09-28-09 12:08 AM
41 12
tools
    Please check your market information. At 3pm 9/25 VZ is down another 4%. This in spite of the fact that it is X-dividend in a few days and carries one of the highest dividends (apr 5.6%) in the whole stock market. I want to own this stock for the dividend but the risk of a sell off is too great unless they can come up with some serious hardware real soon. It is about having the sexiest toys. If not then we would all still be using Razors & Chocolats.
    09-25-09 03:31 PM
    Please check your market information. At 3pm 9/25 VZ is down another 4%. This in spite of the fact that it is X-dividend in a few days and carries one of the highest dividends (apr 5.6%) in the whole stock market. I want to own this stock for the dividend but the risk of a sell off is too great unless they can come up with some serious hardware real soon. It is about having the sexiest toys. If not then we would all still be using Razors & Chocolats.
    Oh I'm sorry but we are back on topic...
    09-25-09 04:17 PM
    You can do what you want. Unless you were the sole predictor of the crash of last year, I would not listen to my instincts. Tell me what tech/industrial stock (although VZW isn't traded) hasn't gone down/up/down in the last year in some way shape or fashion?

Let's talk in a year shall we?
    09-25-09 04:35 PM
    By the way ATT was up again today and is soaring. I don't want to buy it but it generally means something being in the same sector and doing so much better than VZ.
    Thanx for the thread. It has been interesting eh. Three cheers for Verizon and they're dependable network. They certainly have got that right!
    09-25-09 05:08 PM
    What's an Onyx?
    09-26-09 01:56 AM
    You're never "off the clock". You represent the company that you work for 24/7. Your customers know this even if U don't..
    Three cheers. Someone else is adult and responsible enough to understand this. Oh ****, let's make it seven cheers.

That's what a real customer service rep told me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 02:25 AM
    Please check your market information. At 3pm 9/25 VZ is down another 4%.
    Care to also elaborate on the beating, or partial market correction that happened today?

You might also consider that wireline providers have been taking it in the shorts lately. Take out VZComm & VZW would compare a lot better. Still, VZW's heavy reliance on BlackBerry may end up biting them in the tail pretty soon. The BOGOs are failing to attract new customers in the volume they were hoping. Too many people are holding out for better devices & the new network technology.

Many people are under the impression that when LTE comes out, their phones will no longer work & they will have to buy new ones. Hence the recent flurry of sometimes contradictory statements pertaining to the lifespan of CDMA.

Yes, CDMA will be overlaid by LTE. But we need to remember that 1xRTT is CDMA. LTE will replace EVDO within the nezt 3-4 years. But 1xRTT will live on - probably past 2020. .

VZW needs to open their network quickly & get off this trainwreck they are on with RIM.

09-26-09 03:39 AM
    Care to also elaborate on the beating, or partial market correction that happened today?

You might also consider that wireline providers have been taking it in the shorts lately. Take out VZComm & VZW would compare a lot better. Still, VZW's heavy reliance on BlackBerry may end up biting them in the tail pretty soon. The BOGOs are failing to attract new customers in the volume they were hoping. Too many people are holding out for better devices & the new network technology.

Many people are under the impression that when LTE comes out, their phones will no longer work & they will have to buy new ones. Hence the recent flurry of sometimes contradictory statements pertaining to the lifespan of CDMA.

Yes, CDMA will be overlaid by LTE. But we need to remember that 1xRTT is CDMA. LTE will replace EVDO within the nezt 3-4 years. But 1xRTT will live on - probably past 2020. .

VZW needs to open their network quickly & get off this trainwreck they are on with RIM.

WM 7 is botched, WM 6.5 and 6.1 is clunky. Pre is dead, RIM is a trainwreck. If all that leaves is iphone I'm getting off the cellphone bandwagon. The only real viable business phone is RIM.

What Verizon needs to do is push their technology and their suppliers to that people can get the phones they want before TMobile gets them. Having said that it's easier to get a new phone in, than to build your network out and that's where Verizon has everybody else.
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-26-09 at 09:57 AM.
    09-26-09 09:48 AM
    There's one!

You can either battle it till it's weak and capture it or use an ultra ball. Your choice.
    09-26-09 11:11 AM
    The only real viable business phone is RIM..
    Then why are there banks looking at iPhone, hospitals, IT departments and brokerages using Winmo? How does the European business community survive with Symbian?

BB doesn't even come with a usable office suite.

The BB as the only viable business solution is a myth and a lie, propagated by Rim the traiinwreck.. Big time Fail.
    09-27-09 05:12 AM
    Then why are there banks looking at iPhone, hospitals, IT departments and brokerages using Winmo? How does the European business community survive with Symbian?

BB doesn't even come with a usable office suite.

The BB as the only viable business solution is a myth and a lie, propagated by Rim the traiinwreck.. Big time Fail.
    iphone and winmo are both to clunky...fails. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Hey you could port Windows 3.1 to a phone device and claim it's the best operating system.
    09-27-09 11:51 AM
    If you think Winmo is clunky then you have not seen it under HTC's GUI. Regardless, your response still doesn't answer your business claim. Too many businesses need software that will not run on BB and can't be written to run on BB.
    09-27-09 01:34 PM
    Running your business from software installed on your phone, is a whole different ballgame than emails. Do you have specific examples of general type applications for business that are phone specific? Are we talking trading, tracking, customer service, manufacturing?

And do we differentiate between mom and pop businesses or massive enterprise applications for fortune 500 companies?

The statement is vague enough and broad enough to be able to apply to anything?

Additionally, my comments on clunky were based on playing around with Tp2, much clunkier IMO than BBerys interface.
    09-27-09 02:54 PM
    Additionally, my comments on clunky were based on playing around with Tp2, much clunkier IMO than BBerys interface.
    And much more capable.

The vast majority of people here do not do just business email - they are more socially oriented. And getting email on the TP2 is one keystroke away - and just as secure as getting email on your computer.

Around here, the advice often has to be somewhat general, in nature & tone. Fortune 500 execs don't hang out on CB. The average age here is probably south of 25 - definitely below 30. They get these BlackBerrys, after being told they are the greatest devices since sliced bread - then wonder why they have problems with video, Facebook & podcasts. When the best newsreader is Viigo, there is a problem.

The proper advice would be more along the lines of, "If you want bare-bones functionality, get bbrry. If you want horsepower & features, get something else. If you want an iPhone wannabe that isn't as good as an iPhone, get Storm."

I can have fun with the simplicity of a Triumph, MG or even a Miata, but the hassles & larger size of a Ferrari, a Corvette or a Porsche are more than worth it - for those who can handle it.

You can get the job done with a jam-free Ruger 22 revolver - but an AR-15 or a .45ACP is so much more effective.

Years ago, I had a lot of fun with a trouble-free knee-dragging Suzuki RD350 twi-stroke - got rid of the cat-con in the first 100 miles. But today, I do Ducati, VMax, Harley & Aprelia.

If you can't handle a better smartphone, there is always BlackBerry.

09-27-09 06:40 PM
    And much more capable.

The vast majority of people here do not do just business email -

You can get the job done with a jam-free Ruger 22 revolver - but an AR-15 or a .45ACP is so much more effective.

snip...
    That's the point, exactly. What do the majority of people in the world do with their phones. CB is a little microcosm. A capable phone depends on what one uses it for.

You can also get *that* job done with a nuclear bomb, but that doesn't mean it's better.

(BTW. I enjoy reading your posts, I hope you know we are having a friendly conversation of differing viewpoints)
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-27-09 at 09:58 PM.
    09-27-09 09:40 PM
    Oh I know we are - and I think we basically agree.

And I often overstate or play devil's advocate just to get people to think.

I write what I do for the folks who are either on the fence or are just getting a BlackBerry because they think or have been told it is the best device out there. For some, it may be. For others, they are shortchanging themselves.

09-28-09 12:08 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD