I was wondering if anyone uses this option on VZW to change between devices. I'd like to have my Storm with me all the time but I was thinking about getting another smaller Blackberry to switch to when I go out dancing, drinking, working outdoors, or anytime I want a smaller lighter phone with me. From what I understand, you can dial *228 and switch between devices? I tried this with another phone, but if you switch to a non-Blackberrry you get transferred to cust service and have to change your plan. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this...
    Last edited by vllssv; 05-02-09 at 12:54 PM.
    05-02-09 12:49 PM
    you can register a different phone that way yes, but with a BB you would have to switch your plan everytime. You are SOL basically
    05-02-09 12:53 PM
    FYI you can only switch 3 times per billing period.
    05-02-09 01:00 PM
    You can switch ESN's as many times as you want per billing period. He would not have to change his plan if he's changing from BB to BB.

You can do this, *228 option 3.
    05-02-09 01:09 PM
    Oh well, thanks for thie info. As alternative I was thinking about getting a second line upgrading to a family plan and using call forwarding to the other phone. But that double dips the minutes(which is okay on nights and weekends), but I don't think there's a way to have your text messages forwarded as well...
    05-02-09 01:11 PM
    You can switch ESN's as many times as you want per billing period. He would not have to change his plan if he's changing from BB to BB.

You can do this, *228 option 3.
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Could I switch to a Pearl or some other BB then back to my Storm as many times as needed during a billing cycle?
    Last edited by vllssv; 05-02-09 at 01:14 PM.
    05-02-09 01:12 PM
    Obviously this won't help now, but wait until Verizon migrates to LTE. That technology is SIM based so you'll be able to swap phones similar to what GSM carriers do now.... should be a godsend.
    05-02-09 01:21 PM
    Obviously this won't help now, but wait until Verizon migrates to LTE. That technology is SIM based so you'll be able to swap phones similar to what GSM carriers do now.... should be a godsend.
    Except I'm hearing that VZ won't use sim cards with LTE Probably to soon to tell...
    05-02-09 01:26 PM
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Could I switch to a Pearl or some other BB then back to my Storm as many times as needed during a billing cycle?
    Yes you could.
    05-02-09 01:30 PM
    I do this all the time. I just keep both devices charged. Whenever i want to use my curve, i completely turn off the storm...dial *228 option 3 on my curve, put in my phone number and last 4 of social...done. Takes like 1 minute. I've done it many times within a billing cycle...at least 10.
    05-02-09 02:42 PM
    I do this all the time. I just keep both devices charged. Whenever i want to use my curve, i completely turn off the storm...dial *228 option 3 on my curve, put in my phone number and last 4 of social...done. Takes like 1 minute. I've done it many times within a billing cycle...at least 10.
    Awesome!! That's exactly the input I was looking for. Thanks!!! And thanks everyone for the info
    05-02-09 02:54 PM
    Glad I saw this! I have a rebuild Storm I want to test on the network. If it's really that easy to change then I can do that no problem! Thanks!
    05-02-09 04:32 PM
    Not only can you switch to a Non-BlackBerry phone, but it will not require you to speak to a customer service representative and you might possibly even earn money doing so.

I had a HORRIBLE issue with the screen dying on my 9530 and while my new one was suppose to arrive Friday (1st) and didn't, I had to call CS. The awesome CS rep I spoke to told me about this *228 - Option 3 thing to which I did switching to a Env2 I used to have.

Simply use the Verizon Wireless website to change your phone by entering your ESN and then *228 and Option 3 on your phone you're wanting to switch too. That simple. Plus it actually SAVED me $37.00 (how that much, i or the cs rep had no clue) off my bill for not needing data for this whole weekend.

Monday when the new 9530 arrives I can do the same thing to switch back and when online entering the ESN, it'll give me the option to re-pickup my data package but the account bill credit will be maintained he told me.

So yes, SAVE money and switch phones ANYTIME you want!
    05-03-09 02:09 AM
    if you have google voice, i would think about giving out that number. you can set google voice to send the call to multiple phones, so even if both phones don't have the same number, if your friends call your google voice number, it'll ring both and you can pick up whichever one you have.

i believe google voice is still in beta, but it sounds like it could be useful once it's released publicly.
    05-03-09 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD