Just a random question not that important or anything, more of a question out of curiosity...what the heck does that little icon that looks like a bullseye or target below the reception bars mean?
    01-02-09 03:27 PM
    That is the status of GPS. If there are no ))) symbols after it then it is set to E911 only. If you go and enable the GPS it will change to add the ))) after the Target symbol
    01-02-09 03:39 PM
    Ohhh the GPS! Thanks!
    01-02-09 03:50 PM
    Follow up question if I may, how do I turn GPS off all the way?
    01-04-09 03:01 PM
    I just checked on my 8330 and I didn't see an option to turn the GPS all the way off; its either 'location' or 'E911'. If you turn it to the 911 option its only active if you make a 911 call or for emergency use.
    01-05-09 11:11 AM
    It's not legal for the GPS to be turned all the way off. 911 has to be able to pinpoint your location.
    01-05-09 01:21 PM
    It's not legal for the GPS to be turned all the way off. 911 has to be able to pinpoint your location.
    Yes this is going to sound paranoid, but so in other words it's illegal to turn off the GPS and not be monitored?
    01-07-09 08:53 AM
    Actually, the way the federal law has been interpreted (state/local may different) is that the devices must be E911 capable & enabled out of the box & prohibits carriers/manufacturers from disabling it. It does not stop you from doing it.

The problem is this - if you disable it & something happens, what stops you from claiming it was never enabled, then suing your carrier & the maker of your phone, the company that shipped it, the second cousin of the programmer's cleaning lady's ex-husband, etc. We do live in a rather litigious society where many feel somebody else is responsible for everything they themselves screw up.

I've seen devices where you can disable the E911 GPS tracking, but they are becoming rarer by the day. Even if you did, the carriers will use tower triangulation - not quite as accurate, but close enough in many instances.

Because of this, disabling E911 isn't practical, no matter the legal issues. If you are concerned about your privacy, you really need to forget about mobile commiunications. If you're a conspiracy theorist (or truly paranoid), you've probably scanned everything in sight for RFID tags & have wrapped your Berry in foil already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD