This is a true story...last week, my 2nd call of the day (tech support call) is the sweetest old lady wanting to learn how to text message....from a STARTAC 7868!!!! Could this be the final Startac operating on VZW's network?!?!?!?

After I delivered the heartbreaking news that her ST 7868 is not 2way txt capable, I also advised her that we killed the analog network last year. She was wondering why her reception was a "little" different.

She is now phone shopping Blackberries just to show off to her granddaughters....this was such a comic relief!!!

To add to my rant...I really do love VZW customers. Yall keep me employed!
    02-24-09 08:34 PM
    Go granny, go granny, go granny go.
    02-24-09 09:04 PM
    if it wasnt for u saying "last week" I would of thought u spoke with my mother...lol
    02-24-09 10:45 PM
    i upgraded her startac this christmas to an lg lol
    02-24-09 10:45 PM
    WOW good stuff...keep em coming.
    02-24-09 10:47 PM
    You just have to love them. Especially when you're related to them.

Last year sometime, my mother calls me & tells me her VZW flip phone wasn't holding a charge as well as it used to. She asked me how much a new battery cost. Knowing her NE2 was about up, I told her that there were probably better options than buying a new battery.

From the best of my recollection - bear in mind my mother is approaching 80 & shows no sign of senility - she retired from Qwest as a fiber-optics line tech after she turned 70 & is all of 105 pounds soaking wet.

Mom: Yes, but what should I get?
    Me: Well mom, you don't want anything fancy, do you?

Mom: Well honey, no, but you really like your BlackBerrys. Should I get one?
    Me: NO!

Mom: Well, why not?
    Me: Mom, you never wanted a computer. I offered to buy you one - a small one even.

Mom: Well, yes, you know I don't like all that online stuff.
    Me: Then you don't need a BlackBerry, mom. You're too old to be jumping on the BB bandwagon for kicks like all the kids & soccer moms out there.

Mom: True, so what should I get?
    Me: Well mom, you hate text messaging.

Mom: Yes, I think that is the dumbest thing anyone would want to do with their phone. I'd rather call.
    Me: Okay. You haven't changed lately & decided that earbuds & MP3 music are your thing, have you?

Mom: No, of course not. I don't like iPods or anything like your kids have.
    Me: I didn't think so. How many pictures have you taken lately?

Mom: None. I don't even use the digital camera you gave me much.
    Me: Perfect, mom - so you just want a basic flip phone, right?

Mom: Yes, just one that makes calls, sounds good and has a good battery.
    Me: Perfect. You probably need the Verizon Coupe.

Mom: What's that?
    Me: It is a basic flip phone without frills. It has a larger than normal number display to make it easier to see what you're dialing.

Mom: Does it cost a lot?
    Me: No mom, with your NE2, I think it is free.

Mom: So i should get one? What if I don't like it?
    Me: Tell you what. You stop by the Verizon store by your house & check them out, then call me.

The next night, she calls me - she just lives across town.

Mom: What do you think about the Voyager?
    Me: For you? You're kidding, right?

Mom: But it looked nice.
    Me: No mom. Way too much phone for you. Did you look at the Coupe?

Mom: No, I couldn't remember the name of it.
    Me: Okay mom - Coupe, as opposed to sedan.

Mom: Okay. I'll go back there tomorrow.

Next night, she calls me again

Mom: What do you think about the enV?
    Me: No, it is a text messaging phone. You don't need all that. Did you check out the Coupe?

Mom: Not really, but they had another phone. It is a flip phone and the screen opens one way and then another. I thought it looked nice, but I don't know when I'd ever use the swivel screen.
    Me: Okay mom, if you don't want to tell me you didn't like the Coupe, there are some others we could look at for you, but you don't want the Samsung either. It is like the enV.

Mom: Okay, I'll go back tomorrow & give the Coupe a try.
    Me: Great. If you have any questions while you're there, call me.

Day three of the great phone search comes and my phone rings late morning.

Mom: Hey son, they have this really nice phone down here. Its called the Pearl.
    Me: NO MOM! That's a BLACKBERRY with a mutant keyboard! Who is down there trying to sell you something you don't need?

Mom: No one. I tell them I am just looking and that my son has to approve of what I get & they leave me alone unless I have questions.
    Me: Okay - I was about ready to tell them that if they sold you a BlackBerry, I'd cancel my service & cut power to a few towers.

Mom: Son, don't say that...
    Me: I know mom, was just kidding. What do you think of the Coupe?
    Mom: They are out of them.
    Me: Great. Mom, look around & play with all the phones. I'll come by later & we can talk about it. I can show you the phones on my laptop.

Mom: Okay, I am just getting very confused. All the phones have all these features I don't need.
    Me: I know mom - we'll figure it out.

I stop by after work as promised.

Me: Here you go mom, some nice, basic flips from LG, Samsung & Nokia. They can all text and most have a camera, but its okay - you don't have to worry about that.

Mom: I really like that Nokia Black Knight Edition - it is very attractive.
    Me: That is a Batman movie edition phone mom, but hey - it is only $9.99 with your NE2. Should we order it?

Mom: No, let me think about it. I really have enjoyed my LG phones. I don't know about Nokia.
    Me: Okay mom, we'll talk more tomorrow.

Several days pass & she doesn't make up her mind. I don't push because she still has another few days before her NE2 matures. I get busy and kind of forget about it.

One afternoon, she calls me at work.

Mom: Don't be mad at me son - I ordered a new phone.
    Me: Really? Which one?

Mom: Well, I remembered the one I saw in the store and on your laptop - it looked very nice and it was an LG.
    Me: Okay mom, that's fine - LG is a good phone. Which model did you order?

Mom: Well, I remember that the price in the store was more expensive than what we saw on your computer, so I called. They promised me they could match the price.
    Me: Yes, but mom, you'll have to deal with any rebates yourself.

Mom: That's okay. I don't mind waiting a bit and the sale probably helped the nice young lady I sopke with on the phone.
    Me: What upgrades did she sell you?

Mom: Actually, she tried to talk me out of the phone and did talk me out of a higher price plan.
    Me: Okay mom - what did you order?

Mom: An LG Chocolate3. The color was so pretty and it is nice and slim.
    Me: But, but mom - that is a media phone. It is designed as a MUSIC PHONE!

Mom: I know, but I don't have to use it as a music phone.
    Me: Okay - fair enough. Did they lower the price?

Mom: Yes. in the store it was $99.99 and online it was $79.99, but the representative offered it to me for free.
    Me: After rebates?

Mom: No. She said the rebate was on top of that.
    Me: Okay - I'll believe it when I see it.

Mom: No really son. She said that since we were such good customers, she would do that.
    Me: Hey nice job mom!

Of course, mom's phone is on my personal account.

Mom: The Verizon rep told me the phone could use a memory card.
    Me: Did she sell you one?

Mom: No, she said it was for music and she didn't feel comfortable selling me one. I can't help but wonder though why they'd have it on there if I wouldn't need it? Should I buy one anyway?

I grabbed an 8GB card out of my desk, loaded it up with pix of her grandkids & great grandchildren, a few good ringtones and tossed it in my briefcase.

Mom: honey, will you come over & transfer my numbers and set up my new phone? It is supposed to be here Friday.
    Me: Sure mom - that's day after tomorrow - I'll come by.

When i get there, the phone had been in the box since the day before - VZW got her the phone in one day instead of two. I transferred the information from old to new phone (I love BitPIM), installed the new card, showed her how to work it & how to access her pictures. She was thrilled, as was I - no more phone questions for two years!

Mom: Honey, how do I put music on my phone?
    Me: ARGH!

Needless to say - sometimes the phone reps get saved much of the heavy customer service lifting.
    02-24-09 11:21 PM
    lol gotta love the seniors
    02-24-09 11:34 PM
    Wow a startac! That phone is so old! I still remember when I had one! Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 11:38 PM
    That startac story is sweet!

02-25-09 02:13 AM
    Twins..your story had me laughing my a$$ off!!! That dreaded Coupe! No lie..here's a funny one. Xmas of 2007..my mother has been using myh andme downs for the past 3 years. She was using a Moto E815 and the V710 prior to that. She wanted something with bigger buttons. So i give her the Coupe for Xmas that year. She was OFFENDED!!! She that the worse of me after that all year long. She wanted something with bigger buttons and bigger display, camera..thought this was the best choice for her. So she took back her E815, kept it til this past Xmas. She's been eyeing my wife's enV2 the months leading up to Xmas so I got her one, the pretty maroon one. What a nightmare!!! She called me everyday in January from her home phone line cause she didnt understand the keygaurd on it and that she just had to press the OK button to unlock it.

To make a long story short, she reactivated her E815 on Feb 1st and she is keeping it til it DIES!!!
    02-25-09 07:18 AM
    ROFL, this is a great thread! I keep threatening to get my mom the jitterbug, but she tells me she doesn't want an old lady phone! The other day my 15 year old nephew turned her on to ringback tones, and now she's hooked. I'm like "mom you know that cost extra right?" She told me she just won't tell my dad about it. I said ok I won't tell if you don't.
    02-25-09 07:50 AM
    I love verizon reps!
    02-25-09 07:57 AM
    LMAO! WTF is a startac? It must have been long before my time. My dad says he wants a BB. He has a RAZR and has trouble using that. It would be so hilarious seeing him use a BB--My brother and I have converted just about everyone in our family. He is the last one...but what a laugh!
    02-25-09 09:19 AM
    Great thread and stories! Btw, I'm 69+ years old and longing for my first BB and smart phone, the Storm. And no, I don't need the Coupe.

I've been reading almost all of the Storm threads since Nov, 2008; the good and the bad. My NE2 doesn't activate until May, 2009.
    02-25-09 10:27 AM
    My mother opts for the phone that can take as much damage as you can dish out. She now has this Casio deal that is water proof because she drops her phones in the toilet and it has this shockproof feature where you can drop it and it doesn't break. The sucker is a flip phone and it's big. I don't even know what the model is.
    02-25-09 10:32 AM
    twins your story is GREAT because my mom is the EXACT SAME WAY. lol. she's a little more tech savvy than your mom (lives and breathes email), so when we got her a blackberry, she was stoked... except every now and then i get a bbm asking questions like "how do i turn my blackberry off?" oh lord...
    02-25-09 11:24 AM
    That's the g z'one or something like that. That was my last phone--sounded like crap and the camera was a joke but MAN that phone took a beating and I never had any trouble with it at all.

We switched that phone to the kids' line.
    02-25-09 11:41 AM
    startac sounds like something you take for indigestion or something...lol
    02-25-09 11:47 AM
    I remember my Startac on the old Bell-Atlantic network. As far as BB's go I'm on my first for about 2 weeks now, My parents have had them for a while though and just upgraded to the Sprint/Nextel Curve (both are in their late 60's) I won't leave Verizon though, I have had nothing but good luck with them.
    02-25-09 11:59 AM
    Ah the Startac, it was the first true flip phone and it was out before they were really popular. Some use to call it the Star Trek phone. Here's a wiki on it...

Motorola StarTAC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    02-25-09 12:03 PM
    Wow. That's was a great story. You go granny!!!
    02-25-09 01:39 PM
    62 here: Current phones, BlackBerry Storm, iphone, and HTC Tilt. No signs of slowing down. I would die before using a Jitterbug, UGH!!!
    02-25-09 02:04 PM
    62 here: Current phones, BlackBerry Storm, iphone, and HTC Tilt. No signs of slowing down. I would die before using a Jitterbug, UGH!!!
    FTR I was ONLY teasing my mom, HOWEVER she's not a BB person, but she loves her feature phone. Her and my 16 year old niece exchange text messages all day.
    02-25-09 05:25 PM
    Twins I loved ur littl story bout ur mom-she sounds like a sweet woman! Lucky you!
    I enjoyd reading all the thread here! And my story is I'm 40 just got my 1st bb in dec08 AND I FINALLY GOT MY MOM & DAD TO GET TXING!! WOOT WOOT! And they r 64 & 62 years yung AND got my mom here very 1st txing phone-the env2! She actly was eyeing up my bb& I was like no ul go crazy with it! The env2 fits her nicely she's a txing fiend now! My dad is gettin one too now! YEAH!

02-25-09 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD