Here's my situation:
    I have a verizon Blackberry curve 8330 that is more of a loaner phone for right now that verizon gave me becaues my storm sucked. Now with the tour being out i can get that for $150.00 and sign a new agreement which is fine. I went into the verizon store yesterday and minus the small stupid things people are talking about with the battery cover moving a bit and the screen rippling its a very nice and very fast phone esp on the net.
    My girlfriend has an iphone. Im paying almost $200 in cell phone bills between my single plan with verizon and her single plan with ATT. I can get the curve 8900 however that phone isnt 3g and im afraid of it not being as fast on the browser and just not being as good as the tour. They are both the same money but with verizon you get the money off instantly online. WIth att you pay up front and then get a prepaid card thing with the $100 on it.
    I looked at getting the bold which is 3g but that phone is huge and not a big fan of having a phone that big.
    So someone help me. I can stay with verizon get the tour and hopefully be happy with it. Or I can cancel my contract go to att get the 8900 and have a cheaper bill every month by about 45-50 a month.
    So somoeone help what would they do./...
    07-14-09 08:57 AM
    Just get a Tour its a great phone. Sorry you had so much trouble with the Storm. I must be the only person that has never had a prb with mine.

Good luck!!
    07-14-09 09:06 AM
    I LOVE my storm!! It hasn't given me any trouble.. I just wish I could get rid of the pre-installed pics and music..
    07-14-09 09:20 AM
    Just get a Tour its a great phone. Sorry you had so much trouble with the Storm. I must be the only person that has never had a prb with mine.
    @crackzilla: You're not the only one. The only issues I had with the phone were when I installed a leaked OS and that's my own decision to do so. Notice the OP -- his girlfriend has an iPhone ... if that's what he was expecting, he was sure to be disappointed. The Storm is not (and as far as I'm concerned was never meant to be) the iPhone. Two friends of mine and three co-workers got the Storm after I got it because I loved it. None of them have had any significant problems, though I will say they are much happier with .148.

Now, to the OP ... some things to think about:
    1: How far into your contract are you? How far into her contract is your gf? You have to consider ETF, which vzw pro-rates.

2: If you are trying to get an iPhone experience from a BlackBerry, you won't. You should just get another iPhone and share the bill with your girlfriend. The BlackBerry excels at e-mailing. I use it for plenty more, but that's what it's designed to do - e-mail.

3: You will be leaving a 3G phone for a 2G phone with the 8900. Unless you tether, all data goes through RIM servers, and some say that the RIM servers bottleneck your speed so maybe you won't notice a huge difference. If you're predominantly e-mailing and going to mobile sites, I wouldn't be too nervous. Plus, isn't there another Blackberry with 3G coming soon to UMTS carriers? Depending on your contact, you may want to wait.

4: If you've been a Verizon user for a while, you WILL notice a difference in coverage.

5: Do you really think you can get your girlfriend to give up her iPhone for a BlackBerry?

Personally, I'd save a TON of money by getting her a vzw "dumbphone" with qwerty for texting, and get her an iPod touch. All the same apps, minus the phone, she'll have better phone reliability, and you'll save yourself a ton of money with a Family Share plan, unlimited in-texting, unlimited in-calling, and only one data plan.
    07-14-09 09:44 AM
    I LOVE my storm!! It hasn't given me any trouble.. I just wish I could get rid of the pre-installed pics and music..
    You can do this with BBFileScout
    07-14-09 09:47 AM
    id get the 8900 and save some $. go to the store and test it out lack of 3G (GASP) isnt that horrible
    07-14-09 09:58 AM
    ...what do you mean "isn't 3G"??? The phone works off of the EVDO, which is what Verizon's 3G is named. I see this alot... "Verizon doesn't have 3G... Verizon doesn't have 3G... Why doesn't my phone say 3G..." Your phone will say EV, which is the 3G network. It might be slightly slower than AT&T's 3G (which is simply called "3G"), but it's in a much larger coverage area. And the Tour ABSOLUTELY is 3G. I'm looking at our store demo right now and next to the bars it says "1XEV". That's the 3G everyone. :/
    07-14-09 10:34 AM
    ...what do you mean "isn't 3G"??? The phone works off of the EVDO, which is what Verizon's 3G is named. I see this alot... "Verizon doesn't have 3G... Verizon doesn't have 3G... Why doesn't my phone say 3G..." Your phone will say EV, which is the 3G network. It might be slightly slower than AT&T's 3G (which is simply called "3G"), but it's in a much larger coverage area. And the Tour ABSOLUTELY is 3G. I'm looking at our store demo right now and next to the bars it says "1XEV". That's the 3G everyone. :/
    Did you read the post?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 11:47 AM
    Please tell me how the BlackBerry 8900 is 3G.

Oh, that's right, you didn't read the post clearly.

Both the OP and I were cautious about switching FROM the Vzw phone to the BB 8900 because it lacks 3G. We're all very aware that Vzw has America's largest 3G network.
    07-14-09 12:05 PM
    im thinking at this point that i might just go with the tour and see how it works for 30 days...when i tried that phone out in the store yesterday it was very fast...as in broswer speeds...i could really test the battery backing because of the security thing that verizon puts on the back of floor model phone but it seem to work rather well...so yeah thinkg about just doing the tour and see what happenes. I have had very good luck with verizon as far as service goes...not that my girl and her iphone has had poor service but...no one ever likes to change what they are used to.
    07-14-09 12:48 PM
    i actually do have one quick question...on my storm and my curve if you go to like a team site...for instance boston red sox....if its the first time going there on that phone there will be a link to download that sites blackberry quick launch icon and i was not able to do that on the floor model tour yesterday...can somone clear that up that you can see use that feature or should i elaborate more.
    07-14-09 12:50 PM
    i actually do have one quick question...on my storm and my curve if you go to like a team site...for instance boston red sox....if its the first time going there on that phone there will be a link to download that sites blackberry quick launch icon and i was not able to do that on the floor model tour yesterday...can somone clear that up that you can see use that feature or should i elaborate more.
    Maybe someone beat you to it?

If it happens on your curve AND storm, I'd be willing to bet it will work on your new Tour. Congratulations! I think you'll end up staying with VzW
    07-14-09 01:05 PM
    yeah i looked all over the phone for the quick launch but couldnt find it..yeah im gunna get the tour for now and see what happens for the first 30 days....if it has problems then ill break my contract
    07-14-09 01:15 PM
    Please tell me how the BlackBerry 8900 is 3G.

Oh, that's right, you didn't read the post clearly.

Both the OP and I were cautious about switching FROM the Vzw phone to the BB 8900 because it lacks 3G. We're all very aware that Vzw has America's largest 3G network.
    OMG so I misread something. So sue me. I thought he was saying that the Tour wasn't 3G. My freakin bad.
    07-14-09 02:21 PM
    1: How far into your contract are you? How far into her contract is your gf? You have to consider ETF, which vzw pro-rates.
    AT&T pro-rates theirs, as well.

Service Agreement | AT&T.

2: If you are trying to get an iPhone experience from a BlackBerry, you won't. You should just get another iPhone and share the bill with your girlfriend. The BlackBerry excels at e-mailing. I use it for plenty more, but that's what it's designed to do - e-mail.
    If she likes her iPhone, get it & not risk the relationship. That is more important than a silly communications tool. If left up to the pros/cons of iPhone & BlackBerry alone, iPhone wins easily. It really is the network that separates the two. Or, as Eric mentioned, email - if that is important to you, nothing does email like BlackBerry. Still, other devices are not poor with email - they just aren't quite as fast. Some of them do a much better job rendering HTML formatting in email. In my opinion, nearly anything (including iPhone) does most everything else better. If you get her onto BlackBerry & it isn't something she wants, there will be one more thing for her to resent you for.

That iPhone thing is probably more powerful than the BlackBerry thing.

07-14-09 04:50 PM
    OMG so I misread something. So sue me. I thought he was saying that the Tour wasn't 3G. My freakin bad.
    Its okay - some of us still want you around.

07-14-09 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD