Hey everyone,

I know this is a pretty basic question that I could call verizon to find out, but just wondering if anyone has suggestions.

I have 9 months left on my contract (iPhone 4S) and I would love to get a Z10. Are my only options to either pay the early termination fee of $350 and then get a new contract and z10 for $199? The other option I guess would be to just buy the phone outright for $599.

I do not really want to mess with ebay or craigslist.

Anything someone seeing that I am not??!

Thanks!
    03-14-13 04:14 PM
    Your carrier would answer that best.

But, you could buy it outright and save on a termination fee. May have to modify your plan for one geared for BB10.

Or in some cases people have sold their original device which would cover all or most of the early upgrade fee. Then you'd be signing onto a new contract with carrier to get a subsidized Z10

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 04:25 PM
    Your carrier would answer that best.

But, you could buy it outright and save on a termination fee. May have to modify your plan for one geared for BB10
    No need to modify plans for BB10. There is no BB-specific plans required (i.e. BIS) for BB10 the way they're required for legacy BBOS devices.

Or in some cases people have sold their original device which would cover all or most of the early upgrade fee. Then you'd be signing onto a new contract with carrier to get a subsidized Z10
    @OP: this was going to be my suggestion. Depending on your area and the condition of your device, plus any accessories you have to throw in, you might be able to "self-subsidize" your new Z10 purchase quite nicely. Check local craigslist to gauge price range you could expect.
    03-14-13 04:31 PM
    Or you could just add a line....
    03-14-13 04:37 PM
    My advice is to buy the phone without a contract and use it on Verizon. When you're contract is due, you can upgrade and get another phone and sell that to make back the money buying the Z10. Hopefully the other BlackBerry 10 devices will be out when you're due for an upgrade ~! The much rumored BlackBerry Aristo or the slider one who knows =)

There's nothing wrong with buying from someone on Craigslist; just make sure that you meet that person I'm a public place - McDonald's etc. that you'll feel safe and comfortable with. Just make sure to let the seller know that you want to pop in your SIM card to test and make sure everything works before you pay for it.

Hey everyone,

I know this is a pretty basic question that I could call verizon to find out, but just wondering if anyone has suggestions.

I have 9 months left on my contract (iPhone 4S) and I would love to get a Z10. Are my only options to either pay the early termination fee of $350 and then get a new contract and z10 for $199? The other option I guess would be to just buy the phone outright for $599.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 04:46 PM
    No need to modify plans for BB10. There is no BB-specific plans required (i.e. BIS) for BB10 the way they're required for legacy BBOS device
    Regardless of what some people may think, BlackBerry services are required for full functionality. Email and browsing would work without a switch. BBM and Protect most Def would not. Possibly other applications relying on BlackBerry services too.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 04:58 PM
    I'm for the self-subsidizing opinion.

A iPhone 4S will still get you a few hundred dollars depending on condition. You can further 'self-subsidize' by buying a Z10 from craigslist. There's often people who have essentially brand new phones for sale at a good discount.
    03-14-13 05:27 PM
    Sorry I meant to quote it but this is in reference to post #6..

I ordered a z10 from Verizon and didn't even see an option for blackberry services. I was with sprint so might have missed it in the ordering process. Did anyone else see it when ordering?
    03-15-13 02:40 AM
    Sorry I meant to quote it but this is in reference to post #6..

I ordered a z10 from Verizon and didn't even see an option for blackberry services. I was with sprint so might have missed it in the ordering process. Did anyone else see it when ordering?
    No need to add specific blackberry services with the phone on Verizon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    03-15-13 03:05 AM
    No need to add specific blackberry services with the phone on Verizon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I can tell you that if you call BlackBerry about a BBM issue, the first thing they will do is make sure the carrier has the right plan assigned.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 06:42 AM
    I can tell you that if you call BlackBerry about a BBM issue, the first thing they will do is make sure the carrier has the right plan assigned.

Posted via CB10
    Do you mean if the end user selected the right plan, or if the carrier offers the right plan? And why would BB even offer the phone on a carrier that does not carry a plan that can offer full service?

I watched a lot of the launch on the webcast and it appeared that someone from BB said it a Blackberry Service Plan was no longer needed. I say "appeared" because he didn't come right out and say "blackberry service plans are no longer needed" but he implied it.
    03-15-13 07:37 AM
    Services still need to be allotted to the device. The carrier system has to identify that it's a BlackBerry specific plan.

I'm not talking about the self service options where your choosing how much data and voice

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 04:34 PM
    Services still need to be allotted to the device. The carrier system has to identify that it's a BlackBerry specific plan.

I'm not talking about the self service options where your choosing how much data and voice
    Whatever needs to happen, happens on the back end now, invisible to consumer. You choose a data plan and your Z10 works, from the consumer's perspective. I won't claim to know enough about the ins & outs of every carrier's network to say what they have to do or not, but there are not BB-specific data plans for BB10, even though BBM and possibly some other services are going through BIS/NOC.
    03-15-13 06:12 PM
    The OP is better off buying retail from verizon. You will have to get a data plan...1gb is the lowest you can go with a smart phone. Verzion has no brand specific plan unlike USC. If you have a smartphone....you HAVE to have a data plan.
    03-17-13 04:26 PM
    I bought this phone 3 days ago .. Yesterday I sold it and buy curve ! you know why ..! because it doesn't worth this
    mush money .. browser bad .. battery life bad .. camera is **** ..!!

I advice you to buy 2 phones .. a curve and Galaxy S4 .. That's what I will do when Galaxy available in store ..!
    03-17-13 04:48 PM
    I bought this phone 3 days ago .. Yesterday I sold it and buy curve ! you know why ..! because it doesn't worth this
    mush money .. browser bad .. battery life bad .. camera is **** ..!!

I advice you to buy 2 phones .. a curve and Galaxy S4 .. That's what I will do when Galaxy available in store ..!
    Battery life is bad versus a device like the Curve, but comparable to other premium touchscreen smartphones.

The browser is wonderful. Many critics consider it the best on Ile browser.

You're straight up out to lunch on the camera, even more so if you're comparing it to any Curve model.

I'm happy you're happy though.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 05:10 PM
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!
    If your on your own account you can add a line. This would allow you to get the phone at contract price. The line you added would then have a "dummy" esn put onto it, and you could use the Z10 on your current number. If you have the old plan the addition of a line should only be $9.99
    03-18-13 08:35 AM
    If your on your own account you can add a line. This would allow you to get the phone at contract price. The line you added would then have a "dummy" esn put onto it, and you could use the Z10 on your current number. If you have the old plan the addition of a line should only be $9.99
    With a 4S I doubt he is on an old acct. If he goes this route the "dummy" line will cost him $30 a month extra.

The OP is better off buying off contract.
    03-18-13 07:40 PM