I am with Alltel, and I am wanting the BB Tour, when it comes out, but the thing is, I don't want an overpriced Verizon plan, so if I purchased that phone at retail price, could I activate it and stay on my Alltel plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 01:36 AM
    Not too familiar with how it works, but if you were to purchase a VZW Curve, could you use that on Alltel? If yes, then I wouldn't see why you wouldnt be able to do the same on the Tour.
    06-21-09 01:39 AM
    Wouldn't it need to be flashed over to work properly?
    06-21-09 01:43 AM
    From what I understand, once you purchase a vzw deice they will place you on to the VZW plans. Alltel plans will, over time be a thing of the past

06-21-09 01:48 AM
    I know, but see if I buy it at full price and just change the ESN on the account, nothing should change

The thing is Alltel activates by putting the ESN on the account, if you get a new phone they dont know what kind of phone it is, they just change the ESN on the account

Idk, if Verizon uses this same method or not

06-21-09 01:55 AM
    I wish Verizon would have adpoted some of Alltels plans

Alltel - 900 minutes for $60

Verizon - 700 minutes for $80

This merger was not a good deal for the customers, I still to this day, do not understand why the FCC approved it

06-21-09 01:59 AM
    i have no idea if this info will be any help at all but, ive done a lot of verizon phone activations over the years and when you activate a phone and give verizon the ESN they know what kind of phone it is (once again you all may know this already) seeing as verizon has most of alltel now, alltel will most likely know if its one of their phones or verizon's, the only way i know of getting around this issue would be buying the tour and unlock it and then activate the unlocked tour on alltel, but hey thats just me,
    06-21-09 02:00 AM
    but once again i may be completely wrong about that, correct me if i am wrong
    06-21-09 02:02 AM
    i have no idea if this info will be any help at all but, ive done a lot of verizon phone activations over the years and when you activate a phone and give verizon the ESN they know what kind of phone it is (once again you all may know this already) seeing as verizon has most of alltel now, alltel will most likely know if its one of their phones or verizon's, the only way i know of getting around this issue would be buying the tour and unlock it and then activate the unlocked tour on alltel, but hey thats just me,
    I think unlocking the phone only unlocks the GSM portion of the device...
    06-21-09 02:03 AM
    you CAN unlock the CDMA but its impractical, i just did a little research and found that the only way to really put a phone from verizon onto alltel is to call alltel with the ESN of the not activated tour and see if they'll activate it, if not i guess youre SOL, depending on your area thou your alltel may become verizon, where i live that isnt the case, i apologize if i caused any confusion
    06-21-09 02:12 AM
    I am in the same place as Alltels HQ, and they put up a Verizon sign on it the other day, so I am going to be a VZW customer

I hope the Tour comes out before July 12th

06-21-09 02:16 AM
    Do you work for Alltel or something?

And do you have any inside info as to when the Tour will come out

06-21-09 02:41 AM
    Alltel conversion customers won't be able to activate any VZW smartphone equipment on their current Alltel legacy plans, regardless of the price purchased or if it falls off the back of a truck. Once the conversion goes through the devices will only work for voice network calls and data will be nil, and if you flash different software onto them you're going to void the warranty.
    06-21-09 10:23 AM
    I wish Verizon would have adpoted some of Alltels plans

Alltel - 900 minutes for $60

Verizon - 700 minutes for $80

This merger was not a good deal for the customers, I still to this day, do not understand why the FCC approved it

wtf are you talking about? First of all, verizon doesnt have a 700 minute single line plan. The 700 minute family share is 69.99 for 2 lines.
    06-21-09 11:22 AM
    ...and the 900 minute plan is 59.99 on verizon.
    06-21-09 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD