07-26-09 11:07 AM
45 12
tools
    what are you sending a short book cause if i get a text that long i would delete without actually reading it
    07-24-09 12:43 PM
    I always tell my hubby and vice versa that if we have more to say then 160 characters call the person!!!
    07-24-09 12:44 PM
    if it helps the argument, heres a picture from my storm when i switch to the sim card(att/GSM) under mobile network
    i have verizon but also have a backup prepaid att sim card, so here the pic from the message screen
    07-24-09 12:51 PM
    Extended Messaging Service
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    it's enhanced message service.....

and really...is it that big of a deal?
    07-24-09 01:00 PM
    It has been said over and over, Short Message Service was never intended for lengthy messages. Like already stated you could use MMS...
    You beat me to it Iceman!

Anyway, you could be in Russia where they only let you send 80 characters, and no one can understand those...I hear they're all in Russian! Sheesh....sneaky ruskies! lol.

I hate saying this, but it seems like laziness is taking over here.
    SEARCH THE BOARD PEOPLE SEARCH!
    07-24-09 01:09 PM
    Yeah this thread should be dead by now.
    07-24-09 01:13 PM
    About a month ago or so there was a congressman looking into why cell phone providers increased their charges for texting.

In the article I read, it stated that the reason for the 160 character limit was due to that's the amount of extra space provided when they piggyback texts with phone calls.

What that means is that texts cost cellular providers next to nothing but charge high fees to their customers. Because of this fact, someone in congress wanted to take a look at it.
    07-24-09 01:15 PM
    About a month ago or so there was a congressman looking into why cell phone providers increased their charges for texting.

In the article I read, it stated that the reason for the 160 character limit was due to that's the amount of extra space provided when they piggyback texts with phone calls.

What that means is that texts cost cellular providers next to nothing but charge high fees to their customers. Because of this fact, someone in congress wanted to take a look at it.
    Meaning that Carriers like money? We know that.
    07-24-09 01:20 PM
    Not true, SMS is a 160 character limit on the vast majority of all devices on all carriers.
    Yes ... however what most people are complaining about, and are unable to properly communicate ... is that most phones, smart or dumb, will take an SMS that goes longer than 160 characters and either create an EMS/MMS or will create multiple SMS messages.

CDMA Blackberries - for whatever reason - stop you at 160 characters and force you to create another message. GSM Blackberries will split up messages longer than 160 characters and send multiple SMS messages.

There is the app Beyond160 for CDMA Blackberries. There is also the e-mail system in your Blackberry, and there is MMS (something AT&T iPhone users STILL can't do, which I always like to point out ).
    07-24-09 01:22 PM
    (something AT&T iPhone users STILL can't do, which I always like to point out ).
    AHAHA its a deep burn.
    07-24-09 01:30 PM
    Iphones were supposed to be able to MMS with there last update of their OS weren't they?!?! hahaha!
    07-24-09 01:33 PM
    it's enhanced message service.....

and really...is it that big of a deal?
    I stand corrected, XMS and EMS are two completely different, but similar messaging services. The two tend to sometimes get confusing because they are almost the same. And no, its not that big of a deal.

Extended Messaging Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enhanced Messaging Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-24-09 01:48 PM
    Yeah for over 160 character email or call.
    07-24-09 01:51 PM
    Iphones were supposed to be able to MMS with there last update of their OS weren't they?!?! hahaha!
    Oh yes, the iPhone finally supports MMS. I read an article (and will link it if I can find it) that said that AT&T was the only network that sold and serviced the iPhone that would not support MMS upon release of OS 3.0 and iPhone 3GS.

AT&T also doesn't offer tethering yet, which was also enabled with OS 3.0.
    07-24-09 01:55 PM
    if it helps the argument, heres a picture from my storm when i switch to the sim card(att/GSM) under mobile network
    i have verizon but also have a backup prepaid att sim card, so here the pic from the message screen
    Someday we may understand why RIM left out the message split software capability from CDMA BlackBerrys. As for today, haven't a clue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 02:01 PM
    Someday we may understand why RIM left out the message split software capability from CDMA BlackBerrys. As for today, haven't a clue.
    But, what's odd -- and illustrated here -- is that the Storm *HAS* the capability, it just happens to be disabled when on CDMA and enabled when on GSM.

Makes very little sense to me.
    07-24-09 04:15 PM
    I just hate that you can only text 160 words! Why do they do this?!
    Its called MMS....lol
    Try it someday
    07-24-09 04:19 PM
    If you have to write that much in one message ya might as well give them a call : )
    07-24-09 04:27 PM
    Or a damn email what do you have a BB for?
    Couldn't agree more.
    07-26-09 10:34 AM
    Try email it works better.
    07-26-09 11:07 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD