Don't upgrade the OS until you have support!

I had done a free trial of BBSmart which had expired. I upgraded to OS 4.5, but kept getting reminders to buy BBSmart. I thought that maybe I had not uninstalled the BBSmart trial software. I deleted what I thought was the right program...it wasn't. I had to reinstall OS 4.2 which took the part of an hour. I then had to re-set up email and make sure everything was how it was supposed to be.

Luckily I'm OK. I've sent some test emails and surfed a bit. I guess there's a reason why people say don't upgrade until you're sure you know what you're doing!
    10-11-08 09:23 PM
    Part of the reason I'm waiting until Verizon releases it directly. I sure don't blame you though. I get very tired of waiting on Verizon.
    10-11-08 09:38 PM
    Hi Jane, Glad you're up & running ok! By sharring your story, I will cont. to be a chicken & wait. I bet you were pretty nervous for a time.
    10-11-08 09:42 PM
    Well I wish I had learned more about the future issues I was going to have. This morning I went to text my husband and my entire address book was gone! It was in Outlook, but wouldn't sync over. I called tech support and we found out that in the sync options it was only doing a one way sync.

I've had enough excitement for one day. To top it off, when I checked my OS version with Blackberry it said I was running the most current version. I'm assuming that my next upgrade will not go smoothly.

I can only hope that things will get better!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-08 09:58 AM
    Hi Jane, Glad you're up & running ok! By sharring your story, I will cont. to be a chicken & wait. I bet you were pretty nervous for a time.
    My thoughts exactly! Hope your phone continues to be working ok Jane.

I too have been waiting for official release....to chicken to try the beta. I'd rather not have it, then have it not working!
    10-12-08 10:05 AM
    Sorry to hear you had those issues. I guess to each his own on whether to try the betas or not..I personally LOVE the beta for my phone. The streaming youtube videos, HTML emails, and Docs to go made it well worth the risk for me.
    10-12-08 10:11 AM
    I can watch youtube videos on my phone now and I have the 4.3 version on my phone.
    10-12-08 11:57 AM
    I also stil have 4.3 as well, and I'm able watch youtube videos. I use Empower to compensate for lack of html Email feature in 4.3.

10-12-08 12:19 PM
    Did you do a backup before you did all this? If so you can restore your address book on desktop manager. Go to backup and do advanced. Then pull up your backup and do a restore.

10-12-08 12:24 PM
    If you back up your Address Book, Calendar, and anything else you want to save, short of running the BB over there is nothing you can't fix with the help of others on the forums. I have wipe and re-installed many OS versions on my BB. The main thing you need to do is back it up.
    10-12-08 12:31 PM
    And in my opinion BB Smart and Empower have nothing on the native HTML Email. It is just good. To me there is no reason to install a third party app which takes up space for something the BB already does.
    10-12-08 12:32 PM
    I'm way too much of a scaredy cat to upgrade until it comes from my provider. The thought of a bricked BB keeps me in stasis.
    10-12-08 12:33 PM
    And in my opinion BB Smart and Empower have nothing on the native HTML Email. It is just good. To me there is no reason to install a third party app which takes up space for something the BB already does.
    -----
    That was my thinking when I tried the beta. I don't want to pay for any 3rd party software apps for things the OS upgrade would give to me. So backing up my information and trying the upgrade was a easy price to pay. Haven't had a problem since.
    10-12-08 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD