02-22-09 10:59 PM
35 12
tools
    I called on sunday morning at 9 am and wanted to get the family and friends plan, mind you I am on the 700 minute plan, and the person I talked to said, you do not need this you have never gone over your minutes looking back at the last 5 months, I could not in good contions sell you something you do not need. See I love that now that is service. I have been with them 9 years and I will be with them for good... They aren't even in this part of the state! I am always in extended network, but I donk care they are better than the companys that are hear... Thanx sales rep. You are the best!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 04:38 PM
    The customer service is pretty good. I am tired of getting crippled phones because they want to sell an extra service. Enough is enouh - leave the inherent blue tooth and gps alone.

Vz navigator is not as good as third party software, nor updated as often. Why cram it down our throats?

02-18-09 04:59 PM
    I thought that VZ Nav was optional?
    02-18-09 05:03 PM
    The customer service is pretty good. I am tired of getting crippled phones because they want to sell an extra service. Enough is enouh - leave the inherent blue tooth and gps alone.

Vz navigator is not as good as third party software, nor updated as often. Why cram it down our throats?

Cause it their business and there decision IF choose to take then and enjoy it, so be it if not crying here does no good as you have the choice of other carriers that offer different things.

This just changed recently, but you could have been with Sprint and not have had MMS, and if you were, I an sure you would be in there forum crying about that to.

THank G_D we live in america and we do have choices.
    02-18-09 05:05 PM
    Cause it their business and there decision IF choose to take then and enjoy it, so be it if not crying here does no good as you have the choice of other carriers that offer different things.

This just changed recently, but you could have been with Sprint and not have had MMS, and if you were, I an sure you would be in there forum crying about that to.

THank G_D we live in america and we do have choices.
    Their choice? I grant you that, sort of like the original AT&T's "choice" to not allow anyone else to sell handsets for 50 years. However, first I do not TAKE. That implies that I am getting something for nothing. I pay over $200 a month for access to the VZW network. I bet any one of the cell companies would love to have my business. I give value for value. I would like the phone I purchased to work without some jackass disabling it.

Secondly, VZW is only the best of the worst. The only other industry that treats their customers as crappily as the cell providers is the airline industry. That is evidenced by your response that Sprint doesn't have MMS. We all know that the phone is capable, but yet another cell provider disables the ability of the phone Yet, we all had to pay the license fee for the technology we cannot use. (Each chip or technology is licensed, regardless of whether VZW lets us use it.)

And as for the crack about living in America and having choices. Great. Let's talk about regulation. Let's talk about incestuous relations between industry and government. Why is it the cell phone companies took about three years longer than Europe and Asia rolled out 3g to roll it out here? Why is it that AT&T Wireless' predecessor built a complete 3g network in Venezuela and sold it for about 30% of the build cost? But it hadn't built a network in its home market. Why? Because they could leave the old network in place and milk it longer. Because of the regulatory environment. That's why it might be possible for the industry to charge for your access to the internet and individual site access to you - in effect charging twice for the same service.

And, yes, I did work in telecom at one point.
    02-20-09 01:14 AM
    I called on sunday morning at 9 am and wanted to get the family and friends plan, mind you I am on the 700 minute plan, and the person I talked to said, you do not need this you have never gone over your minutes looking back at the last 5 months, I could not in good contions sell you something you do not need. See I love that now that is service. I have been with them 9 years and I will be with them for good... They aren't even in this part of the state! I am always in extended network, but I donk care they are better than the companys that are hear... Thanx sales rep. You are the best!

most companies will do that actually....I like my t-mobile, they take it a step farther...I had called in to change my plan because I knew I was going to go over in my minutes for the month. The CSR took a look at my account and decided that particular month was the only time I even came close to my minutes and I'm on a bargain plan, she didn't want me to have to change and risk losing my deal rate for a one month fluke so instead she gave me 200 bonus minutes to get me by for the month and sure enough haven't gotten close again...
    02-20-09 01:30 AM
    most companies will do that actually....I like my t-mobile, they take it a step farther...I had called in to change my plan because I knew I was going to go over in my minutes for the month. The CSR took a look at my account and decided that particular month was the only time I even came close to my minutes and I'm on a bargain plan, she didn't want me to have to change and risk losing my deal rate for a one month fluke so instead she gave me 200 bonus minutes to get me by for the month and sure enough haven't gotten close again...
    Now THAT was cool! WTG Tmo!
    02-20-09 08:05 AM
    Their choice? I grant you that, sort of like the original AT&T's "choice" to not allow anyone else to sell handsets for 50 years. However, first I do not TAKE. That implies that I am getting something for nothing. I pay over $200 a month for access to the VZW network. I bet any one of the cell companies would love to have my business. I give value for value. I would like the phone I purchased to work without some jackass disabling it.

Secondly, VZW is only the best of the worst. The only other industry that treats their customers as crappily as the cell providers is the airline industry. That is evidenced by your response that Sprint doesn't have MMS. We all know that the phone is capable, but yet another cell provider disables the ability of the phone Yet, we all had to pay the license fee for the technology we cannot use. (Each chip or technology is licensed, regardless of whether VZW lets us use it.)

And as for the crack about living in America and having choices. Great. Let's talk about regulation. Let's talk about incestuous relations between industry and government. Why is it the cell phone companies took about three years longer than Europe and Asia rolled out 3g to roll it out here? Why is it that AT&T Wireless' predecessor built a complete 3g network in Venezuela and sold it for about 30% of the build cost? But it hadn't built a network in its home market. Why? Because they could leave the old network in place and milk it longer. Because of the regulatory environment. That's why it might be possible for the industry to charge for your access to the internet and individual site access to you - in effect charging twice for the same service.

And, yes, I did work in telecom at one point.
    Great, FANTASTIC post!!! That is what people don't understand - being at the top (barely) in a poor industry does not mean much! Although I do believe you're also forgetting the cable companies in that regard as well

This stuff is really expensive...we deserve more from these companies.
    02-20-09 09:37 AM
    To the OP - if I knew I had unlimited calling to one person it would change things. My girlfriend is on Sprint and I would no longer have to watch my minutes as heavily.

Also, a simple look at your bill each month, or checking online would tell you whether or not you went over.
    02-20-09 09:39 AM
    Well this agruement no longer works.....Because Sprint unlike Verzion and Un-Locked GPS has Enable MMS for two weeks now. Sprint didnt disable MMS on BB because it was greedy for profit...it was disabled because Sprint uses a different MMS system then the standard that BB comes with so they need to create a Bridge before enabling it.....

So Sprint's 8330 isnt Crippled in Anyway Now!
    02-20-09 10:48 AM
    This stuff is really expensive...we deserve more from these companies.
    Maybe, maybe not. Expensive is relative & highly subjective.

I remember in the not too distant past, paying $49.99+taxes etc. for 120 minutes.

I also remember 3 minute phone calls from Los Angeles to New York costing about $4.90 with each additional minute being close to $1.25 or so. This was in 1960s money, too - you figure out the CPI.

You had to dial the number. Busy signals were commonplace as there was no such thing as CID, CW or VM.

Now $39.99 gets you 450 anytime minutes to anywhere in the US, Puerto Rico, USVI, etc. This works out to nine cents per minute. But wait, there is more. Besides those 450 minutes, you get unlimited nights, weekends & mobile-to-mobile. These add up to over 90% of my call traffic. So if you're like me (but scaled down to the 450 plan), you'd be down near one cent per minute AND get CID, CW, VM, CF & 3way.

If you don't like the price, switch. If you still don't like the price, switch again. If at that point you still don't like the price, cancel service, pay the ETF, and wander out to the nearest bridge, then launch the object of your disgust into oblivion. Tossing it out the window at freeway speeds also works well, but could add to your woes & expenses.

I used to own a game store, then a petshop. Everyday kids would come in and want discounts or freebies. Sorry kid, but if we give it to you, we have to give it to everyone - then I'd have no incentive to stay in business or to improve my offerings.

You may think cellphones are a necessity, but they aren't. In reality, they are luxuries; conveniences. As such, one can exist without them.

02-20-09 11:41 AM
    it was disabled because Sprint uses a different MMS system then the standard that BB comes with so they need to create a Bridge before enabling it.....!
    Huh?

It is the same CDMA system in use by VZW, with the same switches, made by the same companies.

Hey - when your Sprint phone roams, find out how much your GPS works then.

Also, I can't help but notice that Garmin & many others list Sprint devices as needing an external GPS solution.

It is a network/bandwidth issue. You want full GPS, then get a device that has it built in. If you're holding a device that requires a lot of data usage & bandwidth, don't be surprised when you're not offered it.

02-20-09 12:03 PM
    Are you kidding me? The Curve HAS a built in gps. The only time it uses data is when it pulls a map, which is when I ask it to. I also am paying for 5gb of data. How I use it isn't VZW's business, unless I am doing something illegal. And getting weatherbug to update the weather for where I am hardly constitutes an illegal activity.

In so far as asking for a deal, I am not. I pay a premium for the network coverage, and suffer the rest as a result. This will change when all carriers, other than sprint, are lte.

If I am paying a premium, I expect premium service. I won't grovel and beg. If I wasn't under contract, I would switch to sprint. See my first post.

Value for value.

02-20-09 01:07 PM
    Well there goes my positive post...lol

02-20-09 02:55 PM
    Its positive. But I'm miffed about the gps issue. Also, the speaker blast needs to be fixed.

02-20-09 03:01 PM
    Are you kidding me? The Curve HAS a built in gps. The only time it uses data is when it pulls a map, which is when I ask it to. I also am paying for 5gb of data. How I use it isn't VZW's business, unless I am doing something illegal. And getting weatherbug to update the weather for where I am hardly constitutes an illegal activity.
    No, I am not kidding you. Yes, the Curve has built-in GPS, but that GPS requires a data connection.

You have unlimited data for normal use on your BlackBerry. As long as you're not tethering, there is no 5GB limit. You've been reading too many posts on too many enthusiast sites where they mistakenly quote the tethering limit as the smartphone limit.

Your premise that your data use is none of VZWs business is false. They can and do have conditions that you signed off on regarding your data use. Just like you cannot run an Internet server or relay out of your home on most "unlimited" home broadband connections, you are resticted as to what you can do on the VZW network.

And before you again try that incorrect and long ago disproven bit of Sprint is holier than VZW, read Sprint's TOS. You will find they are harsher thab VZW and they reserve the right to not only curtail your data, but will even turn off your phone. Sprint is in the process of implementing a hard 5GB limit for all users.

AT&T has been working on cutting back data use since October.

You bought a Ferrari & now you're screaming that you can't take it offroad. Next time, get a Cayenne Turbo.

02-20-09 04:23 PM
    No, I am not kidding you. Yes, the Curve has built-in GPS, but that GPS requires a data connection.

You have unlimited data for normal use on your BlackBerry. As long as you're not tethering, there is no 5GB limit. You've been reading too many posts on too many enthusiast sites where they mistakenly quote the tethering limit as the smartphone limit.

Your premise that your data use is none of VZWs business is false. They can and do have conditions that you signed off on regarding your data use. Just like you cannot run an Internet server or relay out of your home on most "unlimited" home broadband connections, you are resticted as to what you can do on the VZW network.

And before you again try that incorrect and long ago disproven bit of Sprint is holier than VZW, read Sprint's TOS. You will find they are harsher thab VZW and they reserve the right to not only curtail your data, but will even turn off your phone. Sprint is in the process of implementing a hard 5GB limit for all users.

AT&T has been working on cutting back data use since October.

You bought a Ferrari & now you're screaming that you can't take it offroad. Next time, get a Cayenne Turbo.

First, I DO tether. (I would be glad to email a moderator my bill.) So I pay $60 per month for my data plan. Contrary to your ASSumption, I DID pay for 5 GB. Keep to what you know, not what you assume. As someone should have told you before, assuming does a certain thing.

Second, what I do with that is my business. Or should be. Reread my post about the incestuous relations of the phone companies and the FCC. That is the biggest problem here: rather than innovate and grow, the cell phone companies wish to stifle and bill.

I am not trying to run a server or business, which is an apples and oranges argument, I am trying to get weather bug to tell me what the temp and forecast is for where I am. Something that can be done with an 83XX on any other carrier.

While I am sure you mean well, you have no idea what you are talking about. I bought a phone that is capable of doing everything I outlined, and some control freak jackass at VZW thought it was a good idea to cripple it. And individuals, such as yourself, think this is ok. It isnt.
    02-20-09 08:41 PM
    No, you bought a service, agreed to the terms, and now want to whine about not getting something that has never been offered.

You are the one who hasn't a clue as to what you're talking about. As an independent contractor & comm engineer who has infrastructure contracts with all the major carriers (we even did some government contracts in Iraq), I do know the industry - in fact, I know some things about VZW better than the good VZW reps here - I can say the same about AT&T, T-Mobile & Sprint. They know billing & plans, but I know the infrastructure & talk with the engineers as part of my daily routine.

You can complain all you want. It doesn't change the fact you are asking for something that will never happen and that which you were never promised. Now suck it up and abide by what you agreed to without coercion. Whining & crying will get you nowhere, so knock off your repetitive & circular arguments.

02-20-09 09:04 PM
    No, you bought a service, agreed to the terms, and now want to whine about not getting something that has never been offered.

You are the one who hasn't a clue as to what you're talking about. As an independent contractor & comm engineer who has infrastructure contracts with all the major carriers (we even did some government contracts in Iraq), I do know the industry - in fact, I know some things about VZW better than the good VZW reps here - I can say the same about AT&T, T-Mobile & Sprint. They know billing & plans, but I know the infrastructure & talk with the engineers as part of my daily routine.

You can complain all you want. It doesn't change the fact you are asking for something that will never happen and that which you were never promised. Now suck it up and abide by what you agreed to without coercion. Whining & crying will get you nowhere, so knock off your repetitive & circular arguments.

Circular arguments? No, each point you have brought up has been addressed and you lost. First, I am "taking." Then you acknowledge I am buying. Now, it's TOS. The TOS says VZW can do what it wants with phones, with the approval of the FCC (they do get a say, right down to the TOS.) It's a snotty attitude for someone to think they know everything. Especially when they exhibit an inherent ignorance of the technology.

8330's use an INTERNAL GPS receiver to receive a signal from a low Earth orbit satellite. Unfortunately, for your argument, the wizards at VZW don't run the GPS network, the US DOD does. The 8330 uses the VZW network is when a map is needed, which most units get externally. The map download is minimal. So, it doesn't touch the network or use very many network resources. The unit does the heavy lifting itself.

If GPS were data intensive, which is your original argument, no carrier would allow it. It isn't. Coordinates are transferred, which is just a few bytes and sometimes, not every time a map received. Every other carrier allows access for GIS applications. And if you knew so much about engineering a telecom network, you would know that. I doubt you are a telecom engineer, as I have known quite a few.
    02-20-09 09:55 PM
    I am beginning to think we have one person with two personnas here - hey chump - you're not worth my time as it takes two of three things to have an intelligent conversation...

1) Intelligence

2) Logic/reasoning

3) Tact

While I have one & two down, I'll admit I am lacking on number three. You, on the other hand, obviously missed out on all three.

Yap all you want - I am joining several others here in adding you to my ignore list - just like I did with what I suspect is your other ID.
    02-20-09 10:47 PM
    I am beginning to think we have one person with two personnas here - hey chump - you're not worth my time as it takes two of three things to have an intelligent conversation...

1) Intelligence

2) Logic/reasoning

3) Tact

While I have one & two down, I'll admit I am lacking on number three. You, on the other hand, obviously missed out on all three.

Yap all you want - I am joining several others here in adding you to my ignore list - just like I did with what I suspect is your other ID.
    You are missing all three. Several others? Guess that is you and the mouse in your pocket? You are a moron. Got called on it. And, btw, I only have one ID.
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 02-20-09 at 11:31 PM.
    02-20-09 10:53 PM
    Probably the best feature they ever came out with is ignore...
    02-20-09 10:54 PM
    Probably the best feature they ever came out with is ignore...
    Lol this is getting good...anyone wanna make a beer run?
    02-20-09 10:57 PM
    I thought you were going to use it. Run away little internet commando. You got called on it. Hit the magic button and make it all go away!
    02-20-09 10:58 PM
    Lol this is getting good...anyone wanna make a beer run?
    That is about the only way I could tolerate Mr "Engineer." Massive amounts of alcohol...
    02-20-09 10:59 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD