So I ended up getting a BB on eBay (7200 series, best I can tell, for a ridiculously low price!). When I learned that Verizon charges $29.99 for the data package and that it's required for BB, I decided to look at some Palms. Well, turns out I won that auction as well. So now I have two PDAs en route to my house!

I talked to Verizon, and was told that the data package for the Palm would also be $29.99 but wasn't required. However, if I don't get it, I also can't send pics and video... which is included in my Family Share plan.

So, I guess I'm going to join the ranks as a BB owner and operator! Of course, that's pending whether or not it even works when I get it - it really was a steal! (the seller didn't enter a reserve price, but the Buy it Now was A LOT more than I paid for it, so I'm thinking I just got really, really lucky)
    06-10-08 12:59 PM
    Welcome and good luck. I think you will like the bb much better. As for me comming from treo's, I don't miss all the lock ups and soft resets on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, when the treo worked it is an amazing phone and aside from the touchscreen I really don't miss it that much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-08 01:12 PM
    The 7200 series doesn't have a camera on it, not sure if Verizon told you but because there's no camera they won't allow video or picture messaging. Instead they turn it into a link where you have to browse to and view the image.
    06-10-08 02:45 PM
    Welcome! You are making a great choice by choosing the BB. I have been using BBs for about a year and two weeks ago I though I could switch to a Treo. After about a week without a berry I started to go through withdrawal. So I'm back now!!
    06-10-08 06:41 PM
    welcome to cb! you have made a genius decision.
    06-10-08 06:44 PM
    Good decision.
    06-10-08 09:12 PM

I talked to Verizon, and was told that the data package for the Palm would also be $29.99 but wasn't required. However, if I don't get it, I also can't send pics and video... which is included in my Family Share plan.
    Just FYI, this is not true. I got told the same thing but when I questioned it they pulled in tech support and they verified that you can still send pix and videos without the data plan.

Still got rid of the Treo though.
    06-11-08 10:44 AM
    should have spent a little more money and got a pearl or a curve. They're maybe not as cheep but, the advantages out weigh the price
    06-11-08 08:02 PM
    Try Craigslist.org or Ebay. You can probably find some cheap deals on the Pearl of Curve.
    06-11-08 09:40 PM
    Just FYI, this is not true. I got told the same thing but when I questioned it they pulled in tech support and they verified that you can still send pix and videos without the data plan.

Still got rid of the Treo though.
    That's correct - text and multimedia messages (SMS and MMS) are an add-on to your voice plan. If you want Internet access, you need to add the $30 Blackberry Email and Web plan.

Although why you'd want a Blackberry without Internet access is a bit of a mystery, it's their reason for existence.
    06-12-08 03:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD