I am a loyal Verizon customer. Staying through the Curve --> Storm --> now back to the Curve and in May --> Niagara, all while resisting the ATT switch.

I am also quite nice to the customer service reps/workers because hey, we've all been there.

But I've had three experiences lately, that I'll describe in light detail, and then move to my larger question:

1. My email stopped pushing from gmail to the 8330. Had it not been for CB.com and people telling me possible solutions for the person to try, the Verizon person on the phone (this being the upper-level tech support) was telling me I had *too many* emails in the box. CB.com users quickly dismissed this, and I knew it was not true, as I have had MORE emails in my box before, and as 100% evident by the fact the issue was fixed and I now have even *more* emails in the box than when I called, this was clearly incorrect. However, the Verizon worker was willing to leave this as the answer, had I not pushed.

2. Asked the person in the store to do a hard reset and move contacts from one phone to another. They forgot.

3. When switching the contacts between two phones, the customer service guy did as asked, but when we got the phones back, they both had the same address book on the phone. He was unwilling to concede that he may had been the problem, suggesting there was perhaps something "in the machine" causing the problem. I'm sorry, but as someone with even the slightest tech background, it's clear these machines do not have souls as much as we'd like them to at times, and it doesn't just mysteriously fail in some fluke, .000001% out of 10,000,000 tries that often.

Turns out, what he had done was not move the address books into different phones, but combined the books and put them on both phones. Meaning, we came in with two phones, two books and got two phones both with the SAME combined books. Then was "unaware" what went wrong.

Now, I love VZW coverage and most of my interaction with the company has been great, but given these errors, I am concerned that in the future, there might be a larger problem, and Verizon will do the "well, it's not us" or "we can't help you" kind of response. Especially with #1, which really ticked me off because I had to be kind of harsh with the person and tell them they were *wrong*, which is aggressive and against the general "Dealing with service reps" strategy that everyone, including the VZW worker who posted on this site, would recommend.

In the future, with these problems, how should I deal with Verizon when they have clearly made a mistake or are simply wrong?

Are my experiences different from others?
    11-28-08 12:21 AM
    This is going to happen on occasion with ANY company. Verizon, att, tmo, cox, srp... Anyone. The thing to remember is that our CS reps are human beings. They make errors, too, and sometimes are less than willing to admit a mistake or defeat. If you know they are wrong, politely point this out and explain why you feel this way. There's honestly not a whole lot else you can do. I would not, however, worry about this ballooning into an even larger issue. Hey - things happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 12:25 AM
    While this is quite obvious that any human institution will be prone to human errors (from NFL QBs to McDonalds), I take particular worry when the institution has such a monopoly over my life. I use my phone *all of the time* as is the case with most Americans. So, like a car company, perhaps the computer/internet service provider, and maybe a medical device, the phone is something I want to have work 100% of the time and if not I want there to be someone that fixes the problem.

I'm just afraid of how many times lately I've had those "human errors" with Verizon, ESPECIALLY when they are resorting to in my opinion, cop-out justifications ("your email is full") instead of admitting to not knowing and passing me on to someone else.
    11-28-08 12:32 AM
    You might also keep in mind that your contacts are really your responsibility. Transferring contacts is a service provided as a courtesy, but it's the cutomers responsibility to maintain them.

I keep my contacts backed up on my computer. You are provided the means to do it when you purchased the phone.

While it sucks that your contacts got messed up, the situation with the contacts could have been avoided had you been a little more proactive.

Also, did you contact Blackberry about your gmail issues. If the phone was doing everything else correctly, then VZW was likely performing their function. The issue with the gmail could have been related to RIM/Blackberry directly.

Keep in mind that VZW does not manufacture the phones. They just provide the service. They also, as a courtesy, try to provided troubleshooting and warranty coverage. Most of the time when something isn't working right it's because of a phone issue, not a network issue.
    Last edited by JDnLou; 11-28-08 at 12:48 AM.
    11-28-08 12:33 AM
    I understand. The bad part about vzw CS, and most likely the other major carriers, is that their reps are generally pretty clueless about blackberries. They have not been extensively trained, if at all, on these devices. I have friends in verizon CS, and they say that they just literally have the user manual that comes up on their computer and that is what they troubleshoot from. Its ridiculous. The majority of blackberry issues are not addressed in the user manual. Period. I rarely call in for tech support on any of my blackberries - only when I'm sure its a network issue. Its for sure a pain in the a*s to tell a rep all the troubleshooting you've already done, just to have them make you go theough it all over again. I've even had a tech support rep tell me I was a liar and I was just trying to get a new phone when I had issues with my last curve and he couldn't fix them. The way I look at it is that I am fully capable of resolving 99.9 percent of my own issues, and vzw's coverage is amazing, so why sweat it.

11-28-08 12:37 AM
    I suppose the address book is my responsibility, but I won't get into the phone issues and various promises made to members of my family regarding returns and address book swaps that moots that point. I appreciate your defense of VZW, but it's not really getting to the BIG PICTURE point I'm making here.

As for the post above this: indeed, scary. What I don't like is that my email can one day STOP WORKING and for NO REASON AT ALL I might not be able to fix the issue, because Verizon doesn't know what to do and Blackberry isn't exactly something I can just go drive up to in my car.
    11-28-08 12:43 AM
    I wouldn't honestly worry about that. It hasn't happened, likely won't, and really all you can do is educate yourself so that you will be able to fix your device if that does happen. I honestly just don't think this will turn into the huge issue you are predicting.

11-28-08 12:52 AM
    I suppose the address book is my responsibility, but I won't get into the phone issues and various promises made to members of my family regarding returns and address book swaps that moots that point. I appreciate your defense of VZW, but it's not really getting to the BIG PICTURE point I'm making here.

As for the post above this: indeed, scary. What I don't like is that my email can one day STOP WORKING and for NO REASON AT ALL I might not be able to fix the issue, because Verizon doesn't know what to do and Blackberry isn't exactly something I can just go drive up to in my car.
    So, VZW reps are the bad guys by default? You have access to them and not the folks at RIM, so therefore it's VZWs fault.

RIM is just a phone call away.
    11-28-08 12:54 AM
    Verizon in my mind has assumed some degree of "responsibility" after selling me the the phone under the pretense of ALSO having customer service. I had a problem, called the customer service, and instead of them saying it went past the limit of their services, gave me incorrect information.

I don't know if it was a VZW network problem (and therefore a Verizon problem) or an internal BB problem (where calling RIM is a better option), but I'm not making a legal claim against Verizon for poor customer service where I have some sort of "right" they've violated; simply, as a customer, I wish what they provided did not fail in these instances and more importantly in this manner (obsfucating their handling).
    11-28-08 01:28 AM
    All big companies have crap customer service. Dell, HP, Verizon, TMO. It's sort of the nature of becoming big business. You outsource a lot of your CS to a call center and give them an FAQ to answer customer's problems.

There's gonna be pros and cons to dealing with any carrier, the pro with Verizon is they have great coverage (in the U.S.) The cons are: crap CS (depending on your issue), no WIFI on blackberries, and no GPS on blackberries. Basically, it's about making a decision to hand your money over to, while still being as happy as possible with what you're getting, but there will always be trade-offs.
    11-28-08 01:32 AM
    Agreed on the last post. I boy, do I love that coverage

Any VZW reps on here want to advise me on the issue I had, specifically #1 with the email? If it happens again, I can't have them give me such a bad answer.
    11-28-08 09:38 AM
    I have seen and talk to rim and yes too many emails in an box on the main server and this is for any provider can cause push problems with a Blackberry device. Sometimes trouble shooting takes many steps to remove a problem and several calls to do it.

The info given but the rep is not wrong but one of many potential problems. I was not there to see what else was done for you at the time of call. But I also do thes for a living for vzw.

I do not doubt that wrong info is given by reps with all that we need to know. To error is human and we all are.

If all ts has been done and the rep cannot solve it, they will get you to rim at vzw cost. There is a difference between cs and ts reps. Most vzw reps love what they and from time to time a cs rep will bite off a bit more than they should and the ts reps for the most part know their stuff.

This industry also has high turn over so if get less tenured rep please work with them to get an issued resolved.

Best of luck. If the email issue is not resolved. Ask to be xfered to rim.

11-28-08 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD