01-05-09 05:16 PM
31 12
tools
    OK, also old enough to remember the Kennedy/MLK assasinations, and I have NO idea what they have to do with the Pearl.....I also don't understand the "snob" factors that other BB owners have re the Pearl--you don't like them, don't GET them, but my Pearl does everything that most of the other BBs do--so how utterly ridiculous to put someone down because they don't have what you have.
    No idea? Maybe you should ask around. You might find that the under 30 crowd is generally much more comfortable with predictive text technologies than the over 30 crowd. Then there is the issue with the smaller screens when it comes to older eyes. It really doesn't take much imagination to understand why those of us old enough to remember the 50s & 60s might have trouble with a Pearl.

As for size, those of us who are older loved our old Moto bricks because they didn't need a shoulder bag. Place a Pearl next to a Curve & you'll notice only a difference in width - something my large hands & propensity to shoulder my phone appreciate.

Couple all of this with the fact I've been using BBs & other smartphones since long before every soccer mom & teen just had to have a Pearl & you might understand why being old enough to remember the Kennedys & MLK might mean something.

If you like the Pearl, good for you. For me, if the Pearl were the only phone RIM made, I'd be carrying a WinMo device.

No elitism here. I simply prefer function to form.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 05:48 PM
    Today I had a coworker come in with her new Curve for Alltel, she needed some help in learning about the BB functions and setting up email and so on. So i had an opportunity to mess with the Curve while I was helping her. And to be honest I think i preferred my Pearl on Verizon better. Maybe I just got quick with the suretype and got used to the size but man I really thought this would make my obsession worse, in wanting the Curve for Verizon. But I think i came to the realization that I want to hold out for either the Bold or the rumored Thunder. I know I am in the minority and i'm sure the curve is great but i guess i am hoping there are others out there that are sticking with the pearl.

I don't send long full emails often so the suretype isn't such a pain to me. Either way I am turning into such an addict, it really is embarrassing. She (my coworker) was asking me a question about how to get out the messenger or something like that and i could tell her what order to push buttons to get to where she wanted with out even looking, lol.
    Wow. I'm shocked. I really don't care for my friends' pearls. I mean, I love that it's a BB, but the screen is just too small and I can't type on SureType to save my life. But to each their own!
    12-21-08 08:19 PM
    No idea? Maybe you should ask around. You might find that the under 30 crowd is generally much more comfortable with predictive text technologies than the over 30 crowd. Then there is the issue with the smaller screens when it comes to older eyes. It really doesn't take much imagination to understand why those of us old enough to remember the 50s & 60s might have trouble with a Pearl.

As for size, those of us who are older loved our old Moto bricks because they didn't need a shoulder bag. Place a Pearl next to a Curve & you'll notice only a difference in width - something my large hands & propensity to shoulder my phone appreciate.

Couple all of this with the fact I've been using BBs & other smartphones since long before every soccer mom & teen just had to have a Pearl & you might understand why being old enough to remember the Kennedys & MLK might mean something.

If you like the Pearl, good for you. For me, if the Pearl were the only phone RIM made, I'd be carrying a WinMo device.

No elitism here. I simply prefer function to form.

I 'get' what the under 30 crowd is used to as opposed to the over 30 crowd--I have a 6 yr old nephew who uses electronics as if they were in the womb with him.....I guess I have a problem with the whole generalization of what those of us "over 30" can and cannot do.

I do understand that there is a difference in width between the Pearl and other BBs, and I also agree that whichever phone floats your boat is the one you should use--but non-pearl users seem to take a singular DELIGHT in bashing this particular phone--and I don't underSTAND that.

I will grant you that my eyes aren't what they used to be--but that is why there are larger fonts-lol We learn what is important to us--I wanted a Pearl, so I learned to use Predictive text...and don't have a problem with it. It may be that if the 8900 ever comes to ATT, I might try it, and fall in love with it--but I never have and never WILL bash someone else's choice in a phone.

As for "form over function"--the Pearl functions every bit as well as any other BB, or it would not have as many devotees as it does.

And now, these old eyes are going to enlarge the print and read some more-LOL
    12-22-08 04:25 PM
    Ridiculous is getting your panties in a bunch over your own device insecurity. You could cure it the way I do - own all of them. Yes, I mean all.

Well, as much as I love bb's I have other things to do with my money......lucky you to have that much cash to throw away.....and my 'panties' were not in a bunch over MY device 'insecurity'--though I am flattered that you have nothing better to do than consider the state of my panties.

Happy Holidays!
    12-23-08 06:25 PM
    I've had my Pearl for just over a year now and I have to say, I love it. I am a techno junkie, and always want the latest/greatest, but for a phone/PDA, the Pearl is the shiznit! I have looked at other BB's, but they all are bigger than I want to have to carry, with the exception of the Storm. Yes, the SureType takes some getting used to, but once used to it I found that I could type out a txt message or email quicker on it than on a full QWERTY. Now, granted, I have done a little editing in the suretype dictionary, but I not a whole lot. One of the things that I had to learn was to NOT look at the screen when typing until AFTER the message was done, then, if need be, go back and edit, but thats very rare that I need to. I also have found that with the OtterBox case, it is a damn near indestructable device!
    You took the words out of my mouth on several points....the other BB's are too big for my tastes, and I have also found that if I just type a message without obsessing over it, it is usually right and needs very little editing. And, I also have an Otterbox Defender.....EXCELLENT case!

The other BB's are very nice....so, please, nobody misunderstand me....and, who knows, one day I may have a Curve or a Bold, or whatever other model strikes my fancy.....BUT after handling and using all 3, the Pearl is best for ME right now....LOVE IT.

Bottom line, I like the fact that there are so many different BB models out there.....that way, everybody can find one that they like and that meets their own personal needs.
    01-04-09 09:04 PM
    I have a Pearl and have no desire for the Curve, or even the Bold! I love the size and find it uncomfortable when I use a Curve or other BB model. I'll probably keep my Pearl as long as it has life!
    I feel the same
    01-05-09 05:16 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD