ok, this is for my cousin, she tethers an Alltel VE20 and its kind of slow, so what I did is load a Verizon PRL on there and it works a lot faster, partly because Verizon's network in Arkansas is not as congested as Alltel's, but anyway, it says ALLTEL EXTENDED, so technically it thinks its roaming, but since Alltel and Verizon merged, I was wondering if this would cause any issues with roaming charges. And yes she is a Verizon customer now, non-divested.
    11-01-09 09:32 AM
    ok, this is for my cousin, she tethers an Alltel VE20 and its kind of slow, so what I did is load a Verizon PRL on there and it works a lot faster, partly because Verizon's network in Arkansas is not as congested as Alltel's, but anyway, it says ALLTEL EXTENDED, so technically it thinks its roaming, but since Alltel and Verizon merged, I was wondering if this would cause any issues with roaming charges. And yes she is a Verizon customer now, non-divested.
    IF the phone is using a VZW tower, then no she will not be charged roaming. It shows extended roam because the home SID does not match with the PRL and the phone thinks it is outside the home area.

Also on a technical note: The phone would be still going through Alltel PDSN and switch so you probably won't notice any difference. Besides - VZW doesn't really have a strong network in Arkansas - Alltel did. That's why no one in AR became divested on either side.
    11-01-09 09:49 AM
    I tested it already, Alltel tower got about 300kbps and Verizon got about 800kbps

Actually Alltel gets a slightly higher signal, but still

Also with my aircard at my grandparents, I get anywhere from 800-1600, but I lock it onto Verizon and get over 2200

And yes it will be on a Verizon tower, so no roaming charges on data or calling, right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD