07-20-11 01:53 AM
32 12
tools
    So meanwhile my wife and kids are still using "special needs" phones (aka, non-smartphones). With the new data plans offered by Verizon, I was thinking I could get them into smartphones and only have to pay $10 per month per phone extra (they're at home and/or school most of the time and should'nt really have a need for a big data plan). However, I've learned that the $10 data plan only applies to "featured" phones. Please forgive me for my ignorance, but how in the world is data used on a featured phone different that data used on a smartphone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 11:47 AM
    Theoretically because you will use less on a feature phone because they typically aren't as data/app featured as smartphones, so they are willing to charge less.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    07-14-11 11:50 AM
    So meanwhile my wife and kids are still using "special needs" phones (aka, non-smartphones). With the new data plans offered by Verizon, I was thinking I could get them into smartphones and only have to pay $10 per month per phone extra (they're at home and/or school most of the time and should'nt really have a need for a big data plan). However, I've learned that the $10 data plan only applies to "featured" phones. Please forgive me for my ignorance, but how in the world is data used on a featured phone different that data used on a smartphone?

technically its not "different data" but VZW has always classified feature phones different than a smart phone. Feature phones are severely limited in what they can do and use very very little data compared to what a 5 minute browsing session with a smartphone can do.
    07-14-11 11:52 AM
    Ok, I get that, but if you go over, you go over; why does Verizon care what device you're using?

07-14-11 11:58 AM
    becuase the data use is so much different. they are saving you money by giving you a break for feature phones at $10 instead of normal data fees IMO. a smartphone (BB, android or iphone) are all treated the same. they have to potentional to rack up tons of data. Just because you wont be using it any more than a feature phone doesnt matter to them
    07-14-11 12:07 PM
    Same with tethering. They charge more because you will average more data use. Doesn't matter if you still stay under the cap or not

07-14-11 12:11 PM
    Ok, I get that, but if you go over, you go over; why does Verizon care what device you're using?

It's so you won't get a bill for $1000+ and then call and ***** about it. On a smartphone you will use more data just by having the phone sit in your pocket/purse than you would a feature phone that you are actually using.
    07-14-11 12:43 PM
    Same with tethering. They charge more because you will average more data use. Doesn't matter if you still stay under the cap or not

This is bs from all carriers and I know many do not agree. If I don't go over what I'm paying for what's the problem? If I do go over then by all means tack more onto my bill.

I guess I could just stream all kinds of crap all day long that I don't even listen to or watch just to spite them so I get my moneys worth. Will they charge me more for that?
    07-14-11 01:02 PM
    Sorry, but I'm just not buying this. Data is data. Your usage can be easily monitored via your on-line accout. For the life of me, I can not understand why Verizon cares what device we're using (aside from them wanting to screw us out of - even more - money).

07-14-11 01:15 PM
    then you can keep not buying it but its not going to change. You are going to have to cough up $30 for 2 GB data on a smartphone plan
    MissJennell#IM likes this.
    07-14-11 01:22 PM
    This is bs from all carriers and I know many do not agree. If I don't go over what I'm paying for what's the problem? If I do go over then by all means tack more onto my bill.

I guess I could just stream all kinds of crap all day long that I don't even listen to or watch just to spite them so I get my moneys worth. Will they charge me more for that?
    It's like I said in another thread. They aren't actually charging everyone at the rates they give you. They are charging at what they expect you to use.

ie. if they offer a 2gb data plan, they expect the average use to actually be 800mb (just example numbers). If everyone literally starts using almost 2gb plan prices will go up.
    07-14-11 02:26 PM
    Well that's crap too lol. I wonder how much data people on android and iphone use on their phone only, for that matter on bb too.

I tether almost every day for hours and my highest data consumption has been 1.2gb and my average is around 900mb. I can imagine many use much more on their phone only.

It all depends on what you do.
    07-14-11 02:35 PM
    With decent use it's not hard to get 3-4gb on android without tethering.

Way beyond that tethering. Even with the same use you will just use a lot more. Instead of loading a 300kb mobile page you will load a full-blown 3mb+ page including flash ads, etc (for one page). Is your usage necessarily different? Possibly not (depends what you do on the site). You're loading the same page, just a different version of it at a way, way higher data usage.
    07-14-11 02:39 PM
    That's what I figured.
    07-14-11 02:40 PM
    Well that's crap too lol. I wonder how much data people on android and iphone use on their phone only, for that matter on bb too.

I tether almost every day for hours and my highest data consumption has been 1.2gb and my average is around 900mb. I can imagine many use much more on their phone only.

It all depends on what you do.
    I have an iphone and I don't tether. I use about 4GB a month on average. Just on my phone.
    07-14-11 03:32 PM
    I don't think I've ever gone above 2GBs BUT I do push it on some months.
    07-14-11 04:34 PM
    It seems I use much less tethering for hours every day then a lot use just on their phone yet they want to charge me more to tether, which they don't because I use the tether app. How much do you pay for your plans?

I think they should throttle, cut off or charge the abusers more. Not saying you all are abusers at all but I do know some people download like crazy and use 5+gb a month.
    07-14-11 07:30 PM
    It seems I use much less tethering for hours every day then a lot use just on their phone yet they want to charge me more to tether, which they don't because I use the tether app. How much do you pay for your plans?

I think they should throttle, cut off or charge the abusers more. Not saying you all are abusers at all but I do know some people download like crazy and use 5+gb a month.
    People who use 5GB+ a month are not abusers. Just because you don't doesn't mean that they are abusers. If you pay for 5GB+ then how are you abusing anything? That doesn't even make sense. I pay for unlimited. So I should be able to use any amount that I want. I mean I am not going to go and try to use as much as I can but I am going to use my phone as I wish and not worry about anything. If I payed for 2GB then I would be sticking to under 2GB. And so forth. It's crazy to think that people abuse their data when they are just using what they are paying for.
    07-14-11 09:23 PM
    OK maybe abuser was the wrong word but I'm talking more about being charged more to tether and still using less data. BTW I have unlimited also but most all unlimited has a 5gb cap so in reality it's not unlimited.

The point is that the carriers want to charge you more to tether whether you use 10mb or 5gb when you're all ready paying for unlimited capped 5gb. I agree with you you should get what you pay for. I guess I should've said the people that use 10, 20gb if that is even possible.
    07-14-11 09:29 PM

Who's abusing what here? You use a tether app that bypasses Verizon's plan, so you don't have to pay. And you wonder why they charge so much?
    07-16-11 12:15 PM
    Sorry, I'm not getting my point across the way I wanted to. So just forget it.
    07-16-11 02:25 PM
    Tethering is abuse, but if you actually honestly use that much data per month that's not abuse.
    07-16-11 11:41 PM
    It seems you've missed the point (or I didn't do a good job defining the point). The question is, if Verizon offers a $10 data plan, why can't that be used for a smartphone? Who cares what device is using the data? If you go over your alloted amount, you pay.

They don't offer it for smartphones. THAT is the point.
    07-19-11 05:52 PM
    That is one of the features of a capitalist economic system. VZW is allowed to charge whatever they want for data plans. You, as a consumer, are also free to choose a different carrier if you dislike VZW's policies. That's just how it works, whether you like it or not.
    07-19-11 08:15 PM
    That is one of the features of a capitalist economic system. VZW is allowed to charge whatever they want for data plans. You, as a consumer, are also free to choose a different carrier if you dislike VZW's policies. That's just how it works, whether you like it or not.
    Again, not the point. However, many thanks for the lesson in economics.
    07-19-11 09:11 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD