Warning to those who don't want t hear a rant. I am furious with vzw!

I have contacted customer service many times never satisfied but when they told me my contract was up and I could get the storm when I thought I couldn't I was soooo happy. Now the question of this stupid god **** plan come into play. They say I can't use the premium nation wide plan on the storm cause it's not a vcast phone (that was today) or it's not available on the premium (yesterday). I want my vz nav included, not pay extra. Especially when I'm on a family plan with 3 lines including me in those three. From what they told me we'd all have to pay $10 each for vz nav and that just aint gonna happen. I have no intention of paying a separate individual plan either. All I want is to either save money or pay the same amount. I have had it with their cheep useless price gouging service. I've been looking forward to this phone for forever and now their telling me I have to pay more? I want the storm but I really don't wanna pay extra for all this. I've even been thinking of switching services just cause I can't take this anymore. I want a good phone for a good price! Not be forced to pay for something so pointlessly.

If anyone has any information on how to help me with this I ask you, please share it with this (wish to be) first time bb user.

Thank you.
    11-16-08 04:40 PM
    no Consolation I am sure, but Premium plans will not work on any Blackberry
    11-16-08 04:53 PM
    They didn't lie to you. Premium pricing isn't BB compatible. BB's use a different price plan than other phones, and it's 29.99 for the BB data plan. And VZNav is another 10.

My feeling is buying a TomTom or Garmin would be cheaper in the long run. That's one solution to your VZNav problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 04:59 PM
    Keep your Premium plan and simply add BIS for $29.99. You have to do this because your Premium plan only supports data on Web2.0 phones, not PDA or BB devices. All the other stuff should still work the same.
    11-16-08 05:01 PM
    When you say add BIS does that mean a single user account cause again I really don't want to do that. Please clarify. I am new to all this. Thank you.
    11-16-08 06:34 PM
    We have a family plan. I am a BB and my husband is not. I have the $29.99 BIS on mine - you have to with a BB. Vznav will be an additional $10 for you though.

11-16-08 06:38 PM
    Please tell me what BIS stands for? Is it a single user plan? Does it cost more when adding up? This includes vz nav at the end. If I don't end up paying more then I can get it.
    11-16-08 06:42 PM
    BIS= Blackberry Internet Service. This is the vehicle that delivers email to your device.
    11-16-08 06:46 PM
    You will have to purchase the vznav on a BB if you want it. It does not matter which plan you have. A BB requires a data plan to use. Each BB on a plan requires their own BIS data plan. You can still share minutes no matter if you have BBs or not.

You will end up paying more to have a BB because the BB has its own data plan.

11-16-08 06:52 PM
    Keep your Premium plan and simply add BIS for $29.99. You have to do this because your Premium plan only supports data on Web2.0 phones, not PDA or BB devices. All the other stuff should still work the same.
    Premium plans on Blackberry are oil and water. To change an ESN to a Blackberry ESN you have to remove premium, I know from experience.
    11-16-08 06:53 PM
    No, you do not. But you do have to get in touch with someone that has the ability to grandfather plans and features to your account. Verizon Executive Relations has this ability. VZW cannot force a plan change due to handset change. They can require you to have a BIS or BES plan added to your "base" plan you already have, but cannot force you to change your base plan. There are people who work for Verizon that have the power to make this happen... the reps at local branches and their managers have no such abilities. Believe it...
    11-16-08 07:18 PM
    No, you do not. But you do have to get in touch with someone that has the ability to grandfather plans and features to your account. Verizon Executive Relations has this ability. VZW cannot force a plan change due to handset change. They can require you to have a BIS or BES plan added to your "base" plan you already have, but cannot force you to change your base plan. There are people who work for Verizon that have the power to make this happen... the reps at local branches and their managers have no such abilities. Believe it...
    im there also im a prem. plan with my voyager they vzw is all i need to add is the 29.99 deal
    11-16-08 08:13 PM
    With approval from certain departments I believe reps and managers can grandfather plans, by hypothetically in this case unless I'm misunderstanding:

If this line is a primary premium it's 30 more than he/she would pay on select, included in that 30 would be Nav, Unl mobile email (already included in BIS 29.99) and internet access (included in BIS 29.99). So you're paying 30 dollars for a 10 dollar application plus your 29.99 for BIS.

If this line is a secondary premium it's 20 more than the line would be paying for select. Same math, same features but 20 dollars for a 10 dollar application plus your 29.99 for BIS.

So if one were to take the time to escalate to someone who has the ability to make the change, you'd be doing so to pay more money? Am I missing something here?
    11-16-08 08:20 PM
    And (after reading the original post again) the other lines on the account wanted to maintain their premium services all you would have to do would be to switch the Primary line, keep the line in question as a secondary select line (9.99 + 10 for nav + 29.99 for BIS=49.98 v. 29.99 for premium secondary line + 29.99 for 49.98) and put your BIS and Nav app separate on the bill. Either way your end goal of "saving money or paying the same" can happen.
    11-16-08 08:23 PM
    Thx for the help everyone. However it looks like unless I can talk to them about all this and the account holder (not me) I won't be getting a storm any time soon. But hey, least I'll be able to play with it in the stores. And if anyone comes near me I can just bite their hands lol. Wow, addicted and I've never even used a blackberry lol. Thx again everyone.
    11-17-08 11:24 AM
    Does anyone know if I choose the Blackberry Storm on the Premium plan (1350 minutes, with all the bells and whistles) and add the $29.99 blackberry package, will I be able to get my employee 20% discount for the 1350 plan and the feature add-on or just the plan?
    11-17-08 11:36 AM
    With approval from certain departments I believe reps and managers can grandfather plans, by hypothetically in this case unless I'm misunderstanding:

If this line is a primary premium it's 30 more than he/she would pay on select, included in that 30 would be Nav, Unl mobile email (already included in BIS 29.99) and internet access (included in BIS 29.99). So you're paying 30 dollars for a 10 dollar application plus your 29.99 for BIS.

If this line is a secondary premium it's 20 more than the line would be paying for select. Same math, same features but 20 dollars for a 10 dollar application plus your 29.99 for BIS.

So if one were to take the time to escalate to someone who has the ability to make the change, you'd be doing so to pay more money? Am I missing something here?
    Nope, you're not missing anything. Your math is correct, but if you contact the correct person you'd be able to keep VZNav on the account as included from the Premium plan. So, basically, you'd be paying for the plan and everything it had originally except you'd have to add $29.99 to get you date and which only replaces the Web2.0 data part of the plan. I know, it's a round about way to get things done, but I know people that have done it once they got in touch with the right person. For them, it came out a bit cheaper doing that then switching and adding on features.
    11-17-08 12:52 PM
    Does anyone know if I choose the Blackberry Storm on the Premium plan (1350 minutes, with all the bells and whistles) and add the $29.99 blackberry package, will I be able to get my employee 20% discount for the 1350 plan and the feature add-on or just the plan?
    I get a discount on our plan.

11-17-08 01:15 PM
    Nope, you're not missing anything. Your math is correct, but if you contact the correct person you'd be able to keep VZNav on the account as included from the Premium plan. So, basically, you'd be paying for the plan and everything it had originally except you'd have to add $29.99 to get you date and which only replaces the Web2.0 data part of the plan. I know, it's a round about way to get things done, but I know people that have done it once they got in touch with the right person. For them, it came out a bit cheaper doing that then switching and adding on features.

Speaking as an employee in tech support, With a BB the vznav is going to cost you the extra $10. Doesn't matter who you talk to. The plans are not built to support premium because of the type of device (non-vcast).

As someone mentioned before, change one of the secondary lines to the primary and yours to the secondary, that way they can still keep the premium, and your line would change to a secondary with the bb data pkg $29.99. Irs really very simple.
    11-21-08 03:01 AM
    I can't believe that VZW makes you pay 3x for the navigator if you have a family share!!! That is REDICULOUS!!!
    11-21-08 08:28 AM
    You would think there would be some kind of courtesy in that your even choosing to pay an extra $10 a line to have basically the same amount of minutes on 3 phones!!! Pay for VZ Nav once for your 3 lines just seems like common sense!
    11-21-08 08:31 AM
    I've been with Verizon forever... First let me say that I too am a first time BB user... and i've learned A LOT about BB's from this forum....

To answer you:
    BB's are not VCast phones.. this is true...

Unlike VCast phones where you can order VZNAV as you need it for 2.99/each use, or you can have the Premium Nationwide Plan where it's included, with a BB, you cannot order VZNav as you need it.. it's either pay $10 / month or dont have it at all. It's a long story as to why, but that's the way it is. Blackberry's use a different type of service to transmit data, so that's why the Premium Plan doesnt work....

You will need an upgraded data plan to handle the BB needs... nothing they're telling you is any different from what i heard when I got my BB after i tossed my Voyager.

In the end, when all is said and done, i'm saving $10 /month by not having the Premium plan and using the BB plan (I paid extra for data and now it's included). I chose not to get VZ Nav this time because it's not included in the package. I downloaded Google Maps and that serves its purpose for the minimal i need it. that $10 savings could very well be used to pay for VZNav, but i chose not to pay it when i dont use it THAT much.

Good luck to you... but keep in mind if you change service companies, you will lose the strength of the connection... you get what you pay for... and no company is really any better... you might get one aggravation satisfied, but there will be another. Just keep that in mind.
    Last edited by MysticMoonstone; 11-21-08 at 09:35 AM.
    11-21-08 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD