I recently purchased the Samsung Omnia and then returned it. they suggested I get a Blackberry. I wanted the storm and they (verizon) said no don't get the curve. I have no clue how to use the docs to go and everytime i download something(like the bible) I have clue where to find it! I am getting ready to return the curve as well and just get a 19.99 phone!
    04-02-09 02:45 PM
    I recently purchased the Samsung Omnia and then returned it. they suggested I get a Blackberry. I wanted the storm and they (verizon) said no don't get the curve. I have no clue how to use the docs to go and everytime i download something(like the bible) I have clue where to find it! I am getting ready to return the curve as well and just get a 19.99 phone!
    Sounds like you have your mind made up. Good luck.
    04-02-09 06:28 PM
    No not really I am just frustrated. is the strom a good phone?
    04-02-09 06:44 PM
    There is nothing self explanatory about the blackberry, but its an awesome
    Phone and worth the effort of learning. I could never get the bible app
    To work either, so I guess i'm not much help
    04-02-09 06:46 PM
    It's hit or miss. If you get a defective one ( and most are defective ), then the phone sucks. If you get a good one, then it's good. I've had issues with a few of them, but they were all defective, and I finally got one that isn't defective and I love it. I can't wait for the next OS update to come out, I'm sure it will fix some of the glitches my phone has. I have a Curve and like both for different reasons. If I was going to send more e-mails and more text messages, I would rather have the Curve, but I like to browse the web and watch videos more than anything, so I like the Storm for that. Depends on what you want.
    04-02-09 06:51 PM
    The Storm is trash - the Curve is great and would serve most people well for awhile.

Something to consider is the vast majority of recent BlackBerry converts don't need, nor use the capability of one.

If you don't need to customize how your phone works and you don't need to manage/handle attachments, you don't need a BlackBerry or WinMo or Palm phone.

If you only need text messaging and voice, pick a regular phone with a keyboard you can live with and a screen you'll enjoy looking at.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 06:55 PM
    I love my Storm. I got a good one, Tinkered around a little, got everything working...

it takes time, but it's well worth the effort.
    04-02-09 07:00 PM
    I know nothing about the Storm, so I can't help you there, but before I got my BB, I tried an HCT Touch Pro and could not figure out what the heck to do with it. It was just far too complicated for me. I got an 8330 Curve and LOVE it. I am totally in love with my phone. I am about the most technologically challenged person you would ever hope to meet, but even I can use this phone. If I can, anyone can.

Again, I know nothing about the Storm, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Curve. But if you are not able to utilize it for what you want, then I guess it won't do you much good. I have mine set up for anything and everything I could ever want, so it suites me fine.
    04-02-09 07:10 PM
    Get the Curve. Trust me
    04-02-09 07:13 PM
    The Storm is trash - the Curve is great and would serve most people well for awhile.

Thats a pretty ignorant comment from a pretty educated guy... no offense.

There is nothing wrong with the storm. I use mine everyday with no problems. The curve is also great and proven. The storm will only get better with time.

I agree with the comments though, if you werent in the market for a blackberry, you probably dont need one. They are just trying to get the additional 30 bucks a month out of you, which is mandatory on every blackberry through Verizon.
    04-02-09 07:17 PM
    Thats a pretty ignorant comment from a pretty educated guy... no offense.
    Nothing ignorant about it. It is my opinion, based on personal experience, return frequency and interface.

Reports of a replacement being accelerated would seem to back it up. The 9900 looks to be coming a year after the Storm, It appears to be a complete replacement and not an extra model.

I remember when all of the car magazines trumpeted a new car from GM and people flocked to buy one. Now, 38 years later, instead of being remembered as a car that helped kill off the VW Beetle, the Chevy Vega is remembered as a joke simply because it had a poorly executed engine.

How did we fix our poor Vega (yes, I bought one)? They had a 12mo/12,000mi warranty, common for the day. It was simple - we put a new engine in it! In my case, a 396 V8 solved the problem. Turned out to be great - a Camaro heart in a much lighter body.

You won't be able to transplant the "engine" on your Storm and, placed side by side, even my touchscreen-hating, Apple-despising, fingers vastly prefer the iPhone.

I bring this up about the Vega primarily to illustrate that I understand you can often accept the problems of a product because the advantages are so alluring. But I see nothing in a Storm that would entice me. It feels much larger & heavier than a Curve. The interface is slower. There are no keys to feel and the haptic feedback is highly overrated. It has an accelerometer and a touchscreen to try matching the iPhone. There are no benefits to either, except for games & trash apps. I'll buy a real Zippo and an accurate level, if I need them. I don't need a TV screen on my washing machine and I don't need these gimmicks on my BlackBerry.

On the plus side, the Storm has a beautiful display, if you can see it through the fingerprints. It also has a decent memory cache & a welcome processor upgrade. It is still slower in operation than an iPhone.

RIM tried to make a BlackBerry iPhone and largely failed. There is no followup for the Storm, as RIM appears to have yanked it from their roadmap.

So, for you Storm owners, you will be stuck with an expensive LG-like model life. Instead of seeing a new device just in time for your NE2, by the time your NE2 comes up, you'll be two or three models behind.

Again, my opinion - but just around me, the folks who jumped on the Storm bandwagon are mostly on second or third ones, if they've not returned to Curve. I've not once replaced a Curve for defects.

As a company, we will not pay for the Storm - far too many problems and, based on the repeated delays in even putting out an updated OS being released, it seems the problems may be more than RIM can reliably fix.

04-02-09 09:10 PM
    While clever and well thought out, your argument is fundamentally wrong. This isn't the time nor the place to have the discussion though.

I will just say this... the Storm isn't Verizon's best selling phone to date because old timers like yourself ran over on release day to pick up your storm. It was marketed towards a much younger crowd, a crowd that didn't carry a Blackberry before the Storm was released. So not only did RIM sell a BUNCH of storms, they expanded their customer base by a very large number. I don't call that a failure in my book, regardless of how long the Storm sticks around.

I'll end it there as I could go on forever proving you wrong. I don't think over a million devices sold since November is leading anyone to believe the phone is trash, going to be discontinued anytime soon, or not a success.
    04-02-09 10:17 PM
    The phone is a lemon, that's why its "trash". Just because millions were sold doesn't make the phone good. This phone has had so many problems from the beginning that George Bush would pull out. I agree they did a great job marketing the phone and getting new customers, but they also pissed alot of people off and turned them away. Go look in the storm forum and look at how many positive posts there are compared to negative posts.

Last edited by joeymusleh; 04-02-09 at 10:30 PM.
    04-02-09 10:27 PM
    I will just say this... the Storm isn't Verizon's best selling phone to date because old timers like yourself ran over on release day to pick up your storm. It was marketed towards a much younger crowd, a crowd that didn't carry a Blackberry before the Storm was released. So not only did RIM sell a BUNCH of storms, they expanded their customer base by a very large number. I don't call that a failure in my book, regardless of how long the Storm sticks around.
    Many people never bought another GM product because of the Vega. Too many problems and you end up shooting yourself in the foot.
    04-02-09 11:08 PM
    I have no clue how to use the docs to go and everytime i download something(like the bible) I have clue where to find it!

While you may very well wind up ditching your current phone, there must be a way to solve this particular problem. When you first set up your phone, did Docs to Go ask you to set up a default documents file? If so, anything you download through that app. is probably in that file. It may have some very WinMo-type name like "My Documents" or it may be something cryptic like "DTGData". Look around. It's probably there.

Does anybody else here who's more familiar with DTG have any suggestions?
    04-03-09 06:59 AM
    While clever and well thought out, your argument is fundamentally wrong. This isn't the time nor the place to have the discussion though.
    Why not? The OP was looking for opinions on two of RIM's most sought after models.

I will just say this... the Storm isn't Verizon's best selling phone to date because old timers like yourself ran over on release day to pick up your storm.
    It's the best selling phone because of marketing. Much the same way Bose is the best selling home theater equipment manufacturer :shudder:

It was marketed towards a much younger crowd, a crowd that didn't carry a Blackberry before the Storm was released. So not only did RIM sell a BUNCH of storms, they expanded their customer base by a very large number. I don't call that a failure in my book, regardless of how long the Storm sticks around.
    While it may be their first Blackberry, for a very large percentage of them, I suspect it will also be their last.

I'll end it there as I could go on forever proving you wrong.
    You can certainly go on arguing, but you haven't yet proven anything TwinsX2Dad has said is wrong. The Storm was badly executed, mostly from a software/OS standpoint. I have one. It's sitting in my desk drawer for now, until something acceptable arrives on the OS front, or until my next trip to Europe . . . whichever comes first.

I don't think over a million devices sold since November is leading anyone to believe the phone is trash, going to be discontinued anytime soon, or not a success.
    See Bose comment above. Marketing and hype often trump quality and performance, especially to the uninformed buyer.
    04-03-09 07:14 AM
    Really it depends on the person and what is going to meet their needs. All I can say as I have said to everyone that makes a post curve or storm is to go play with the two and compair for yourself and what is best for YOU. what is best from some isn't always best for others.
    04-03-09 07:56 AM
    I have had both phones. I had the Storm when it was originally released and returned it the middle of December for a new Curve. From my experience the Curve is much more reliable. The Storm randomly turned off, snowy screen, the screen wouldn't change when I was getting a called so I didn't know who was calling, etc. That doesn't mean these problems haven't been remedied as of late. My suggestion would be stick with the Curve. Owning a Blackberry is a learning process for any first time user but it is worth it in the long run. Funny enough a friend of mine was very excited to show me his 'cool' phone that played music yesterday . I started playing music on my Curve and his response was "thats your PHONE?!". I am sure the Storm will be a cool phone once all the kinks are worked out- the video resolution was very cool and I would rather watch movies on the Storm over the Curve anyday.
    04-03-09 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD