07-26-09 12:07 PM
45 12
tools
    I just hate that you can only text 160 words! Why do they do this?!
    07-24-09 12:15 AM
    Here we go again...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 12:24 AM
    This should answer the question, and end the thread.

There's a reason why, and it has to do with the service being CDMA.

Doesnt really matter about anything else, there's no way they can change that

There is an app in APP WORLD called Beyond 160 that solves this problem. You do have to pay for it, but that will work.
    07-24-09 12:33 AM
    Easiest solution of all... Send MMS messages instead.
    07-24-09 12:36 AM
    I think that if we could text 160 words per message on Verizon, everyone would be quite happy.
    07-24-09 12:41 AM
    Exactly. You'll run into the same issue w/ Sprint.

You know, does it REALLY kill anyone to have to type an extra message? Or God forbid, if you have to really say something that can take a little space, to pick up the frickin' phone and actually make a call w/ the damn thing?

Seriously!
    07-24-09 12:44 AM
    SMS, by design, is only 160 characters. Want EMS with 500-1000 characters? Get an enV, a Nokia, a Moto Rival, a Blitz, a Chocolate 3, all on VZW.

It has NOTHING to do with being CDMA, gang.

07-24-09 12:54 AM
    SMS, by design, is only 160 characters. Want EMS with 500-1000 characters? Get an enV, a Nokia, a Moto Rival, a Blitz, a Chocolate 3, all on VZW.

There you go again...now these pillars of knowledge that think it's a CDMA limitation are secretly asking, "What's EMS?" ...
    07-24-09 08:22 AM
    I wish it was 160 words. The fact of the matter is, it is only 160 characters.
    07-24-09 08:28 AM
    haha Telus Mobility caps us at 140 words...
    some people have all the luck
    07-24-09 09:32 AM
    Extended Messaging Service, just like Twins said, was available on my old enV back in the day. It was nice for the SMS to automatically pull up another page and allow you to keep writing until your heart was content. If you really have the need to write such a huge SMS, try sending an email instead. An MMS is another alternative as well. Another acronym for Extended Messaging Service is XMS.

Last edited by cenloe; 07-24-09 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors
    07-24-09 09:32 AM

correct, its only a limitation on CDMA blackberries
    07-24-09 09:48 AM
    It has been said over and over, Short Message Service was never intended for lengthy messages. Like already stated you could use MMS...
    07-24-09 09:59 AM
    correct, its only a limitation on CDMA blackberries
    Not true, SMS is a 160 character limit on the vast majority of all devices on all carriers.
    07-24-09 10:05 AM
    haha Telus Mobility caps us at 140 words...
    some people have all the luck
    that sucks! ppl be glad at have 160, yes it is only 20 characters more, but if i do hit the 160 mark i can normally go back and shorten my message or i just hit my BB button and Go Beyond 160...its easy and worth the couple bucks.
    07-24-09 10:22 AM
    that sucks! ppl be glad at have 160, yes it is only 20 characters more, but if i do hit the 160 mark i can normally go back and shorten my message or i just hit my BB button and Go Beyond 160...its easy and worth the couple bucks.
    How can you go beyond? I heard people talking about an app that allows you too, but could you tell me what the app is called? I might splurge a couple of bucks for that if it is worth it
    07-24-09 10:28 AM
    How can you go beyond? I heard people talking about an app that allows you too, but could you tell me what the app is called? I might splurge a couple of bucks for that if it is worth it
    Its called Go Beyond or Beyond 160.
    07-24-09 10:29 AM
    Ghostie...try the free version and make sure the app is for you before you buy it. Good luck...it works well for me.
    07-24-09 10:59 AM
    Short Message Service. Not Write a Book messaging service. Like others have said.....if you want to go longer, send an MMS.
    07-24-09 11:51 AM
    Or a damn email what do you have a BB for?
    07-24-09 12:34 PM
    Okay I just read this.

Effective immediatly since you hate VZW for SMS, they are reducing the number again to 120 characters.

you verify this at

www.vzw.com/thisisreallybsandforhumor
    07-24-09 12:48 PM
    OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay I just read this.

Effective immediatly since you hate VZW for SMS, they are reducing the number again to 120 characters.

you verify this at

www.vzw.com/thisisreallybsandforhumor
    07-24-09 12:50 PM
    But if it was more than 160 characters the party receiving the message would say "why didn't you say more, you know you have more than 160 to work with"
    07-24-09 12:53 PM
    Many people like Beyond160 - it is capable & has a small footprint. Personally, I don't like it - extra steps - I don't like extra steps!

Solutions - almost all VZW dumbphones offer SMS, EMS & MMS. All non-BlackBerry VZW smartphones can handle longer messages, either through use of EMS or by splitting the message.

There are pros & cons to splitting vs EMS. Splitting messages ensures your message will go through, regardless of the recipient's service capabilities. The problem is, you get tagged for multiple messages - a possible issue if you or your recipient doesn't have unlimited messages. You may forget that the person you're texting might be paying for texts. It is bad enough you might be assuming they want to pay to receive your message & now you're sending them five? Or six? This is a potential issue with Beyond160, too.

EMS doesn't split the messages - it sends one big one. The problem with this is twofold - one, if the person you're sending the message to is not EMS capable, the message will be truncated. Two is each time you send a message with more than 160 characters, you will get a warning telling you of point one.

Then there are issues with some users on some networks receiving MMS messages...

07-24-09 01:09 PM
    But if it was more than 160 characters the party receiving the message would say "why didn't you say more, you know you have more than 160 to work with"
    Its called sms... SHORT message system...
    07-24-09 01:14 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD