It seems like the gsm carriers get the best phones. CDMA carriers (verizon) cant even have the storm to themselves. Hopefully the tour will be a solid device.
    05-24-09 06:32 PM
    awesome post
    05-24-09 07:11 PM
    A+ Post would read again.
    05-24-09 07:11 PM
    I'll be so glad when we will be able to send sub space messages.
    05-24-09 08:47 PM
    I am excited for LTE.. as well
    05-24-09 08:50 PM
    It seems like the gsm carriers get the best phones. CDMA carriers (verizon) cant even have the storm to themselves. Hopefully the tour will be a solid device.
    they don't get the BEST phones, they just get them first.

from a business standpoint of a manufacturer of handsets, it makes sense to have a GSM model first, there are more GSM users worldwide, so more potential buyers of the product.

what phone out right now is on GSM that isn't on CDMA that you want, anyway?

besides the jesusphone...
    05-24-09 08:53 PM
    they don't get the BEST phones, they just get them first.

from a business standpoint of a manufacturer of handsets, it makes sense to have a GSM model first, there are more GSM users worldwide, so more potential buyers of the product.

what phone out right now is on GSM that isn't on CDMA that you want, anyway?

besides the jesusphone...

well in the OP's defense they do in fact get more good phones...

they typically go through 2 models before the original model appears on cdma...

so in a way I guess saying they get the best phones is semi accurate..

Not saying that I have been totally dissatisfied with verizon's lineup but there has been many times that at&t's has looked better.
    05-24-09 09:09 PM
    well in the OP's defense they do in fact get more good phones...

they typically go through 2 models before the original model appears on cdma...

so in a way I guess saying they get the best phones is semi accurate..

Not saying that I have been totally dissatisfied with verizon's lineup but there has been many times that at&t's has looked better.
    maybe its just me, but i only use one phone at a time. so having a "choice" between 20 nearly identical devices is cool, but if the 1 phone does what i want, then what do the other 19 have to do with anything, ya know?

and i'm trying to think of a smartphone that was on GSM that wasn't on VZW shortly after...excluding exclusivity agreements, of course.

the dumbphone market, the OP has a very valid point. but there isn't much difference, they're all basically clones of each other named differently.
    05-24-09 09:19 PM
    maybe its just me, but i only use one phone at a time. so having a "choice" between 20 nearly identical devices is cool, but if the 1 phone does what i want, then what do the other 19 have to do with anything, ya know?

and i'm trying to think of a smartphone that was on GSM that wasn't on VZW shortly after...excluding exclusivity agreements, of course.

the dumbphone market, the OP has a very valid point. but there isn't much difference, they're all basically clones of each other named differently.

just think about one thing...

how long has the bold been out...

the onyx is coming soon to replace the bold...

while the bold equivalent device on verizon hasn't even launched yet...

this is just one example of many I can give you.

I don't choose carriers based on phones but for someone who does verizon is not the way to go.. sorry =(

I stand by verizon for the most part but this is one area where I just can't because i have to look at the facts
    05-24-09 09:32 PM
    just think about one thing...

how long has the bold been out...

the onyx is coming soon to replace the bold...

while the bold equivalent device on verizon hasn't even launched yet...

this is just one example of many I can give you.

I don't choose carriers based on phones but for someone who does verizon is not the way to go.. sorry =(

I stand by verizon for the most part but this is one area where I just can't because i have to look at the facts

i agree with you, i just don't use GSM service, so i don't know much about what they offer excluding the smartphone market...was just curious what you had to say about it.
    05-24-09 10:51 PM
    i agree with you, i just don't use GSM service, so i don't know much about what they offer excluding the smartphone market...was just curious what you had to say about it.

I am very happy with my Verizon service so no worry's. Its just as far as hardware go's verizon can't keep up simple because more GSM devices are produced.

When LTE comes around this will probably change a bit. Thats why I think its going to be a game changer in some situations.
    05-24-09 10:54 PM
    It seems like the gsm carriers get the best phones. CDMA carriers (verizon) cant even have the storm to themselves.Hopefully the tour will be a solid device.
    It already is. You wont be disappointed.
    05-24-09 11:03 PM
    It already is. You wont be disappointed.

this is what I like to hear

I am assuming you have hands on experience
    05-25-09 12:00 AM
    the point is, we are still awaiting the tour to be released while AT&T (according to the CB homepage) is about to get 4 new blackberries. I know it always seems like the grass is always greener on the other side, but i know from experience thats not always the case. I also am not saying that i would go out and buy every new blackberry that comes out but to have a good variety of phones to chose from is not a bad thing. Is it?
    05-25-09 10:31 AM
    the point is, we are still awaiting the tour to be released while AT&T (according to the CB homepage) is about to get 4 new blackberries. I know it always seems like the grass is always greener on the other side, but i know from experience thats not always the case. I also am not saying that i would go out and buy every new blackberry that comes out but to have a good variety of phones to chose from is not a bad thing. Is it?
    Choice is always good. I hear the the first LTE devices will be called the following.

1. the hurry up and wait.

2. The released before I was ready, and

3. Should I get the hurry up and wait or the released before I was ready or wait for what ever the next rumored device is.
    05-25-09 10:44 AM
    Now that's a great post

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 10:51 AM
    The new ATT BBs are pretty vague in their descriptions IMO. I don't see anything except maybe the touchscreen aspect that's really "new" (and that's available now in lots of other phones). The best feature I've seen is the trackpad to replace the trackball (which freezes in all phones). 3g pearl is a waste of time lol. I can't believe they'd even mess with that. Why goof up a perfectly excellent phone with their 3g?
    05-25-09 12:30 PM
    When LTE comes around this will probably change a bit. Thats why I think its going to be a game changer in some situations.
    In a lot of situations
    05-26-09 09:37 AM
    Choice is always good. I hear the the first LTE devices will be called the following.

1. the hurry up and wait.

2. The released before I was ready, and

3. Should I get the hurry up and wait or the released before I was ready or wait for what ever the next rumored device is.
    Niiiiice and here is a lil hope for ya.
    VZW will roll out their LTE before AT&T and if I remember
    correctly will have theirs completed or darnn near completed
    before AT&T gets started.

I know it is apples and oranges. But a friend of mine has
    AT&T Uverse which btw is sweet.
    I went over to the AT&T forum and asked what the diff
    was between that and cable. I got an explanation; it is
    fiber transmission. But u know what the AT&T guy
    told me. VZW Fios runs their fiber all the way to the
    house.
    If VZW is intense about something like this.
    U know they will be intense about their LTE.
    So buck up ya'll
    05-26-09 09:45 AM
    Now with LTE....could I take my SIM card out of my CDMA BB 9530 and put it in my new phone and it'd work?

I just don't really see the purpose of having a SIM card in my Storm right now unless you need to unlock it for overseas GSM use...

Sounds like LTE will be in use by Verizon for a very long time though. With rollout not complete until 2011 it feels like they will use this technology at least halfway into the next decade...whereas the current 3G setup looks like it will only stick for a few years.
    05-26-09 09:46 AM
    Now with LTE....could I take my SIM card out of my CDMA BB 9530 and put it in my new phone and it'd work?

I just don't really see the purpose of having a SIM card in my Storm right now unless you need to unlock it for overseas GSM use...

Sounds like LTE will be in use by Verizon for a very long time though. With rollout not complete until 2011 it feels like they will use this technology at least halfway into the next decade...whereas the current 3G setup looks like it will only stick for a few years.
    Here is a couple of nice threads for u.
    This should answer a lot of your questions.
    Just read them all the way thru....
    Especially the VZW 3G one :-)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/lte-vzw-189077/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ver...ess-3g-193351/
    05-26-09 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD