So i get a call welcoming me as a new customer and the rep told me that my storm 2 can also be used as a modem as part of my plan.

Is that true and how do I go about doing that??
    03-01-10 09:48 PM
    Yes, use Tetherberry instead, its only a one time fee instead of monthly.
    03-01-10 10:09 PM
    Be careful with TetherBerry...

Many members have been charged with hundreds of dollars in overages as it is against the Terms of Service.

Not worth the risk to me to save a few bucks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 10:22 PM
    So there is a charge for it? Or is it part of my Family Share and $30 data plan?
    03-01-10 11:47 PM
    So there is a charge for it? Or is it part of my Family Share and $30 data plan?
    If you are paying the BIS ($30 a month) you will need to pay an ADDITIONAL $30/month. If you are paying BES/Enterprise ($45/month) you'll need to pay an ADDITIONAL $15/month.
    03-01-10 11:53 PM
    Its like an extra $10 -$15 a month. I believe Tetherberry is $50 one time fee. I use it with my macbook and never had any problems. Just watch your usage and don't go crazy with it.
    Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 03-02-10 at 12:02 AM.
    03-01-10 11:54 PM
    Its like an extra $10 -$15 a month. I believe Tetherberry is $50 one time fee. I use it with my macbook and never had any problems and its not illegal they can't charge you.
    It's against their Terms of Service and YES, they can and DO charge you!
    03-01-10 11:56 PM
    Is that true and how do I go about doing that??
    Go to vzw.com, and from the Plan tab, select Mobile Broadband. Scroll down to the bottom and look at the Mobile Broadband Connect Plans. All the info is there.
    03-01-10 11:58 PM
    This is from Verizon's TOS when you get a data package.

PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect.

Tethering through Verizon, they do cap you at 5GB. If you use TetherBerry, you do run the risk of having your account flagged and charged.
    03-02-10 12:00 AM
    This is from Verizon's TOS when you get a data package.

PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the devices native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect.

Tethering through Verizon, they do cap you at 5GB. If you use TetherBerry, you do run the risk of having your account flagged and charged.
    Meh, if you use it for standard web browsing on occasion you'll be fine with tetherberry. Just don't go torrenting or using it as your primary internet connection, it'll raise a red flag and you'll be more likely to get caught and billed by the megabyte. Your call though.
    03-02-10 12:06 AM
    Exactly^ dont go crazy with it and you'll be fine.
    03-02-10 12:11 AM
    Yep. I agree. I don't think it's worth the risk. But I tend to play it safe. I would hate to have a bill of 1.99 per MB for 8 GB of data.

03-02-10 12:16 AM
    thanks for all the info
    03-02-10 12:20 AM
    Yep. I agree. I don't think it's worth the risk. But I tend to play it safe. I would hate to have a bill of 1.99 per MB for 8 GB of data.

1.99 a MB is for handset data; its 0.05 a MB for overage on a 5GB account and 0.10 overage on a 250 MB account, when using Mobile Broadband or Mobile Broadband Connect.
    03-02-10 03:54 AM
    1.99 a MB is for handset data; its 0.05 a MB for overage on a 5GB account and 0.10 overage on a 250 MB account, when using Mobile Broadband or Mobile Broadband Connect.
    But that's when you're signed up for Mobile Broadband. Those are overages.
    03-02-10 10:02 AM
    Overages are very easy to rack up with this service be careful
    03-02-10 10:05 AM
    Anyone who 'got caught' simply were downloading torrents or streaming video. 5GB can be done in a couple of days when downloading DVDs and such. For email and regular web browsing, it works fine with no problems whatsoever.
    03-02-10 01:37 PM
    @pshift, it CAN work fine. Verizon could charge you for overage at any time. The people who stream or torrent just raise the red flag FASTER. There are plenty of people on this forum that have been red flagged and were regular people browsing sites. They were charged hundreds of dollars if not in the thousands.

@OP, just proceed with caution and the knowledge that you've been warned. You can't turn to Verizon later and say..."I didn't know" and hope for some slack.
    03-02-10 02:34 PM
    Just a thought.. but those who use Tetherberry, and thus would risk incurring overages tend to NOT have a 5gb or 250mb account. The whole reason for tetherberry is to circumvent the monthly charges for tethering..
    03-02-10 03:52 PM
    Just a thought.. but those who use Tetherberry, and thus would risk incurring overages tend to NOT have a 5gb or 250mb account. The whole reason for tetherberry is to circumvent the monthly charges for tethering..
    That is true, BIS and BES are unlimited and non-capped plans...as long as it is data access from the handset and not tethering. Like I stated previously, it is against the TOS (I even quoted it). It is extremely detailed in not using your handset as a tethered modem. If you want to use TetherBerry or other similar programs, use at your own risk.
    03-02-10 05:28 PM
    If you just need it once in a while then get tetherberry. But if you are going to use it daily, get tethering added to your plan.
    03-02-10 11:47 PM
    Do these restrictions apply to Verizon's GlobalEmail (global unlimited data) plan as well? Probably a stupid question, but where can I read the Terms and Conditions for this plan online?
    03-09-10 10:15 PM
    I ran 9.9GB through Sprint last month, have not heard a peep. Of course 99% was via Tether.

Previous months I have ran 3-6GB through Tether on Sprint, never a word.

Not sure how Verizon reacts. I am sure it's against both TOS's.
    03-10-10 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD