I see posts about a cleared SIM or email or other things. What specifically needs to be cleared in order to actiavate it on my account and to be able to set up MY email?
    05-08-10 06:16 AM
    Is there something about a clear ESN? what does that mean and how to I make sure the seller has done that?
    05-08-10 06:20 AM
    I always ask the seller for the ESN. Once you have that number, call VZW and have them run the number to see if it can be activated.
    05-08-10 06:21 AM
    As BBBandit stated you need to make sure the ESN is clear with Verizon so you can activate the device.

If a phone is reported lost or stolen Verizon locks down the ESN so the device cannot be activated to prevent fraud. So if the device you buy does not have a clean ESN you will have in effect purchased an expensive paperweight.
    05-08-10 06:54 AM
    Most if not all won't give you the ESN. I only buy phones on Ebay if they are New in box. The effectiveness of cloning is pretty limited now adays though but I don't think you'll get many giving out the ESN. I only give it out to the high bidder after they've paid. I let my 100% positive feedback speak for itself. If you buy a used one make sure they accept PayPal, more than likely they will hold your money in escrow until you get the phone. If it has a bad ESN you'll get your money back.
    05-10-10 07:46 PM
    Also it is a good idea to make sure to have them release the PIN before they ship you the phone. That is they call the carrier and have them release the PIN from the BIS, OR from the BES, or they do it themswelves, if they know how.
    05-10-10 11:55 PM
    If the seller won't give you the esn steer clear. If they have nothing to hide they will give it to you. As for PayPal, especially with consumer electronics, thy do hold the money in escrow until either you leave positive feedback or 20 some odd days pass. I know because I have sold a lot of my old cell phones on eBay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD