-10 08:32 AM
    $29.99 a month extra for 2 years "AFTER" the plan to subsidize a cell phone? Doesn't add up.
    No, but the extra $$ from the data plan is I'm sure why the smartphones are so heavily subsidized. That.. And it's a means of getting you onto a plan that's $30 extra a month without dropping $500 on a phone.

Clearly the extra cost goes towards all the data used on a smartphone.

I'm just surprised people are peeved about a data plan when unlimited texting costs $20/month on a single line or $30/month for a family share yet that service costs nearly nothing to run. Supply and demand.

05-07-10 08:54 AM
    No, but the extra $$ from the data plan is I'm sure why the smartphones are so heavily subsidized. That.. And it's a means of getting you onto a plan that's $30 extra a month without dropping $500 on a phone.

Clearly the extra cost goes towards all the data used on a smartphone.

I'm just surprised people are peeved about a data plan when unlimited texting costs $20/month on a single line or $30/month for a family share yet that service costs nearly nothing to run. Supply and demand.

I guess its like government that way. The cost doesnt match the service, but the $ is used to fund other parts of the company's functions...

Reminds me of the new increase in license plate renewal fees in NYC. A mandated $25 to change your plate color plus an extra $20 just to keep your #. Reason for the plate change: fading reflective material on our current plates that have only been in circulation since 2001??? I think not! Reason for the price for keeping the same plate #: There is no reasoning for that.

But at the end of the day, the increase will raise millions which will pay for the ailing subway system that has nothing to do with fees associated with plate renewals

In the private sector however, it might just be as simple as overall profit. Or better service... who knows

But when it comes to business profits, I've come to assume profit before service. Call me a cinic
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-07-10 at 09:11 AM.
    05-07-10 09:05 AM
    I guess its like government that way. The cost doesnt match the service, but the $ is used to fund other parts of the company's functions...

Reminds me of the new increase in license plate renewal fees in NYC. A mandated $25 to change your plate color plus an extra $20 just to keep your #. Reason for the plate change: fading reflective material on our current plates that have only been in circulation since 2001??? I think not! Reason for the price for keeping the same plate #: There is no reasoning for that.

But at the end of the day, the increase will raise millions which will pay for the ailing subway system that has nothing to do with fees associated with plate renewals

In the private sector however, it might just be as simple as overall profit. Or better service... who knows

But when it comes to business profits, I've come to assume profit before service. Call me a cinic
    I believe you are tied to the line activation not the data activation. That means you can swap in a dumb phone instead of a blackberry and drop the data plan.

Also, while I don't really have an opinion of this particular issue, I do have an opinion Verizon Wireless should be free to run their business model as they please. You don't like the rates or the plans or the phones or the ETFs, thankfully there are three other alternatives.

Once the manufacturers get the message they will be manufacturing decent "dumb" phones with "decent" keyboards for texting.
    05-07-10 12:57 PM
    A letter to the FCC because VzW is making you buy a phone that has a data plan? Yeah, that will fly.
    05-07-10 01:08 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD